Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Prince of Darkness

A retro mod.

We know of Doom's Technopunk feel. But what if it didn't have that? What if, we take Doom 2 from the stand point of an individual person, not the Doomguy?

This mod, which currently exists as an idea, will be run by you guys as a new and hopefully inventive thought. By using Whacked2, I will edit two things, weapons and wall textures, to give the Doom look from more of a "Bystander's" point of view.

The story revolves around the player (at first) trying to get out of the city. He will first trek towards the freeway, but then be forced to go through the sewers, a residential district, and finally, getting onto the freeway itself. The entire time, the atmosphere will be primarily urban, with (hopefully) sprites for things like burned out cars.

The thing I hope to do well is the lack of closed-in spaces. Despite the beginning, it will be primarily outside, where dead bodies, burned-out trees, and broken cars litter the landscape- with a new terror behind each one.

What I will modify are regulated to only weapons and wall textures; The more scientific textures and computer displays will be replaced with Urban pieces, and (especially) the odd blood-stained wall.

The weapons will change, especially in their frequency and type. Remember that this mod is taken from the eyes of a normal human; the Doomguy had the tech of the millitary at his side. Thus, many wepaons will be changed. While things such as the Shotgun and Chainsaw will remain the same, the Pistol will take the appearance of a standard Glock .44. The Chaingun, however, will be truely changed; it will be a machine-pistol, Made to look like a Glock .44 with a longer stock, barrel, and clip with an added holster. The Rocket launcher will be replaced with a molotov Cocktail, and the plasma gun will be replaced with an Army-issue assault rifle. Sadly, at this time, there will be nothing to replace the BFG 9000; there just isn't a civilian weapon to replace it, so it will not be included.

No monsters will be replaced. Levels will be large, but there will probably be only 4 or 5 levels in total.

Date of creation revolves around when I recieve my new computer; the project may begin within a few weeks to a month. Right now, I am looking for feedback.

What do you think about it? Does it should like a good idea?

You realize that replacement weapons don't have to be analogous to the stock weapons? You can have all hitscan weapons if you so chose. It's a matter of coming up with something that balances out the game and doesn't seem redundant. The BFG could be replaced with a hitscan weapon that uses several pistol codepointers in succession and does not call the refire codepointer. And if you change the "Cells per shot" parameter, you can effectively make a powerful rifle with no adverse side effects (e.g. the shots are all lined up perfectly, and the ammo counter only decrements by 1).

The plasma rifle however, poses problems, as you will have to work around the muzzle flash randomization, but it's doable.

How are you planning to edit wall textures with Whacked2? Perhaps I understood it wrong, but are you planning to only edit weapon behaviors and add new textures, then let the mapping and weapon sprites (and sounds) to someone else?

No Vegta; I will only edit weapons and walls.

The idea is to take the Doom 2 story from the viewpoint of a normal guy. So while weapons and walls would be edited to look more urban and "real", the monsters would stay the same.

EDIT:
I forgot to add; no sounds will be changed. This will primarily be a sort of "venture in changing" for me, when (or if) I can put it together.

Prince of Darkness said:

No Vegta; I will only edit weapons and walls.

So, you're basically just talking about some texture and sprite (those for the weapons) replacements then, right?

You want to have the maps in DooM II stay the same, yet with different wall texturing? Then, if I may ask, what sprites do you want to replace with, say, burned out cars and the such?

This sounds like a good idea. But it really should be at least 7 levels long, as that would include the player getting onto the spaceship with the rest of the human survivors after the doom marine hits the switch in level 7.

Jim Rainer said:

But it really should be at least 7 levels long, as that would include the player getting onto the spaceship with the rest of the human survivors after the doom marine hits the switch in level 7.

That's a good point. But It all just matters on my ability to piece together my maps and storyline. In this, I wanted pacing to be evident and well-used.

scorpion said:

Then, if I may ask, what sprites do you want to replace with, say, burned out cars and the such?

Sadly, I am unsure. I do think that replacing the "Burning barrel" and even the explosive barrels would be a correct step; both really don't fit into a city with one living person inside, does it?

BJ Blazkowicz said:
So if you're going to do just that, then who will do the mapping? Because if I read correctly, you didn't ask for any help...

That is true, I didn't ask for any :p. I would really like to do this myself. Basically, I want to get a "feel" for modding, trying out little things and such in this mod while making it at the same time. It will be challenging for me, but I will try to complete it within the next few months.

