Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Prince of Darkness

Non-game Music+Doom ?

Awhile ago, I was cycling my older metal CD's (PoD speak for playing them all the way though) while playing through Doom 2 without the music. A few times, it just led me to having more fun than normal, but when MegaDeth's Synphony of Destruction came on, I got pumped; I was smashing the keyboard, feeling...extreme (?) and I swear I was running faster in the game, like it was some terrible drug for the doomguy.

Then I thought what other styles of music work well with Doom; I tried playing Crosby, Stills & Nash, which made me almost über calm (think=zen-like experence) Rock was a lesser state of Metal, and Weird Al's Accordion gave me what I thought was an LSD high.

Then I realized that combining other types of music with Doom could actually be a funny, delightful exprence.

Have you ever done this? And if so, has anything happened?

i listen to many things while mapping and playing doom. recently ive been listening to vivaldi, bach, schubert, wagner, chopin, mozart, etc while mapping and playing doom. every now and then ill listen to some metal while mapping or playing doom, usually pretty intense metal, like origin, nile, decrepit birth, cannibal corpse, etc. when i listen to classical i am a little more perfectionist feeling, gotta align every texture perfectly or not get hit a single time on hr26, but when i listen to metal i just pump out random shit in a map and put myself in ridiculous situations in any level.

I mostly just use the game music but from time to time I put on some rock while playing, and I must say, it does give me a pump.

I found GWAR, metallica, biohazard, and pantera work well. I haven't done that in years. I may try some of my new stuff, like amon amarth and whatnot.

I often put every music file I have randomly playing in the background, in place of a game's regular music.

Can be quite humorous at times.

A long time ago, I was playing an Instagib match in Quake 2 while listening to some Kruder and Dorfmeister cd. It actually went really well, and got me into this cool mood. That was also just about the only time I listened to that cd.

I also played through Quake listeing to Gladys Knight & the Pips before. Somehow...it went rather well. I think it was that group, anyways. Could have been a 70s disco compilation cd.

These days, I stick with the original MIDIs or the mp3s that are here on Doomworld, though.

I've used everything from medieval choir works to Goa trance. It all works. For speedrunning, IMHO something with a high tempo (or no music at all) is best.

I used to listen to various Metallica albums for other games that used CD audio in the DOS days.

Carmageddon - Garage Inc. CD2
Settlers 2 - Ride The Lightning
Q1 - Load (can't imagine playing it without that)
Shadow Warrior - Metallica

leileilol said:

as for doom i play doom music when i play doom

I have a hard time remembering the last time I played with the original music. Unless it's going to be an extended serious game or a thorough test of a custom project, I always either leave the winamp playlist going or pick something else I know will suit the maps. If I'm matching music with maps for atmosphere enhancement or whatever, I almost always use intrumental recordings, preferably non-band ones.

I agree with Kristian that most of the time, it's best to have no music playing. Everytime I download a new version of any source port, the first thing I do after running it is turn the midi volume down to nothing. It lets the actual sounds of the game come through clearer, and lets an entirely new atmosphere take hold of you.

But that's usually when I'm TRYING to play. If I just wanna listen to music and spend some time playing Doom, then it could really be anything. Due to my musical tastes at the moment, it invariably comes up as some sort of heavy metal.

(This reminds me of that post SuperSlammer made for heavy metal music, convinced that Metallica was the wrong way to spell...Metallica. It's best that I didn't actually get the chance to reply to say the least.)

Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails is probably the best soundtrack to Doom. That's actually how I originally got into NIN. The rest is history.

leileilol said:

i've put in a classic rock cd to shareware quake once

Heh, reminds me of a time I had Aqualung in the CD player while I was playing Quake. Mother Goose is a weird song to hear while walking around a creepy castle.

Dark Side of Phobos, heh.

Starting up Quake (can't remember if full or shareware) and letting the demo go with Primus's Brown Album in resulted in a strange synced up experience involving water.

Well for some pure crack I recommend playing with Demi Semi Quaver.

For an epic experience try Hexen (maybe Korax's Heritage) with Manowar, playing as the Fighter of course. Hey, if anyone can, it's Manowar that make it more motivating to play Hexen 2.

Captain Red said:

Fuck no. The closest I'd ever come would be using the PSX doom music instead of the original midis.

Not even some Red Army choir?

I don't have any of that but I would mix in SuperTzar by Black Sabbath if I did.

I think Nine Inch Nails fits the Knee-Deep level style nicely. There's a nindoom (or nin) wad out there in the /music section of /idgames, having midi variants. I also read somewhere else either here or in another forum, that Children of Bodom fits a world of Hexen and Heretic better than one of Doom (if you recognize your opinion here, please name yourself).

I usually play with default music, but sometimes I let the radio, player or playlist on and play with -nomusic. If it's a strong metal piece I'm hearing, I play Doom better, with more motivation.

D_RUNNIN can only be fun to hear for so long. No sound at all can make for a more immersed visceral experience. I've listened to all kinds of music whilst playing Doom. A massive winamp playlist featuring every song on your hd set to random play can really spice things up. It's great for mapping though. You sorta just soak in the sounds while the mind expands with creativity.

printz said:

Children of Bodom

I could see how they fit in with Doom, maybe not Hexen or Heretic. I personally don't believe Children of Bodom take themselves too seriously (I mean, the vocalist shouts FUCK in the middle of songs and most of the lyrics are made up on the spot anyway)... so mindless manic musical chaos mixed in with mindless manic virtual slaughter sounds like it does go quite well together.

Not too often do I play Doom with other music on, but when I do it's usually the typical non-stop Thrash or Death Metal type of stuff- GWAR, Dying Fetus, Helstar, I've been playing to the Dethalbum lately. If it's a more atmospheric type of wad I'm playing, with pockets of intensity, I'll bust out an old fav, Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings.

If the mood strikes me right, rocking out to something heavy seems to improve my ability to play. More recently, I forget what I was listening to, but I was in a coopbuildm server, totally getting into what I was listening to, and I was just playing recklessly, and just jumping into huge fights with little regard for cover and whatnot, but my K/D ratio benefitted from it anyway.

BoldEnglishman said:

so mindless manic musical chaos mixed in with mindless manic virtual slaughter sounds like it does go quite well together.

Yeah I don't care much for his voice and their lyrics. But their songs are awesome beautiful (yeah, except the obligatory rushed last album)!

And I too think it fits Heretic and Hexen more, because it has that adventury feel, versus the techno weirdo feel of KDiTD and Doom3, or macabre atmosphere of Inferno, or sadness of Doom2.

Sonic Mayhem's tracks for Quake II and Ground Zero are good choices for Doom. Lots of action, yet no lyrics to serve as a distraction.

Also, I have found that Apocalyptica ("Cello Metal") is good for dark and moody wads. Much of their later work seems fitting and more refined compared to their earlier stuff, including their (imo uninteresting) Metallica covers.

TawmDee said:

I found out The Exploited work pretty well during deathmatch.

YES

As well as 'F-Minus' and 'Fleas and Lice'

leileilol said:

Except when I play nightmare, that's when I turn up the most intense metal i got.

The Demons in the game actually start dying because your playing such horrific music? Either that, or your neighbour comes round and states how much he hates you, before throttling you with the power lead to whatever you are using to play the music.

BoldEnglishman said:

The Demons in the game actually start dying because your playing such horrific music?