Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Doom's 15th Birthday

Doom will be 15 years old this year and it's, not surprisingly, still going strong. As I think 15 is quite a valuable number in terms of age, particularly for a computer game, I believe we should do something special for Doom's 15th. But, what will it be? Some ideas come to mind:

- A large but fairly simple community project, either of one giant map or a collection, (Community Chest 4?) that can be finished up in time for Doom's birthday. New concepts to WADs would also be welcome.
- A special speed/mapping competition of sorts, with the contributions melded into a final piece.
- A simple single map, like Espi's Doom Cake.
- A release or two of some highly-anticipated mega projects (while I understand that this may not be possible for most modders to implant deadlines on their work as soon as this, particularly with fairly high-scale projects like TSoZD - which I'm not expecting to be released TOO soon :P).

To start on any of the above would be better done sooner rather than later, since it's already 2008, and Doom is 15 in early December. What do you guys think should be done to honor our favorite game on its glorious 15th birthday?

-A DOOM Bible representation (many tried to do this, including myself, but never success, perhaps if merging the combining what's already done, plus some extra work, this could be done, of course nobody would think it's a 100% accurate representation, as it depends on imagination, but one could get close enough).
-Classic DOOM 3. My all times DOOM dream, using new doomish textures, plus some new weapons, and monsters that look close to the originals (like cybruiser made by Eriance), new maps with a style close to the classics, and there you go.
-A megawad that represents all the chapters of the DOOM series.

Vegeta said:

A DOOM Bible representation

The concept, on reading the bible after (re)playing original Doom, sounded 100% neat and exciting.

What Tom Hall reportedly made (realistic looking hangars and barracks), wasn't good enough for id to keep him in any more. But with proper imagination a Doom Bible project could turn up just fine, at last rivalling with KDiZD :D. The port which powers it needs to support arbitrary numbering of episodes, a (hi)scoring system and decent cutscene & NPC support. ZDoom would be good.

On another note, regarding the topic too, I should do as much mapping as possible, so I can reach the power level to be able to control my idea for a 60-level Doom2 Eternity project. I'll be starting it alone, you know.

I think we should do something different, than wad-projects and stuff. We could arrange big meetings in every countries, i.e. all the Finnish Doomers gather together in Finland, every UK doomers in UK, you know. :) Then we could have a big lan party where we play nothing but Doom, or we could do a big project together (I think that would be more interesting than doing levels on our own and communicate with the net) or we just could get heavy drunk and salute Doom together... Come on, it's 15th birthday of our dear child! :D

Jimmy91 said:

A release or two of some highly-anticipated mega projects

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about it, but there is no telling when SpaceDM5 is to be finished. Hopefully this year though.

I like the idea of the meeting. Last year I met a doomer from a neighbor city, and he turned into my best friend.
In any case, we could do this, and a nice wad/s.

printz said:
What Tom Hall reportedly made (realistic looking hangars and barracks), wasn't good enough for id to keep him in any more.

It was the core game concept itself (as described in the Bible) rather than the mapping style that encouraged the others to tell Tom Hall to walk out of id. He had already moved away from more realistic designs before he left (as is evident from the changes he made to the level that ended up as E2M7, and the not so realistic layout of the one used for E1M4). Romero and Carmack wanted the game to be simple and straightforward action without redundant stuff, while Tom Hall wanted it to be a tour through various relatively unique locations, with many easter eggs and curious items to encounter or pick up along the way, and different character types for MultiPlayer. Tom Hall then poured some of that concept into ROTT, which you can't say is really "realistic".

15 years of doom, top 150 wads of all time.

i think speedmapping competitions would be cool. and the whole megawads thing.

maybe a classic style megawad, an "alien vendetta 2" or something of the sort.

and instead of the regular episode remakes, remake doom2 the way it would be in g/zdoom or whatever.

or a new deathmatch megawad, like gothic 3 (except it would be fun to play)....

just bringing classic ideas

and i like that doom bible idea.
maybe make a set of maps trying to be as realistic as possible.

As a matter of fact, I had that Doom Bible community WAD idea awhile back.