Thanks for the feedback, however, I do not think I will want any help on this one; think of it as a way I can prove myself to the great Modders of the Doomworld communitiy ;)

I guess I'm getting a bit of a half-life feel for two reasons, both of which good.

Assuming the player isn't a marine, or isn't the same kind of Brass-Knuckled Shrapnel Chewing marine that the doomguy is, damage should probably be adjusted unless he comes across some kind of power armor or something. The more normal a person he can be, the better effect you might get.

Secondly, if at some point you have either a cutscene or an encounter with the Doomguy, albeit not interfering with Doom2's plot (IE, they can't really interact, but maybe the player character can just see the doomguy go by) then you can create the duality you're going for.

Bank said:

I guess I'm getting a bit of a half-life feel for two reasons, both of which good.

Assuming the player isn't a marine, or isn't the same kind of Brass-Knuckled Shrapnel Chewing marine that the doomguy is, damage should probably be adjusted unless he comes across some kind of power armor or something. The more normal a person he can be, the better effect you might get.

Secondly, if at some point you have either a cutscene or an encounter with the Doomguy, albeit not interfering with Doom2's plot (IE, they can't really interact, but maybe the player character can just see the doomguy go by) then you can create the duality you're going for.

Great idea, Bank! Like, he could defeat the halfway level and suddenly see the Doomguy run past...that would set the mood.

As for damage, I agree with you. It will probably have a few extra points added to any attack (to show the lack of millitary training) and to emphasize this further, there probably won't be any combat (blue) armor- security (green) only, and I will probably put it next to a dead body for a better "feel".

I'll have a separate post to show what I will do.

I HATE double posting, but here is what I have so far for the mod and it's general idea:

Weapons-

• Fist: Primarily remains the same. Will probably use my smaller hands (and lack of brass knuckles) to show the lack of millitary training. Might decrease damage. But I might speed it up (perhaps due to the lack of bulky armor and large, heavy weapons). I probably won't include the Berserker pack, as advanced stimulants don't really fit into a public scene. More on that in a bit.

• Chainsaw: I really won't change anything here; might replace it with the Evil Dead chainsaw for looks, but I don't really want to spend much time on editing something that really doesn't need it.

• Pistol: This will remain, but in a different fashion. It will be switched from the standard to a real-world Glock .44, and I will even try to replace a sprite of something (like the Berserker pack) so that you could even pick up another pistol; will this make you dual-wield? Probably not.

The damage will remain the same, but the firing speed will be increased slightly. Enough that it becomes more of a useful weapon. I am even thinking of adding a "reloading" action after using 12 shots. It will be like the Super Shotgun, with images showing the clip coming out, another being put back, and the gun being cocked. This will add to the difficulty and realisim in the game.

• Shotgun: I assure you- nothing will change here. Aside from a probable reloading tic, This will remain the same as before.

Instead of finding it in the world, you will probably get one via killing a shotgun zombie. Most ammunition will come from their kind as well.

• Super Shotgun: Why fix it if it isn't broken? I might tone the damage a bit (so it is TWO shotgun blasts) but otherwise, no change. Will be quite rare.

• Machine Pistol (Formore: Chaingun): We told those gangsters not to, but they did it anyway. I'll simply take the sprite for the pistol and edit it; it'll have a -slightly- longer barrel, an added holster grip near the front, and a visably extended clip and other "cosmetic" changes. Will probably have a reloading frame after 30 shots have been used; like the pistol, removing a clip, placing one back in, and cocking the gun. Damage will be the same as the pistol.

• Molotov cocktail (foremore: Rocket launcher): I don't know if I can add an arc for a range, but you get the idea; it's a bottle filled with flammable liquid (i.e. Gasoline, lighter fluid, ect.) with a rag or piece of clothing shoved into the mouth of the bottle. It is lit by a lighter, match, or other item on fire and thrown to cause an explosion.

Most will be found in homes or more run-down areas where people had easy access to these items. You will find 5, and the sprite for the actual weapon will be removed (probably for something more cosmetic) so that finding 5 molotov's will automatically allow you to fight some larger demons with a measure of success. All will have a sprite of a lighter (hey; he has to find and light them from somewhere) besides the bottles.

