Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
esselfortium

Some vanilla hacking questions

I'm assuming the answers to all of these questions will be "no", but I figured it'd be worth a shot...

All of these questions are regarding doom2.exe 1.9 (and/or Chocolate Doom), using DeHackEd. I know all these things can be easily done in source ports, but that's not what I need for this.

1) Is there any way that a DeHackEd patch, either by changing strings or something else, could be used to change the maps that each sky is used in? (i.e. change sky1 to maps 1-5, sky2 to maps 6-10, sky3 to maps 11-32)

2) Is there a way to make non-damaging projectiles that push the player? I've experimented around a bit but nothing has worked. It seems that damage and pushing are tied to each other. If this could be done somehow, it would allow for all sorts of voodoo doll effects similar to what Boom can do with conveyor belts, without needing to damage the player with barrel explosions.

3) Is there a way to change the maps that the secret exits go to?

I'll probably think of some more things to ask, but that's it for now. If any of these things are actually doable somehow, I'll be very surprised (and very pleased). :p

Can the Dehacked text editor be used to find and replace any block of code or data in the executable?

You'll probably have to know yourself where to find in the exe the numbers of the levels leading to their secret ones, the coordinates of the levels in the WIMAPs (Doom 1), the idmus music num-for-names, what music numbers do the levels in Episode 4 and the cast call in Doom 2 use, and all that.

While ports are much easier to mod this way (implemented for the user), you can instead research (or have some others research) the executable and come with new Dehacked methods, which will be good for DosBox vanilla Doomers.

^^^Only if the text editor can be used for any address.

printz said:
Only if the text editor can be used for any address.

There's just a set of strings that have been singled out by the program; most of the text strings, but not all of them. Besides, some info is in a more obscure form (not simple text).

Yeah, it cannot be done via Dehacked's text editor, because strings are different to arbitrary blocks of data, because they need to end in a null sign, whereas integral types don't need so if they're large enough.

i have some vanilla questions as well... how do you create animated textures and have more animations to flats and make new animated flats? espi did this in suspended in dusk...

also, i have the doom2.exe and i cant run it on vista because when i try to, it says fullscreen not supported or some bullshit like that and closes the program before it starts. can anyone help me with that so i can play vanilla doom on vista?

also, can you alter weapon behavior and monster behavior?

Butts said:

i have some vanilla questions as well... how do you create animated textures and have more animations to flats and make new animated flats? espi did this in suspended in dusk...

For textures, place the new frames in between the first and last frames, in TEXTURE1. I don't think SLumpEd allows you to change the order of TEXTURE1 entries, but XWE should be able to do it. You can name them whatever you want, as long as they're placed between the first and last frame (i.e. SFALL1, SFALLA, SFALLB, SFALLC, ESSELSUX, SFALLD, SFALL^_^, SFALL4). The same can be done with flats, just put them in order between the starting and ending frame and they should work.

[/b]also, i have the doom2.exe and i cant run it on vista because when i try to, it says fullscreen not supported or some bullshit like that and closes the program before it starts. can anyone help me with that so i can play vanilla doom on vista?[/b]

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/
Chocolate Doom aims to emulate Doom2.exe exactly, while supporting lots of operating systems and having built-in functionality for dehacked, wad merging, novert, and other nice things.

also, can you alter weapon behavior and monster behavior?

DeHackEd patches are what you want to use for altering this stuff in vanilla maps. The original DeHackEd was for DOS, but for Windows there's a compatible program called WhackEd: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/?page=whacked2
DeHackEd isn't nearly as flexible as ZDoom's DECORATE or Eternity's EDF, as you're limited to the number of codepointers and frames and whatnot that are used in the original game, but if you're clever enough you can pull off some neat stuff with it.

ahh. cool thank you. i have recently been very intrigued by vanilla doom and wads made for it. that helps a lot.

Butts said:
i have the doom2.exe and i cant run it on vista because when i try to, it says fullscreen not supported or some bullshit like that and closes the program before it starts. can anyone help me with that so i can play vanilla doom on vista?

In addition to Chocolate Doom (as mentioned by esselfortium), DOSBox seems to work on Vista, so it's an option as well.

cool, thanks. also, how do i use the command line? i never figured it out sorry if it sounds really dumb but im giving myself a headache trying to find it.

You can either open the Run dialog from the Start menu (or Windows key + R) and type "cmd.exe" to bring up the dos prompt, or just type your command directly into the Run dialog.

You could also make a .bat file, which is basically a text file containing the commands you want to execute (i.e. "chocodoom.exe -merge map.wad textures.wad")

esselfortium said:

You could also make a .bat file, which is basically a text file containing the commands you want to execute (i.e. "chocodoom.exe -merge map.wad textures.wad")

You could also make a shortcut to chocodoom.exe and edit the shortcut to include the command-line parameters.

I would love to see a doom2 feature map ala "deepexam" and other maps but with all doom tricks to date. (would that even be possible?)

If you add up the trick wads by Iikka Keränen, Nick Baker, Lee Szymanski, and Owen Lloyd you have more or less all the tricks you can think of.

this makes me think -- how many vanilla doom tricks are there left to find out?

myk said:

If you add up the trick wads by Iikka Keränen, Nick Baker, Lee Szymanski, and Owen Lloyd you have more or less all the tricks you can think of.

Where can I find these? I've got Nick Baker's Boom tricks wad, if that's what you're talking about.

esselfortium said:
Where can I find these? I've got Nick Baker's Boom tricks wad, if that's what you're talking about.

Yeah, Nick's Boom tricks wad has some stuff that works for the plain engine. There's a bunch of tricks wads in the prefabs directory at idgames, plus sarge baldy's trick wad.