This is something I've had in my head for a while (and by "a while", I mean a really REALLY long while). We've already got projects with massive storylines and brilliant cutscenes like Zen Dynamics, but what if we were to take the whole FPS element out of Doom entirely to create a MOVIE? Don't get me wrong, it's not the same, I know. Doom is practically nothing without the classic shoot-em-up style brawls you usually have in Doom mods, but this has been floating in the bowels of my subconscious for a while - a movie with REAL voice actors and REAL dialogue, coupled with scripted actions and fight scenes in ZDoom? :eek:

The replies I got elsewhere were less than promising, mainly because of what I have said above - Doom is primarily meant to be played and not watched. Yet I think that with the latest SVN build of ZDoom (which has custom states, damages and all manner of different stuffs) we could pull it off. *ahem*...by "we" I mean my currently non-existent mapping team. I've been thinking about creating a community project like this for some time.

The project would go something along the lines of this: scenes are divided into maps - each contributor makes a different scene (they will obviously have to be skilled in ACS first) and they are then pooled together to create the final product. Obviously the project leader will be in charge of resources such as music, sounds and textures, and some miscellaneous contributors could provide voice acting.

This is yet another of those stereotypical "over-ambitious" projects, but I really need some more people's opinion on it. The main idea I have at the moment is that scenes shall be taken from the Doom Bible and each Episode will be done as a separate project/wad.

So what do you think? :)

Jimmy91 said:

As a matter of fact, I had that Doom Bible community WAD idea awhile back.

I actually like this idea. Let me know if this gets off the ground; I might be able to help out with a voice or script.

i dont really understand what you mean by The Doom Bible representation. Is that like a Knee deep in Zdoom thing, except it would be based around the alpha versions of doom, and what was 'originally' planned before its release?

EDIT: ugh i gotta read all the posts. nvm.

Personally, what I would like to see/pair up with someone to do...

1. A community mod or series of mods. They would be only a few levels long, but would show...well, us. We would try to put our personality into the mods, to truely make them memorable, like having the hairest, roughest battle moment ever included into Doom.

2. A Doom bible. Not just because it has been suggested, but would possibly even encompass the more memorable, custom-made creatures.

Really, that is just about all that we can do at our positions :(

Heh it could be a joke wad where every mapper tries to simulate the strongest stereotype in their mapping.

Like how Tormentor is really good at jamming a trillion sectors in a map and be annoying to play and look very artsy with quake textures

And maybe an AgentSpork map thats annoying to play but the design is "simple"

I dunno much other stereotypes.

Av2, Hr3 and an TSOHIZ would probably be most fitting for this year. The Doom bible is something I'd definitly love to see put into effort, but if I heard of AV2 coming around I'd have an orgasm.

Bloodskull said:

Av2, Hr3 and an TSOHIZ would probably be most fitting for this year. The Doom bible is something I'd definitly love to see put into effort, but if I heard of AV2 coming around I'd have an orgasm.

What about pl2? :P

SirTimberWolf said:
I'm definitely interested in a Doom Bible project. And I think it'd be kindda fitting.

If anyone wants to make a serious go at it, I have a fully working gameplay mod sitting around my hard drive called "doom+.wad" that has a few monsters and weapons mentioned in the doom bible (it's an evaluation of DoomWBO.wad if anyones heard of that)

Captain Red said:

If anyone wants to make a serious go at it, I have a fully working gameplay mod sitting around my hard drive called "doom+.wad" that has a few monsters and weapons mentioned in the doom bible (it's an evaluation of DoomWBO.wad if anyones heard of that)

I may pitch in if time allows. I mean, 10th time's the charm, right?

I was going to suggest Hell Revealed III as well, or maybe even Requiem II, or a "Wolfenstein Enhanced" mod (a KDiZD-esque mod that represents the first episode of Wolfenstein). :D As far as I know, TSoZD will likely not see the light this year, but I'm willing to get that Doom Bible project rolling. :D

Okay, lot of support for the Doom bible project. Good to see :)

Here's what I bring to the table in terms of skills.

Mapping (several years experience.)

Modeling (A couple years experience. I could easily do weapons and some items. I'm not skilled enough for character modeling in any serious capacity :( )

Writing (I'd love to colaborate with someone on a script for this. I've written a novel already (Not doom related) and I'm looking into publishing for it. I have plenty of experience there :P)

Military Resources (formations and whatnot. Spent 3 years in the Army.)

Anyway. . . If someone ELSE is willing to take the reigns of this, email me at SirTimberWolf at G mail dot com or post on the forums here. I'm totally down with this.

Save wolfenstein enhanced for wolfys birthday. (May 5th 1992)