Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

jwadlib 1.0 Alpha 1 Released

Okay, so my last thread wasn't news-worthy but I still want to have a thread for discussion. Basically, jwadlib is a WAD library for Java. It provides a framework for working with WADs that can be used on it's own or extended for specific games that utilize WAD files. Right now, there is only basic WAD support, but I plan on releasing a standard Doom support extension once the main WAD support is stable.

The website is located here: http://jwadlib.sourceforge.net/

You might have noticed that nothing is newsworthy here - except for the things that really don't matter! :D

Bump of an old news thread which seems to be the only way to get the important news across. It's utterly pointless if people aren't allowed to post their own news and have to wait for someone else to do it. It has to be approved anyway so where's the harm?

Just another symptom of the same problem. The entire news submission system is just laughable.

You should just have made a new thread for that new version. It's not like the previous version was in the news last week. But maybe I'm totally missing the point, your complaint is a bit vague.

On topic: Nice wacky! Now maybe some java gurus will code some tools for Doom editing (a decent wad manager perhaps?)

Yeah I think that as Doom slowly expands to Linux and sometimes Mac with sourceports branching away from Windows, Java doom utilities are going to find a niche. But who knows, this is fun to do regardless :P Anyway I plan to add and fix a whole lot of things and like I said, this has very barebones support of the WAD file, but I'm keeping it that way for modularity. There will be Doom specific support in a separate extension package, but I'll probably release a "Starter Package" with both on Sourceforge once I'm at that point.

Yeah, it means that no real news get submitted because the people who would do it can't. So the system is a joke and you might as well shut it down. The result would be the same: No newsworthy news.

And what's the conflict of interest? It's the moderating staff that decides what gets into the news, not the submitter.

Read the link Bloodshedder posted, it explains what it is. Moderators are not allowed to submit or approve news about their own projects, because they could abuse their position and submit a very subjective news post. What wacky did right here is better, just post about it in the forums and someone else can look at the information and objectively write a news post.

I wonder how many regulars actually visit here via the front page these days anyway? I used to but I don't bother anymore - primarily because nothing ever happens on it. I just come straight to the forum. So, if someone makes a post in "Doom General" or any other thread, I'll spot the new posts symbol and go there, and so would probably see it before I would something in the news thread anyway.

Graf Zahl said:

It's utterly pointless if people aren't allowed to post their own news and have to wait for someone else to do it.

Some lawyer somewhere called it something, so everybody went "durrrrr" and accepted it as official policy. I also think it's the most retarded thing ever, but I don't approve news so I can't do much. Apparently somebody "could" write with a bias, which is amusing as there's no such thing as absolute impartiality especially in a community this size, but rationality has rarely been a part of law, so whatever, just cut+paste your update to your closest buddy and have them post it. Reminds me of the time I had jury duty and somebody on the witness stand was trying to recite a letter they got, but they were supposed to do it from memory and not the actual letter, so the lawyer would show the letter to the person then take it away, and the person would try to recite it but get lost after 1 or 2 lines, so the lawyer would show the person the letter again then take it away again and they'd get another 1 or 2 lines before forgetting again, so they'd get shown the letter again until they recited it sentence per sentence, being able to see the letter after each sentence but never being able to read the actual slip of paper. It's just sub-human. Yet people actually take advice from these guys.

And then Fraggle posted the chocolate doom news update anyway :O

Another thing, though. As far as GZDoom is concerned, funduke has handled that, adding posts to one news item. I'm not sure if some attempted news entries were moved under the thread, but in truth, they are not exactly model news items if some were meant as news.

Regardless, saying that only "things that really don't matter" get newsed here is quite insulting to what does get on the news (I see some pretty cool stuff there myself). Why promote the work of someone who shits on others' work?

Enjay said:

I wonder how many regulars actually visit here via the front page these days anyway?

I still do.

Graf Zahl said:

Partially offtopic crap

Back on topic:

Great to see that someone is developing one for java.. I probably should've stuck with java if I knew this would come along.. Nice work :)

Error is in the News RSS feed. Opera 9.5 has a Reparse document as HTML option - it works!