Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Ads ads ads

Whoa.

I was watching TV while getting ready for work and I saw this commercial for a movie about people who can teleport. In the middle of the trailer, some kid turns on his TV and teleports into it. Then we get to see a FULL-LENGTH AD for Microsoft or HP or something where celebrities talk about all the awesome stuff they do on a PC while plugging their CD/fashion line/perfume/various other products and services. When that commercial ends, we're then teleported back out to rest of the trailer.

Someone give me a red pill so I can see how far the shithole goes.

1. Real matter is not the same thing as virtual matter.
2. We don't want computers to force into our life.

Japan is almost entirely like this though from what I understand. The multinationals have just exported a viable metheod of adverts into another culture.

as an aside: Japan also has the highest suicide rate in the world.

SirTimberWolf said:

Japan is almost entirely like this though from what I understand. The multinationals have just exported a viable metheod of adverts into another culture.

as an aside: Japan also has the highest suicide rate in the world.

But are the two related? HM!

Wow, that's horrible. I'm not even sure it's a real movie or if that trailer is just some flavor wrapping for the ad.

I suppose they only way they could make it more whorish is to have product placement from the movie in the trailer, and show it in the middle of some sports event they sponsor.

This, coupled with the technology companies are developing to make it ever harder to ignore advertising, makes me weep for the future.

I hate adverts at the best of times (the resident evil flash on this site has been a pain in the ass for days now) but that advert in the middle of a movie trailer (even though the trailer is an advert in itself) is fucking intrusive.

No, but see, the movie's main character is walking around inside what is otherwise a real commercial. And DURING the real commercial which is going on inside the trailer, the celebrity casually mentions she has a part in the movie that the commercial is going on in.

If that doesn't make your brain ooze out your ears, I don't know what will.

This commercial should win an Emmy for "Slowly and determinedly assraping the final shred of whatever artistic merit the television medium still had".

But it did have nice graphics.

Also, I had to disable my ad blocker to view this thread.

I think next time I'll just let it do its job.

Enjay said:
I hate adverts at the best of times (the resident evil flash on this site has been a pain in the ass for days now) but that advert in the middle of a movie trailer (even though the trailer is an advert in itself) is fucking intrusive.

That sounds masochistic, considering all the ad blocking possibilities available. Especially on a site you visit regularly.

Lüt said:
Also, I had to disable my ad blocker to view this thread.

That's a joke, right?

It looks like a new twist on the old practice of product placement. HP probably paid heaps to have their hardware and advertisments feature prominently in the trailer.

myk said:

That's a joke, right?

It's a sad fact of life for me. The extent to which I've locked down Firefox verges on paranoia. I'm using another browser (Opera) to view some flash in this thread and post a reply.

So it's like four or five advertisements all rolled into one, but fails completely to maintain any kind of coherency? I see why the marketing people think it might be a success, but I can't see it working.

The idea of a trailer is to advertise a movie, so the sudden interruption for product placement simply distracts from that. Then, the fact the the products themselves aren't really related to the movie (as far as I can see anyway) means it doesn't make much sense to have them so directly associated with it.

The idea of product placement is that it's supposed to be kind of subliminal, but this is just too blatant. No one's going to think "hey that looks like a cool movie, I think I'll go buy vista". Mostly because it sucks, but also because it's not relevant to a film about people who can teleport.

I assumed the idea of an advertisement is to have people remember it, so eventually they look it up and wonder what it's all about, which can potentially lead to purchase of said marketed product! If that's the case, this one works beautifully, because it's so crazy, people remember it, just like this topic proves!

Perhaps. But since the kind of attention this is getting in the thread is almost entirely negative. That probably means it's going to be received poorly elsewhere and so the image of their products suffers. Sure, they'll be well remembered, but for all the wrong reasons, like being money grubbing corporate whores.

kristus said:

I use Hostsman to get rid of all the ad crap online...

Thanks, I've been asking around for good advertising (etc) blocking so I'm downloading that right now. I've used hosts files before that that seems like a nice flexible way of doing it.

There was a different trailer for it, with no ads, when I went to see "I Am Legend".

oh gn0es... a young Anakin Skywalker is going to turn us into mindless consumer zombies! (That's Hayden Christensen starring in this movie, FYI).

Just what I want, advertisements inside of trailers. What's next? Advertisements during movies? I can just see it now:

*Two guys fight each other.*
*Guy starts to kick-
*2 minute advertisement for Coca-Cola plays.*
*-the other guy.*

It'll just be just like that. **

I'm absolutely amazed at how many adverts you guys in the States have on TV. In the UK, when we get American TV shows (which is like nearly all the time :roll: ) every now and again, the screen fades to black and then a moment or two later the action picks up wherever it had been before the fade. I always used to think that it was some sort of dramatic pause effect or something. That was until a few years ago when I found out that in the US, that's where there would have been a commercial break. In a 30 minute show, we typically only get 1 or 2 breaks during the actual show. The rest of the ads are shown before and after the programme itself.

A few years ago I was at a (considers whether to mention it or not... awww, what the hell) Star Trek convention (yeah, I know, I know, it wasn't my idea and I was dressed like a regular human, not a Klingon, and at no point did I raise my hand and tell anyone to live long and prosper). Anyway, they were screening a couple of episodes from a new season of Next Generation that hadn't been shown in this country yet and which someone had taped off of US TV and brought over. I couldn't get over it. You guys get that little bit of action before the titles, then a commercial break, then the titles, then another commercial break, then what seemed like about 5 minutes of action, then another break. How the hell do you stand to watch TV? I think I'd go batshit insane. I hardly watch any TV these days because it drives me up the wall anyway. And a lot of what I watch is on the BBC which has no commercials at all. In that time on UK TV, we might of had one break or, more likely, still be 5 minutes or so away from the first one.

But the breaks are shorter. After all the show still has to fit into a 1-hour slot, just like here. What I can't stand are 8-9 minute breaks which are rather common here in Germany.

Anyway, I rarely watch broadcast TV either. For me it's not attractive to begin with because I don't watch dubbed shows which is the only way to get them here.

DVDs are much nicer. No ads and you can make your own schedule (except for the waiting until they are released of course...)

I always used to think German-made TV looked really cool when we used to get it on old non-digital Sky, shame i couldnt understand it. Also my brother got into gameshows and there was one channel with a logo that was like a ball split into different rainbow segments that seemed to be a constant gameshow with blue lights and silver tinsel. We used to have to rush home so he could put this channel on and stare at something he couldnt understand... if he happened to turn it on just as the show was ending he'd go into a fit and start screaming for somebody to "rewind it".

Oh yeah and lame product placements are shitty... and i edge ever closer to starting a website for product boycotting based on the shittiness of ads, for instance "Soldner: Secret Wars" which used to be advertised by flash popups on doomworld which would slowly fade in, but be "there" even when they where totally transparent, meaning you'd click on a thread and really be clicking the ad. And Ford for that shitty jingle they where putting at the end of ads a while ago. And Aston Martin for advertising Aston Martin at you when you turn the key. And the iphone for making out it's something special when loads of other phones do the same thing AND are cheaper AND don't fuck up after a year. AND the fuckers make out you could't book cinema tickets by phone until thiers came along. AND they go on about "how did you live without it?", yeah right, some people in africa have to walk 5 miles for cholera-infested water to give thier HIV-positive children you smarmy fuckers