Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MONKET

Difference between WhackEd2 and DeHacked?

After having a vacation of cruising around this intelligent forum, I happen to notice that more people use Dehacked rather than WhackEd. I, myself, use WhackEd and feel that I'm missing out on something since so many people use Dehacked. I can't get Dehacked to work since I can't find the original Doom2.exe, so may someone find out the difference of Dehacked and WhackEd so I can either keep Whacked or get off my fat ass and make Dehacked work? I'm looking for things such as more flags for things and more state actions in Dehacked.

I'm pretty sure Whacked is more powerful anyway, and Dehacked is pretty much useless in the world of source ports today.

MONKET said:
I can't get Dehacked to work since I can't find the original Doom2.exe,

It's in the shareware package.

WhackEd2 may be more convenient if you are making an add-on for use with "advanced" engines, as it supports BEX. If you're making an add-on that's compatible with the original engine or an extended equivalent, DeHackEd is the way to go, as it has some stuff that is missing in WhackEd2, and also works directly with its source (the binary), ensuring compatibility.

PS: Whoever thought of YMB's title is no fool.

WhackEd also means no farting around with paths in .ini files or having to have the original .exe's sitting somewhere

Yes, oh the countless hours playing with the .ini.
But, WhackEd can't patch an .exe, though, or copy things automatically.

Ah, so both have their ups and downs

Well I'm fine with WhackEd, since it has all the features I need anyway and is more "up to date". Thanks for your help.