Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

Two days, three real-life Doom locations

Just before Christmas, I visited the following locations within the space of two days:
Trinity College, Cambridge
St John's College, Cambridge
The Roman Baths, Bath

As you can see from the links, these have all been the subject of Doom maps (the first rather more famous than the others) that followed the layout of the locations reasonably faithfully. Shame I couldn't fit in Stonehenge as well. I saw the old Cavendish Labs too, but this wad is based on the new ones, so I can't claim that in the total.

My knowledge of the Trinity wad proved useful, as I recalled the passage next to the Dining Hall that leads through to Nevile's Court behind it (not sure I would have remembered otherwise!). I'll admit I cast a slightly nervous glance towards the rooms to the left off that passageway.

So, post about your own experiences visiting places that were made into Doom maps, etc.

Indeed, I remember playing that Trinity College map.
It was included on a CD which was packaged with this huge book called "3D Game Alchemy" by Sams Publishing.

That book was one of my best resources for learning how to make WADs.
And in one of its chapters it had a very praising review of the Trinity College map, with a gorgeous screenshot.
(The screenshot was in black-and-white, but it still looked gorgeous.)

I visited the UAC_DEAD spaceport once, it was just like the WAD. The invisible staircase was fun to walk on.

Funny, i live 25 minutes away from Cambridge and have never visited any of the colleges... except Cambridge Regional College, aka the scrat-factory. But that's different

(actually part of level 3 of my "ultimate hell" wad was based on CRC, but i lost it in a crash and don't know how much of the original i now have. There's a shot on WIP though)

I grew up in a suburb, and coincidentally enough it features a massive brick wall in the middle of town for no reason and a radioactive pond in the corner.

The Architecture building at Lincoln university on the other hand, features pillars in the middle of tiny, cramped rooms, hallways that come off other hallways at bizarre angles leaving "sharp" walls, these hallways then just end with an impassable linedef (er, window with no frame at all, just glass where a wall might be), completley pointless doors joining this hallway to the one it comes off. I bet i could even find a misaligned texture if i looked hard enough