Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gabrimcr

Better doom or Half-life?

I'haven't said that is wrong to have a history... althought, it's a good thing and I think this is the only problem of DOOM... too small storyline!

I'll never get how someone could play half life and decide "man this game is dull". It must be something to do with being a Nintendo fanboy, or likeing shitty anime.

Reckoner said:

The story unfolded throughout the game through the player's eyes, rather than consisting of a few paragraphs in the manual like we saw in Doom and similar games.

Once again though this is the whole time factor. You can't really blame Doom for being technologically behind than Half-Life.

True, a mediocre story is worse than none at all. But, I found Half-life's story to be very compelling. Instead of just telling the story, Half-life used it to complement the atmosphere, and to give meaning to the progression of gameplay and the introduction of new monsters. I enjoyed Half-life's gameplay immensely, and I liked the new weapons and monsters of Opposing Force even more.

I also enjoy the pure action of Doom, but I enjoy any shooter more if I can lose myself in the environment. Any game should tell a story, but that story can be told with atmosphere instead of with words. Some Doom levels do achieve this, and those are my favourites. Espi's Back to Basics is a perfect example of a levelset that does this, through the slow progression to a hellish environment. Doom 1 also achieved this, with its themed episodes. I've always thought that Doom 2 levels are too random and discontinuous in this regard, and the architecture in Doom 2 doesn't contribute to any sense of "atmosphere". Example: Why does the final showdown with the ruler of Hell happen in an oddly-shaped room with about 5 sectors and 4 rising platforms?

doom3 is more system shock2 than half life. Actually its a complete rippoff. Mindless shooters are for mindless people *cough* lelelol*cough*

Doom... by far - as simple as it gets - arcade action.

But... different era, different technique, different games...

Of course in a forum called doomworld people principally prefere doom (not all but...). I want only to knew why? Because some of my friends are sure that half-life is better than doom and I want to knew other opinions...

If your friends enjoy half-life more then doom, they have a point. A better question for them would be if doom sucks (If they say no, they have never played it). Oddly enough, games are better then other games, but its better to see if the game itself is bad.

Most (if not all) of my friends enjoy playing doom and enjoy playing halo2, however, they would rather play halo2 over doom because halo2 is indeed better then doom. There is nothing stopping them from playing doom because doom itself is a good game.

It’s wrong to compare games to others because their will always be better games. It’s only fair to judge a game by itself.

Must... resist... temptation... to say... something utterly funny:

Half-Doom

there, I fail it...

Edward850 said:

It’s only fair to judge a game by itself.

Which is very short and true, but also: judging games will always be very subjective. Because they are art, among movie, literature, music, sculpture, painting, and whatever I might have forgotten.

You will never find a painting that everyone will like, and never find a piece of a music, that everybody would hate.

So it all comes to personal opinion again.
-Can those games be compared?
-Not really.
-Can you pick a favourite?
-Think I can.
-Aaand?
-Doom.

Maybe its just timing. Doom was one of the earliest games I've ever played. To be honest, I think it WAS the first game i ever played. And I've never let go of it ever since.

They probably hadn't gotten introduced to gaming till the later years when Half-life and Quake 2 were coming out. So its that era they were probably the most fond of.

For me, Wolfenstein is good fun but can get boring after a while, and I sure as hell dont want to go back down to playing commander keen and hovertank. Doom was the game I got into, and it was that style of gameplay that tattooed itself into my brain, which gives me the impression that every game that deserves the honor of being labeled "good" should play remotely the same way.

Half life is good because it comes pretty close, the game play is pretty exciting, and the visuals and environment effects make it seem like a movie, which gives it some extra bonus points, but its still not much like doom to me, so in turn the replayability of it goes down and I'm not as impressed.

Your friends probably are under the impression that every good game should be more like halflife, and there is rarely anything in doom that's visually impressing like half life is.

I've been playing Quake 3 a lot more recently... and I almost feel like I've been betraying Doom... heh. Doom holds a special niche to me probably for the same reason as many people here: it was the first FPS I played. I can grant that Quake 3 has all its fancy modern rendering, full 3D, etc. Last night I started up Chocolate Doom, and I still had a blast playing good old Ultimate Doom E1; it hasn't lost its appeal after all :)

(this post unrelated to Half-Life, but I thought it carried a message that games from different eras don't have to compete. Can't we all get along?)