• Assault Rifle (Foremore: Plasma Gun): Taken from the bodies of fallen army/national guard members, this will be quite rare. It's ammo will be in a single box, and the actual weapon will only be found, maybe, three or four times in the actual game. Will also have a reloading animation, but it will not share ammo with the final weapon. Damage, and/or firing speed will not change, but the muzzle flash will.

• .50 Caliber Machine Gun (Foremore: BFG 9000): I despute if you will even find this within me, because I am trying to decide if you fight something that will need this weapon. It will be modeled after an old Browning Machine gun (the kind in World War One) and the ammo level will be severely hacked; you will only be able to carry about 100 bullets with reloading frames every 50 shots. This is due to it's weight (they weigh over 50 pounds, if I remember correctly) and it's extreme damage- think plasma gun, triple the damage, and keep it's rapid fire nature.

It will probably only be found on the last level, where the Demons are tying to destroy the ships trying to get off earth. This level will probably have a Cyberdemon, which will advocate the use of a .50 caliber machine gun. The area will also have been that of a failed attempt by the Army to hold them off, so there will be weapons and ammo everywhere- perfect setting for an assault by one civilain and his trustly .50 caliber machine gun.

Health/armor items-
  • Health Bonus: This will remain the same. Nothing will change, and their frequency in levels might even increase.

• Armor Bonus: See Health Bonuses. Without Security armor, you will need all the armor you can get.

• Stimpack: This will change. The level of health refilled will remain the same, but the sprite will be changed by something like...an MRE, or even food (like wolfenstein 3D) to represent your surroundings.

• Medkit: This probably won't change, just due to the fact that it is a medical kit with bandages, anteceptic sprays, and the like. But they will be rare, only appearing a few times in each level. However, they will also refill the same 25 points of health.

• Security Armor (green armor): This won't change. The level of armor recieved will still be 100 points, and will take 1/3rd of the normal damage off from attacks.

• Combat Armor (blue armor): This won't be included. "Combat" to me says "armed forces", and since most are dead and filled with burns and bullet holes, I think their's would be pretty useless.

• Soul Sphere: This will remain. It will still give you 100 extra health.

• Invisibility Sphere: This will also remain. You will be partially invisible, and will primarily be found in darker places with may accompanying specteres lurking in the shadows.

• Invulnerability Sphere: Just the same, but here, *really* rare. Probably only found in a secret area.

• Mega Sphere: as the only way to obtain 200 armor (outside of cheating and not getting hit) I will include them, but only in a place where there will be a huge fight; like, perhaps, a boss battle.

• Berserker Pack: Since we are in a residential area, I don;t think they will be anywhere in the game. If they are, expect them to more like how the awful Doom book stated; they are for pulmonary arrest (like heart attacks) so you might actually take a health hit from using one, unless your health is below a certian ammount (like, 50%), at which, it will give you your full health. Expect them to be very rare.
Other items-
  • Exploding Barrel- without a nuclear reactor to provide them, there will be no Exploding barrels anywhere in the game; they will be replace with sprites of cars, damaged and unusable, but they do serve a purpose like the original; while the motor may have been damaged, the tank still has gas. A few shots, and it's gone in a firey explosion.

• Burning Barrel- Like mentioned above, this will be replaced with a sprite of a destroyed car, but unlike above, it will be the Essence of destroyed. No gas left, no engine; really, nothing but a wreck; a heap of junk. Will be used extensively, especially in some levels.

• Lamps: All will be changed. The old si-fi lamps will be gone, replaced with more "normal" looking house lamps. However, the will differ on make, color, and if they have blood splattered on them or not.
Level progress-
  • Level One- Residence of the dead: You will start in your home, which will be a two story house. Exploring rooms will yield a few health bonuses (an perhaps, even a backpack) but nothing else. Windows up top will allow you to see (and fire at) zombies on the street. The level will primarily be filled with homes and a single gas station, with wrecked cars in front of them; this level, like the others, will primarily be used to practice my skills at modding, in this case making doors, windows, and staircases.

The whole level will be small, but will still have a few Cul-De-Sac's full of homes to explore and pilfer for items. Most, if not all, enemies will be zombiemen, with a few shotgun guys mixed into the fray. Expect a few secrets, but not much else. The level will end with you getting onto the freeway.

• Level Two- Freeway: This will be a light Free-for-all. Some newer itmes can, and will be aquired, and the level will primarily be a maze of nothing but wrecked cars. Be careful; many are explosive. The trick of this level is stayingup on top of the freeway, as there will be several enemies in "captivity" below, the worst being a hell Knight. Don't worry; he can't get you.

