Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

Doom: Destroyers of Time (GZDoom)

I'm making a very classic WAD. Classic in terms of gameplay and resources (Using Q1TEX.WAD only). The only way it differs from other vanilla WADS, is the fact it will use a lot of 3D floors, and dynamic lightning.

I hope it won't prove to be to heavy on some computers. My laptop runs it smooth on very high resolutions.

Some early screenshots:

Can't really see much due to darkness, however you may want to ease the copy pasting in shot 2.

Turn your monitor brightness up.

Also ellmo why not consider mapping this for Quake?

printz said:

Also ellmo why not consider mapping this for Quake?

'cuz it would be to easy :)
It's me against the Doom-based engine limits.

printz said:

Turn your monitor brightness up.

It's probably because of the brightness difference between CRT and LCD monitor. I use the latter ones only and I can see everything on the screenshots.

If you ever get to play this map, you'll set the lightning as you see fit (just not to bright, it spoils all the fun).

ellmo said:

'cuz it would be to easy :)

Still, it's kinda unpleasant (no offence :) ) to meet poor imps and weak demons instead of fierce ogres and grisly fiends.

zap610 said:

No.

Or get a flashlight stuck to a gun.

printz said:

Still, it's kinda unpleasant (no offence :) ) to meet poor imps and weak demons instead of fierce ogres and grisly fiends.

Yeah, I'm thinking about it.
When I'm done with the map, I might try to add two-three new types of monsters, that will behave more like the ones in Quake (I just don't find any monster in Doom, aside from Archvile, dangerous). Something that will make you check every corner :)

But I still don't have any idea what that could be. None of the monsters in ZDoom monster resource pleases me.

There may also be some new weapons and powerups, to make things more entertaining. I was thinking about a pistol upgrade, allowing you to shoot in bursts and/or magnum ammo. Some automatic weapon, that wouldn't be as powerful as the chaingun, maybe a decent grenade launcher. Who knows?

Funny thing is, I find most of the Quake monsters dull, easy to fight and predictable, not to mention too blocky and low poly to be good looking. The ogres have to be one of the easiest "semi-tough" monsters to deal with ever.

Small Update:

Now I know I will try to alter most of the Doom enemies to make them more deadly:

1) I'll try to make the former humans strafe around you, shoot more accurately and deal more damage. This is easily done, but for now they move much too rapidly.

2) Imps have a 50% chance of loosing their heads as Trites (which are rather avoiding the fight, but can bite and are frustrating)

3) Lost souls may be accompanied by the Poison Souls, which have a bit more HP, and they spread posion clouds.

4) Demons will bite faster. It's silly how you can continue to avoid their teeth, by coming close and backing off, when you see their jaws opening. No more nonsense!

...yeah, I know it was supposed to be classic in gameplay. Well it would be too easy. I want to get you guys surprised.

good i glad you are making things harder. i like a new challenge. nice shots by the way, looks clean and grim.

the brownness is closing in! i dont really like the quake textures much at all, but these shots are looking nice and quake-y regardless.

i gotta agree with Janitor. I like how its got a quake look to it, buts it looks TOO much like quake. You might as well just turn the chaingun into a nailgun.

ellmo said:

Which are pretty much the same limits as Quake's, once you add slopes, dynamic lighting, and true 3D to that Doom base.

myk said:

Which are pretty much the same limits as Quake's, once you add slopes, dynamic lighting, and true 3D to that Doom base.

That's true. Speaking of the gameplay, QuakeC is nothing, compared do still evolving Doom scripting languages like ACS; so one might say modern Doom source ports offer more than Quake 1 and 2.

Then again building complicated structures is much easier with 3D polyhedrons. And don't forget they can be moved around and rotated (not in pure Quake1 however). No source port gives the ability to create 3D floors that can be moved around (theoretically known as polymosts IIRC).

So there are still some limitations.
Quake is fully 3D, so creating fully 3D environments is possible without referring to special functions and options.

*BUMP*

Some headless Imps after a bit of a shooting...

and yet another hallway:

Its good to see that someone is going to use my monsters.
By the way - Poison soul gas need +BLOODLESSIMPACT flag added. And it would be good to make it not hurt any other demons by using custom damage types, because now it can depopulate whole room full of demons just by being there.

And you can make the Imp heads and demons more agressive by using some jumps using ThrustThing and ThrustThingZ or SkullAttack.

myk said:

And best of all, Doom has an automap, which the id guys couldn't put in anything since Quake 1.

The exam session is killing me, but I found a few minutes of spare time.
1) The map is close to being complete if it comes to layout, architecture and scripting.
2) Most of the pickup and decoration items are in place.
3) Monsters need placing.
4) Needs more DECORATE entries and new sprites and sounds.
5) Needs to be playtested whe it's finished.