Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jim Rainer

3d model replacements

I'm not sure if this is the right forum section for this, but....
Does anyone know where I can get a wad or something with 3d model replacements for the doom monster sprites?

There are a few, but they mostly suck, unless there was a new, better one released under my nose.

My brother got a mag with Jdoom, hi-res textures and 3D models all included on the Cover CD (with permission!), and you know what? it looked horrible! really unnatural and jerky, somehow even more so than flat 2D pictures with 4 frames of animation

If you're really keen on 3D models for DooM, try doomsday (jdoom). I agree with deathbringer though, even if the models themselves look pretty good, they just don't look right when they're moving and such. But most of all IMO they lack the character of the original DooM monsters.

The 3D models made for (J)Doom, are great, but trying to catch the basic perfection of the sprites is kinda pointless unless you're an extremly talented fulltime pro.

_bruce_ said:

The 3D models made for (J)Doom, are great, but trying to catch the basic perfection of the sprites is kinda pointless unless you're an extremly talented fulltime pro.

I disagree. There have been some absolutely immaculate models made for other games by amateurs that rival those made by full time professionals. Unfortunately, I have seen nothing of that quality in models representing the Doom sprites. Even the Duke 3D hi-res pack does a significantly better job of models that represent the original game sprites.

It can't be easy to make a model animation that matches the sprites and fit's into the ammount of tic's said sprite animation takes to happen, without looking odd.

In short a more dramatic model animation would probably require tampering with the original bad guy's behaviour (making them take longer to attack etc).

I think that is the biggest problem with replacing the enemies in Doom with models. But the fact remains that a lot of the models that have been made do lag behind those made for other games in simple visual quality. Not all of them. Some are very good, but quite a lot are not.

Perhaps it's because I'm not so close to/ attached to the game, but I thought the Duke3D pack outstripped any Doom pack that I have seen.

Enjay said:

I think that is the biggest problem with replacing the enemies in Doom with models. But the fact remains that a lot of the models that have been made do lag behind those made for other games in simple visual quality. Not all of them. Some are very good, but quite a lot are not.

Perhaps it's because I'm not so close to/ attached to the game, but I thought the Duke3D pack outstripped any Doom pack that I have seen.

rofl @ the 3D models for the strippers

But anyway, I too don't like 3D models in Doom. They always look massively out of place to me. I would rather have a "hires sprite pack" but I doubt that would ever happen :p

Agreed, I've never much cared for the 3D models made for Doom. They've always felt out of place. The amount of detail and character in the original sprites still outshine any models created to this day, Doom 3 models including.

I would like to thank Enjay for pointing me to that duke3d hires pack though. Those models are really well done. I especially like the shotgun model. It's given me a new reason to play through D3D again.

The thing I don't like with models for doom is that they are not scaled reguarding the sprites and doom look dumb and not fast-paced
in my opinion.