The level of secreat will vary, but will probably be minimal. Expect a lot of imps and zombiemen on buildings, with several others, primarily shotgun guys and a few demons, roaming the bottom streets (emphasizing the "stay on the freeway" message up top).

• Level three- Back to Work: Here, my lighting skills will be put to the test. The level will consist of three office buildings, each with it's own problems and skills getting through. One will be full of weak enemies, and be several levels tall. The nest will be dimly lit and will have several Demons and Specteres roaming it's halls, and finally the third will have only a few strong opponents in it's big halls. Expect many secrets and easter eggs; many from my beloved Office Space.

• Level 4- Back on top: Another slug-fest, this level primarily consists of fighting very strong enemies on the tight confines of the freeway. Like level 2, don't get off the freeway. There will litterally be tons of enemies prowling the streets, but thankfully, most can't get up, due to the on ramps being blocked by cars (like in level 2). Expect monster infighting and a few (but very rewarding) secrets. The level ends with finding a useful, not-so-blocked offramp.

• Level 5- The slums: Break out the Molotov's and the chainsaw; this is going to be brutal. Noting but Zombiemen, imps, demons, and shotgun guys here- this is an ammo-less zombie-for-all, which will really stress your ammo consumption and ability to hold back. Expect your ammo to be based primarily around Molotov Cocktails, extra bullets, and whatever you can pull form the bodies of the damned you have killed.

Secrets will be medium and gaining full armor protection will be achieveable in this level.

• Level 6- To the Ark: Here, in an earlier sequence, a dying man at the end of the level told you of the ship to get off of the planet. He also told you of the field that keeps humanity stuck here, and of the marine you saw before oging to shut down the shield. Giving you his assault rifle, he says that the demons are waiting for their savior to drop the fields to attack, which will kill all the inhabitants; and you are the only one to stop them! Promising that you will complete the mission no matter what, the man dies.

This level revolves around the demons trying to block your path out of the airport. Ammo will become abundant, and any Molotov Cocktail you got in the last level will become of use here. Expect to fight most (if not all) of the Doom II enemies (except bosses) in this massive level that encompasses a Warehouse, a Police station, several homes, a Parking Garage and an office building as you try to get back onto the freeway to make it to the airport. Several traps, secrets, and new weapons can be found here.

• Level 7- Salvation: This level has one objective; kill anything that stands in your path. Expect in the first few minutes to fight Most, if not all, enemies in Doom II, excluding the Cyberdemon, Spider mastermind, and Icon of Sin. You will battle your way through the Airport security and through the terminals until you fight the final boss; I won't spoil it, but you had better be well-prepared to face that sort of challenge in the end.
How does it look so far? Anything I should edit or change?

Remember that weapons sprites should all be centered or all off-center, so if you're using the regular weapons in with the new ones, you should keep them all pretty much in the center of the screen.

Necros20 said:

Would the boss be a new monster?

Nope. Really, any monster will remain unchanged.

Bank said:

Remember that weapons sprites should all be centered or all off-center, so if you're using the regular weapons in with the new ones, you should keep them all pretty much in the center of the screen.

What do you mean, Bank? That they need to be alligned in a sort of way properly?

Well yes and no. If you look at classic doom weapons, they all are centered in the screen, as though you held the gun out right in front of you, as opposed to the more natural positioning found in new games and some weapons replacements where the gun is positioned slightly at an angle to the left or right. If you're keeping the classic weapons, I would suggest all of the weapons having the centered positioning. IE, if the gun isn't perpendicular to the status bar, it's not centered. Mixing centered and non-centered is usually not a great idea.

Bank said:

Well yes and no. If you look at classic doom weapons, they all are centered in the screen, as though you held the gun out right in front of you, as opposed to the more natural positioning found in new games and some weapons replacements where the gun is positioned slightly at an angle to the left or right. If you're keeping the classic weapons, I would suggest all of the weapons having the centered positioning. IE, if the gun isn't perpendicular to the status bar, it's not centered. Mixing centered and non-centered is usually not a great idea.

I see. That should be easy enough to do.

Heya I was just looking at this! I do suggest keeping the BURNING barrel because it's something u might see in a city! You can find a 'rocket' (beer bottle) near there too I guess!