Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

Revenant WIP

Here's a preview of the DOOM 2 Revenant mini action figure I started sculpting Monday night. I do think that the DOOM 3 monster design is superior, but, encasing the arms and lower body in some kind of transparent medium, while still maintaining moving joints, is beyond my current capabilites, so, I'm going with the classic version.

My humanoid mini action figures have been clocking in at around 14-19 joints, but, with the additional opportunities the largely skeletal anatomy and the two rocket launchers on this figure present, I'm planning on about 30 joints. Note that the vertebrae is just one, solid piece at the moment, but each vertebra will be individually articulated once I get around to hacking the spinal column apart into separate pieces (which should provide a similarly large range of motion to what my relatively recent Silent Hill Samael figure enjoys, a character with a comparable abdomen design). Nine joints are currently functional.

I also haven't made up my mind yet as to what approach I'm going to take for the abdomen, regarding gore. On one hand, I'm inclined to go with a more minimalistic approach and just paint the upper-femurs/vertebrae/pelvis bloody red, but, on the other, it'd be cool to stick all kinds of gristle/hanging flesh/etc in that area. I have to keep the articulation in mind though; I don't want a lot of junk in there interfering with the range of motion, as that would defeat the purpose of making the vertebrae so flexible.

Dang mMm, you are going great with most of the sculpturized figures of many games, specially from Doom, hopefully this Revvy turns out great.

The only suggestion I would have for the progress would to try to keep the proportions right, keeping in mind that joints are tricky. Your other figures are fantastic, while perfect in each of their segments, the overall presentation of the entire figure sometimes lacks a bit. You could possibly cover it up a bit by having a bulky armor/torso.

Here's the progress I made yesterday (I didn't work on it at all Wednesday). It's pretty close to done--one or two more sculpting sessions and I should be ready to start painting/final assembly (I’ll probably finish it up over the weekend; Friday is usually a busy day for me). The main components I still need to create are the shoulder pads, rocket launchers, neck, and head--there's also some existing areas I'm not happy with that need a bit of tinkering (the hands are too large for example). Twenty-three working joints now, but I’m probably going to remove one of the vertebra permanently, as I feel the spinal column is too long right now, so let’s say twenty-two instead.

Bank: Yeah, I often have problems with proportions. I’ve got a mathematical formula I’ve been using for the legs and arms of these mini figures, but it could probably use some revising—having some anatomy photos/drawings out while I’m working wouldn’t hurt either (I’ve been using a Marvel Toys Legendary Comic Book Heroes Savage Dragon action figure for that purpose lately, but he’s got over-the-top physiology, particularly in his upper body, so he probably isn’t the best thing to be using as a reference).

Being skeletal, this figure also presents its’ own problems, as the anatomy is naturally more fragile (the last human skeleton I made couldn’t support its’ own weight and the legs snapped off at the ankles/feet when I left it standing overnight). I doubt that will happen this time because (1) this figure is significantly smaller and lighter and (2) the wire for the joints will provide additional internal support.

Well, it's looking very good right now, the body shape I'd say is close to perfect, it just feels right. Keep it up : )

All done. I'm still not happy with the hands, but I got tired of screwing around with them. The pelvis tried to self-destruct on me while I was painting it too, which wasn't too amusing.

Mid-construction photos (the top two images can be seen in my previous posts, but all the rest are new).

If you're wondering why Omega Rugal has a larger width than the other humanoid figures, despite appearing to be roughly the same size, it's because of the red wire sticking out of the side of his mechanical right hand. Also: (1) Couch Mouse's tail is excluded from its' measurements and (2) any and all accessories, like Rolento's red beret/baton/grenades, don't affect their dimensions (Billy Kane's three-sectioned staff does count towards his articulation total, but not his height/width).

For comparison purposes, below are several images of a Revenant, taken from the Final DOOM PC video game (please note that there are some additional lighting effects applied to the rockets, via running the game through Jaakko Keränen's Doomsday/JDoom engine and that the final picture depicts a fan-made polygon model, not the normal "flat" sprite seen in the other three images).

Webpage with more info (dimensions, materials used, background story, trivia, etc):

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/revenant.html

And, on a completely unrelated note, here's a review of the Chia Cat Grass Planter:

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/chia_catgrass_review.html

I'm a big fan of everything but the head. The wider eyes, big teeth, and mostly open-mouth expression kind if gives me that cartoony friendly skeleton impression. Beyond that, this is still probably my favourite Doom sculpture of yours as I can recall.

Also, huge props on tackling a skeleton model. With the sculpting expirience I have, I know something like this would be a major bitch (especially at a larger size). It was hard enough for me to do a 10" Doom 3 Imp sculpture, given how lanky it is; the end result is too rough looking for me to dare to ever upload.

very nice. love the poses, especially the forlorn crawling one LOL. the armor is great and the hands aren't as bad as you think they are. I do agree with coopersville about the head. I think the eye sockets are too large and round. other than that a fantastic sculpt.

This is very impressive; you have done some fantastic work! The hands look fine, and while I can see where Coopersville is coming from, I think the head looks all right too.

Bank said:

I would go as far as to say this is your best one yet.

Seconded. In fact, I would probably buy one.

Make that third, at least in terms of your minis, fantastic!

I don't find the hands too large; honestly it compliments the revenant quite nicely. The coloring, armor, and shape is flawless. The eyes are a little bit wide but it looks like it gives the figure more uniqueness to it.

And the poses are the best I've seen you use with a figure. I loled at the surfing on the lost soul.

Awesome work, looks perfect to me. I think this is now my favorite figure of your work.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I agree that the skull is a little on the cartoony side of life. I actually did make the eye sockets smaller than what they were in my initial sculpt by filling them in a bit with some "Kleenex putty" (if you mix white glue with small pieces of Kleenex you get a clay-like substance--I use this for very small items and minor corrections).

Outstanding work! And from what I can see, the hands fit your Revenant model well, actually. And yes, I think I would seriously consider buying one of those.

(Dragon Warrior/Quest II) Metal Babble mini figure I made last night. This little guy is very difficult to photograph--I took dozens of shots, using every variance in lighting, exposure, etc. I could think of, but the results are still kind of iffy. I think it's a combination of his small size, the silver color, and the fact that I stuck several coats of transparent gloss on top of the already shiny paint.

Note that the bottom-most image on the left has the plastic supports, that connect the bubbles to the slime, edited out of the photo.

For comparison purposes, below are several images of Babbles from various sources. The first picture depicts the Metal Babble game sprite from the NES version of Dragon Warrior/Quest 2. The second image depicts the marginally-better SNES game sprite from Dragon Warrior/Quest 5. The third image is the original Akira Toriyama hand-drawn art (note that this is a regular Babble, not the Metal variety). And the final picture is a photo of a Metal Babble plush toy (manufacturer unknown).

Webpage with more info (dimensions, materials used, background story, trivia, etc):

http://kramwartap.fortunecity.com/metal_babble.html

Damn I've been away for a while and you have to make alot of cool stuff. That Revenant roxors some bloody red boxers.:D

It would be cool if it had light up action using L.E.D's but I'll give you props for finishing it.