Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reb

Need some help

at the risk of looking like a complete idiot, im gonna ask for some total newbie help for XWE

ive looked around a little bit but i cant really find any help to get me started, and the main thing im trying to do is get a texture like SKY1, and apply it to a flat, so that it looks like im looking up at the sky in doom, and so it moves.

any help is appreciated

thanks

Do you just want to change the sky used in the level(s), or do you want to give a certain room another sky?

well, i use doombuilder to make my wads, and when your choosing a texture for a wall, you can see that SKY1, SKY2, etc can be chosen, and id like to be able to apply that textureto the ceiling, so that it looks like im looking up at the sky

and it would be nice if the sky looked like an actual sky, so that it turns and whatnot. sorry if thats hard to understand

for example, id like it if i could get it to look like im looking out of the top of a building and theres no roof, like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Doom_ingame_1.png

thanks alot

You need to select F_SKY1 as the flat for the sector's ceiling. F_SKY1 is just a "placeholder" that tells the engine to draw the sky in its place.

thanks alot

that was a stupid mistake on my part :P

one more question, is it possible to change the skys appearance, like, choose if sky1 or a diff one shows up for the level?

again, thanks alot

Reb said:
is it possible to change the skys appearance, like, choose if sky1 or a diff one shows up for the level?

You can change the sky by changing the patch (graphic), either by including another sky with the same name as the standard one (SKY1 in DOOM or RSKY1 in DOOM II) or by telling the SKY1 texture in TEXTURE1 to use a different graphic that you'd include (such as a patch called NEWSKY or something).

That's the normal way to do it, that works with any engine, and changes the sky for the whole episode. Also, some advanced engines allow you to change the sky in a single level or for part of a level.