Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ladeda

Cannot run eternal doom, last resort

I have easily installed eternal doom and have put everything where needs to be (I hope). My only issue is when I run ETERNAL.BAT. I've tried all I could, even consulted the teamTNT website and checked all the readme files, YET I STILL DON'T KNOW WHY WHENEVER I PRESS ANY KEY IT JUST WON'T RESPOND AT ALL! Press "Enter" to start? Nope, won't work. Press "F4" to change difficulty? Nope, won't work either. I just don't understand why it won't take any of the key commands it says it will. If anyone on the doomworld forum knows how they could help me, please do so!

THANKS.

It's not really clear from your post what you are trying to do, but if you're trying to use the 10 year old DOS front-end that came with Eternal in a modern operating system, you shouldn't be surprised it doesn't work right. Just run the wad with a modern port (GZdoom is good), like any other wad.

Do you use a port ?
If yes, you must change the .bat or copy paste eternall.wad on the exe of your port.
If no, I think that the advice from larsboy is right.

As mentioned, it is unlikely that the original DOS front-end will still work on your current OS, but it really isn't needed.

To run Eternal Doom, just use

<source port> -file eternal.wad
To run the Eternal Doom credits map use
<source port> -file eternal.wad credits.wad
To run the Eternal Doom Cybersweeper game (which is pretty neat), you should first run rancy.exe to randomize the map, and then run the game with csweeper.wad. You can make a batch file to make it a lot simpler:

cybersweeper.bat:
rancy
<source port> -file eternal.wad csweeper.wad
Of course, you should replace "<source port>" with the filename of the executable of the source port of your choice. If you wish to keep your Eternal Doom files in a separate directory for organizational purposes, just change the above lines to specify a relative path to the files (e.g. -file eternal/eternal.wad).

I hope that helps!

And use the command line -complevel 2 if you want to play like in doom2.exe with prboom (like me), etc...
Reckoner, it's useless to say that but, it's eternall.wad :P

He specified that he already ran the installation program, which will produce "eternal.wad," which can then be run using -file as I said. As you both mentioned, one could also use eternall.wad with -merge to produce the same result.