Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultimablah

Did you find Doom 3 scary?

In all honesty, I jumped at a few points, and it's easily the most affecting game I've played. But, overall, it's not scary... just suprising.

How about you?

I was scared the first time, but only cus i knew there were monster closets all over the place. I didn't like moving near a door or a corner
cus i knew something would probably jump at my! But after you have played the game its not scary at all.

both the human campaign of AvP2 as well as System Shock 2 were far scarier than Doom3 (in their times at least, haven't played either in awhile.)

Video games in general don't really scare me, so, overall, no. But I have an illogical fear of the undead (zombies), so the parts that were really zombie heavy weirded me out, and I'd save and stop playing for a bit. Getting the first shotgun is a real test for me, sometimes.

Not scared, but my eyes lit up a few times when I got sneaked attacked by an imp the first time playing through.

DooM 3 wasn't any different from the prequels for me, as far as the fear factor goes. Basically, it wasn't more than jumping a bit when someone/thing attacks me from the side or behind when I'm sure there's noone/thing there. Then again, I've only played the demo version.

As long as I keep cold, I don't find Doom 3 to be scary, but it is disturbing (disquieting). It's still a very sound intensive game, and some sounds are disturbing as they should be.

Maybe that I don't have better sound intensive games installed on my computer could be a reason too.

I think scariness differs by person, just like humour.

i didnt find it all too scary or anything, but there were quite a few nasty surprises. the only time i ever got scared is when i have like 3 bullets left , 3 health, and im trying to get past some part that has like 10 commandos running around doing that stupid noise and im hiding in an air vent.

Doom_master1122 said:
jumped a few times, but not anymore.

This.

After fighting off really fucked up monsters with nothing more then a rusty pipe in silent hill, being a heavily armed space marine didn't quite compare. That said: Doom 3 did get me to jump on my second play through. and that's no easy feat.

Mars Underground was the scariest bit of the game. If the rest of it was like that, instead of just monster closets all the time, it probably would have been really good.

There were other moments too, like the chainsaw zombie first encounter, and that bit where the skeleton gets thrown by an invisible force. Good stuff.

[edit] Oops, sorry, I didn't notice this was actually in the Doom3 forum. I've made it a personal rule to not come here and bitch about D3 because I've said my piece before and I don't want to piss you guys off by going on about it. I'm too busy moaning about Steam and Football anyway. ;)[/edit]

I jumped quite a bit quite often as I went through the beginning of the game. But for some reason the effect wore off...

The Imp in the mentioned 'zoo' made me jump aswell.
"OH MAH GAWD ITZ GONNA GET MEh!"

kristus said:

Confusing? What on earth did you find confusing?

The sameness of the level design.

Like: 'OMG! This corridor looks like the one I was in 15 minutes ago. Wait, the one I was in an hour ago also looked like this one. Where the F*ck am I?' I got absolutely no sense of place out of the maze-like design.

I found DOOM (1) more tense the first time I played it. Quake also was more tense back then. Still I jumped a pair of times, and the first maps and the Pinky introduction were great.

I should mention I have only played the demos.

I find Doom 3 is a little scary when you dont cheat. For confusing levels though see Quake 4, WHERE THE HELL IS THAT DAMN MEDIC!

Funny Story, first time I played Doom3. We enter the UAC base, and see one of there sentries. Thinking like it is an Arachnatron from Doom II, I punch like crazy at it, until I realize it does not fight back ;)

I have to get that new Video Card so I can play Doom3 on my Linux Box. Damn ATI not making decent drivers sooner.

The first FPS game I played Bad Toys, scared me. But then I was five or six or something.

The only game that EVER kept me up at night was Blood, that chant in E1M5 just got stuck in my head.

I'd consider Doom 3 to be "atmospheric", rather than scary at all. There are way too many preprogrammed challenges, which make the game feel mechanical. Such things aren't scary because they're intendedly predictable.

Only the beginning of the invasion scared me, or atleast made me very paranoid. Zombies were crawling out of everwhere; behind you, below you, next to you, under you, and it was hard to expect what would happen next.

I was like 9 when I played Doom 3, and I only really got scared at the start of the invasion, of course I was also trying to master mouse/keyboard controls. I tried replaying the game now and it bored me so much I stopped playing.

With that said I do not get scared easily.

Well.. I got scared couple of times... but there is always that Doom feeling, Little scared all the time, sometimes even more, But still, Doom,Doom2,Doom3,Doom roe. Are best games I have ever played. they are just perfect

I jumped a bit as well but the only time i was scared was in hell >.< it was the dark rooms and small spaces

InfraRed said:

i thought it was completely repetitive and lame.

it was just about as bad as the movie.

WHAT?!?! The movie was crap but the game is great! And even more so if one likes mapping for it. What did you exspect from a Doom game anyway?

Complicated and diverse gameplay?!?

I don't think so.....

warriordoomer said:

i hated the movie,but to me doom 3 is just a game based on the movie so i dont think its to good

Despite the fact that Doom 3 was created before the movie?