Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

1280x1024 / 72dpi

1024x768 as always, and as it forever shall be. I don't see much of a point to a higher resolution unless I want to go blind before I'm 50.

My new year's resolution is on the topic.

Danarchy said:
I don't see much of a point to a higher resolution unless I want to go blind before I'm 50.

Bigger is particularly better for watching or editing images, plus it generally makes websites or forums easier to view, and fonts appear too small only if your monitor is relatively small.

The funny thing is that I have to thank ZDoom engines for being able to use this resolution. Upon installing the video drivers it allows up to 1024x768 as the biggest choice, but after going into ZDoom or such and setting the resolution to anything higher, 1280x1024 is added to the Display Properties.

YMB said:

New year's RESOLUTIONS

Right.

And at this point no one has actually posted such things, but rather their desktop resolutions. AirRaid look what you did!

Mancubus II said:

Right.

And at this point no one has actually posted such things, but rather their desktop resolutions. AirRaid look what you did!

Makes way for the legitimate thread at least.

Mancubus II said:

Right.

Haha I know, I actually didn't expect this to turn out this way. But then I did leave it wide open really. Oh well. I post like 2 threads a year anyway so who cares.

I delcare this thread is now about Frogs!

Danarchy said:

1024x768 as always, and as it forever shall be. I don't see much of a point to a higher resolution unless I want to go blind before I'm 50.

OK, try running 1024x768 on a 24" monitor. It looks so horrible, you'd wish you were blind.

Well I'm on a 19" monitor. I thought that was about as big as they come. 24"? Seriously? That's bigger than my monitor with the frame included.

Agreed, 1280x1024. At least for home computer. Work computer is 1024x768, since all the programs and fonts they use were designed for that resolution. Anything else looks extremely odd and gives me a headache.

Danarchy said:

Well I'm on a 19" monitor. I thought that was about as big as they come. 24"? Seriously? That's bigger than my monitor with the frame included.

Wow, dude. My monitor is 19" square and 1024 looks giganto-huge on it to me. I always used to run 1280 on my 19" CRT too, which actually has less visible space.

I mean, to each his own, sure, but you're preactically wasting the potential of that 19" monitor.

AirRaid said:

I mean, to each his own, sure, but you're preactically wasting the potential of that 19" monitor.

For CRT monitors, there is -still- the issue of refresh rates, and very few CRTs can actually handle >100 Hz beyond 1024*768. A typical max is 85 Hz @ 1280*1024 but beyond that things get really dizzy. Needless to say, if you have a GRAPHICS ADAPTER that cannot go beyond 100 Hz in any mode...that's another story :-)

And yeah, I know there are TFTs but the color performance and viewing angles are generally way inferior to even a cheapo CRT (not that is much choice left but still...) while the fixed resolution is a bane to games unless you have the horsepower to play anything at the monitor's native resolution, or that particular monitor has a really good scaling function (some are better than others, no doubt).

Bloodshedder said:

Well, I mean, I figured they came in that size, but how many people actually use those?

It is a CRT. I suppose I could turn up font size on everything so I don't have to squint, but it seems rather silly (plus there are several things that don't scale).

AirRaid said:

No, I have a 19" and 1024x768 is the max, occasionally downsized for extended video viewing.

I could probably manage 1280x1024 on a 21"; 24" would be great for that.

In fact I've been looking at some of the new widescreen flatscreens, those are particularly useful for a majority of music editing software, but there's not a decent one for under $1500 (more than a complete top-of-the-line PC) so I'll never be able to get one.

Man, CRTs really do suck if at 19" they aren't good for 1280x1024. This forum's text looks fine 5 feet away in this 17" LCD, at that resolution. CRTs feel like they burn into your eyes when set relatively bright, in any case, which may factor in.

I'm one to defend older technology (floppies, old OSs, smaller HDDs, &c), but if a CRT monitor suddenly falls and breaks, I don't think I'll be crying much.

myk said:

I'm one to defend older technology (floppies, old OSs, smaller HDDs, &c), but if a CRT monitor suddenly falls and breaks, I don't think I'll be crying much.

Unless, of course, the tubes explode, sending shards flying at you.

Only reason I use a CRT is because I'm really poor and can't shell out $200 for a monitor.

I forgot to mention I have 1400x1050 on my laptop. Which is an odd res, but for a 15" tft screen thats a fucking incredible resolution. Still one of the best I've seen on a laptop.