Can't we all get along?

On the internet? probably not. but I try my best.

Captain Red said:

I'll never get how someone could play half life and decide "man this game is dull". It must be something to do with being a Nintendo fanboy, or likeing shitty anime.

How about looking at it the other way? How could anyone waste his time playing Half-life if he did something with his life besides go to school and play games? Do you ever read fiction or literature of any kind? Judging from your spelling, perhaps not. (I'm not a native speaker, so don't say I'm being misogynistic just because I can write decent English.) Super Mario World is a brilliant game, by the way.

baddream said:
How about looking at it the other way? How could anyone waste his time playing Half-life if he did something with his life besides go to school and play games? Do you ever read fiction or literature of any kind? Judging from your spelling, perhaps not. (I'm not a native speaker, so don't say I'm being misogynistic just because I can write decent English.) Super Mario World is a brilliant game, by the way.

Jesus Christ.

Die in a fire you fucking shit heel.

baddream said:

Do you ever read fiction or literature of any kind? Judging from your spelling, perhaps not.

It seems that there's been an influx of people who fail to notice the join dates of members.

YMB said:

It seems that there's been an influx of people who fail to notice the join dates of members.

And that's got, like, nothing to do with it. Having joined early doesn't necessarily mean that you're an omnipotent, god-like being just like that.

And Half-life still sucks.

YMB said:

The relevance?

Perhaps Captain Red's contributions have been more substantial in the past. If this were the case (and I doubt that it is), I might see more of a reason to restrain my observations for fear of irritating him.

BJ Blazkowicz said:
Bottom line, ask on a Doom forum, and they'll say Doom. Ask on a Half-Life forum and they'll say Half-Life.

I've always wondered if on half-life forums there's a group of posters who love to whine about doom every time it comes up.

I played a Half-Life TC for DooM on my Nokia N73. It came with C2DOOM and two IWADs (Half-Life and Counter Strike), but no text file regarding the WADs, so I have no idea who made them. I just know that it kinda sucked.

DooM and Half-Life offer somewhat different gaming experiences, and are based on completely different levels of technology, so it's not quite fair to make a comparison. Because of this, your question about which is "better" may be unanswerable. However, if your question is: "Which game do you prefer to play?" then the answer may be easier. For me, it's as follows:

1. I play levels for DooM (and occasionally the original levels) far more frequently than I play levels for Half-Life (or the original game). [This may, at least in part, have something to do with the fact that I map for DooM but not for Half-Life.]
    2. If I was told I'd have to pick one of the games and play it (along with its variants) every day for the next year, I'd pick DooM. That does not mean that I wouldn't want to play Half-Life occasionally; just that I'd prefer to play DooM on a regular basis.
    3. If someone told me that the elements of both games could be combined within a shiny new engine (say, GZDooM), and asked me if I'd play it, the answer would be an emphatic "yes!" Oh, wait. Isn't someone at DooM Nexus developing just that?

I enjoyed opposing force (i completed it twice), alot better than HL1, still more fun than HL2 and ep1. But doom wins by default.

Janitor said:

i really dont compare doom and half life at all, they're both excellent games in their own rights

how can you not compare these games??? theyre both the same games. fps is what they both are. janitor does not know much about computers yet.

I can not compare. They both take Lovecraft and create a wonderful experience both in there own unique way.
I'd say DOOM is better because it was first, and would I compare them I would say that Half Life takes that apocalyptic theme and story line and drives it in harder.

Perhaps had not the original plans from the DOOM Bible been cut, then perhaps DOOM would have had such a gripping story as well.

As for modern DOOM, it does not compete with Half-Life or the series in gereral at all! Fun yes, but it does not leave you hungry for more, wondering why all these ships are doing way up on dry land, and what these interdimentional business men are really up to!
Rather it's run around, read E-mails, and blast away at an enemy count that is no where near as impressive as old school DOOM's! :)

Fun, but felt like redundant forumla, rather than intensly creative like in the old days. Sort of like System shock 2 lite.

baddream said:

The relevance?

Perhaps Captain Red's contributions have been more substantial in the past. If this were the case (and I doubt that it is), I might see more of a reason to restrain my observations for fear of irritating him.

Bullshit!

Welcome to Doomworld!

Yeah but again Half-Life is A-OK in my opinion.