Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Butts

a deathmatch map i made

read the whole post... i was bored so i thought i would try to make a deathmatch map. it is in boom format. it is also my first deathmatch map. but i want it to be good, so i tried to make a fun layout. obviously, the map is not finished, but the layout is unless whoever would like to try this map out has suggestions for making it better. once i get all the needed help and suggestions and tweak all the little gameplay things i will go back and detail the map. here is the map for you to test out...please?

http://www.speedyshare.com/447863812.html

note: all jumps can be made without use of jumping. all lifts can be made if you are good enough at straferunning.

K!r4 said:

There is few SSG Torn :-)
Btw, this map is not bad at all for a TDM.

I guess I am blind then. :P
Well, the layout is fine as it is. However maybe the stairs have too high steps in my opinion. But it was really just a fast run-through I had.

I think the layout is actually very good.

Not a big fan of self-opening doors (in Doom I expect to press use button to open them). I'm not saying you should get rid of them, but at least make it consistent (there was one or two manual doors in there as well, not counting the exit door which should stay manual).

I don't like the strafe jump to get to the plasma rifle. Not everybody is an absolute expert player. Perhaps make the other side a bit lower so it's easier to cross.

Finally the teleport once you get the plasma is a bit weird, taking you to a sniper position (I know, you risk getting telefragged if you stay there).

I'm interested in how you will detail it. Which parts are going to become outdoor areas?

Opinions from the best Deathmatcher ever:

Sector 39 - Raise it. I don't want to hit my head on a doorway when I'm running through it.

Plasma strafe run - It's fine. Keep it. Make a player learn how to play. It's not that difficult.

Doors - Make them all uniform imo. Personally I'm not a huge fan of doors in deathmatch but to each their own. Definitely make them all fast doors regardless of if you make them open on their own or manually.

That's all I have for now! Looking forward to seeing the finished project though. Maybe we can hop on Odamex and play it sometime! If you're interested in being crushed by the best deathmatcher of all time, get back to me!

alright ill fix all of that stuff. thanks for compliments. anyways, ive been very inspired by sine die map 01 if anyones played that, so expect a rustyish quakeish metal base.

ok i already fixed the door stuff. they all open fast and manually.
the plasma strafe run is still there. sector 39 was raised.

i didnt think the steps were all that tall, they are 16 units high. i also tried to have the steps more than 32 units apart so it doesnt look to tall or anything. well, im going to start detailing the map now.

Nice map Butts! Looks very promising!

I'd add a connector from coordinate x=1088 y=1600 to x=1472 y=1536

other than that, belissimo.

heh, thanks. anyways, what do you mean connector at those coordinates? im using doom builder and those coordinates are off of the map in the void space in the upper right hand corner of the layout, pretty far off too.

also, i might put some screenshots tomorrow or a couple of days depending how much i work on it. i also added some deathmatch starts, weapons, tweaked the layout a little, etc. while detailing. it should be a little smoother now.

Butts said:

heh, thanks. anyways, what do you mean connector at those coordinates? im using doom builder and those coordinates are off of the map in the void space in the upper right hand corner of the layout, pretty far off too.

also, i might put some screenshots tomorrow or a couple of days depending how much i work on it. i also added some deathmatch starts, weapons, tweaked the layout a little, etc. while detailing. it should be a little smoother now.

At the bottom of the map you have some stairs at a 45 degree angle and a pair of ledges near the door that connects one part of the level to another (where a medkit and green armor are). I was thinking of a connector on the wall between the right ledge (the one with the medkit) and the 45 degree angle stairs. The connector would go east, northeast to where there is a box of shells. Dunno if sector numbers are the same, but it would be a connector between sector 36 and 48.