Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD (original project thread archived from 2008)

The experience of playing through Knee-Deep in ZDoom is one that many Doomers will never forget, but there is one lingering question: What could KDiZD have become if it were not restrained by the limitations of the ZDoom engine?

Knee-Deep in KDiZD is an interpretation of the ZDoom.org community's groundbreaking production, Knee-Deep in ZDoom. Our team intends to enhance the original episode by utilizing the power of id Software's Vanilla Doom2.exe 1.9; modifying designs, reworking gameplay, building new areas, and incorporating features that have never been seen before in vanilla Doom.

Features include:
- 9 totally revamped great-looking, fun-to-play reinterpretations of the original KDiZD maps
- Many of your favorite KDiZD monsters, brought to life in DeHackEd
- 6 unique keycards
- 1 new weapon, the rifle
- 3D angles for items and other objects
- Ambient sounds
- Bullet casing effects for hitscan weapons
- Advanced lighting effects
- Sloped surfaces
- Big Dumb Lensflare (BDL) Technology
- Smooth warping liquids
- DETAIL! DETAIL! DETAIL!!!1

Our mapping team currently includes Esselfortium, Nuxius, Brinks, Tun, Tango, Butts, with testing and technical support from many others.

Knee-Deep in KDiZD is a new experience, but holds strong to the atmosphere of the original. It's time to relive KDiZD the way it was meant to be: Experience Knee-Deep in KDiZD.

(But not yet.)

Here, take a promotional picture:
edit: sigh, startan3.com is dead and i can't be arsed to reupload a picture that's way outdated now anyway

Coming March 2005

<3

And just think, if you reworked map04 at the same rate you reworked these, Millennium would have been out last year! :O

Dittohead said:

haha

Awesome; sign me up for 3.

I love you.

edit:
10:12:27 PM Derek Braun: sorry I'm afraid that I'm retired from Doom mapping :(
10:12:32 PM esselfortium: hey now :(

Not often does the Doom community see such creativity as what essel has planned here. Each time I play KDiZD, I do often find myself wondering what more it could have been had it been developed for the Vanilla Doom Engine. Essel has given me a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and for that I am grateful. I only hope I, along with the rest of the team, can deliver a quality product that exceeds the high standards of this community.

I love the promotional picture and hope you keep that palate in the finished wad. It'll look great on the greyscale monitor that's been gathering dust in my garage :-)

esselfortium said:

Coming March 2005

your already almost 3 years late :D

i was going to say also, how can you still call it kdizd when it doesnt use zdoom? :O

Xtife said:

your already almost 3 years late :D

i was going to say also, how can you still call it kdizd when it doesnt use zdoom? :O

It is Knee-Deep in KDiZD, in that we are "knee-deeping" it, or bringing it back to the classic engine. I know the name makes very little sense, but it makes me giggle when I say it.

I am really looking forward to this, I mean kdizd; but fun... It is an amazing concept that I cannot wait to see.

dude, this seriously is a really freakin good idea. if i wasnt so busy right now then i would help with doing something... but if you are going to extend the deadline by a couple years, then i might sign up later.

Butts said:

dude, this seriously is a really freakin good idea. if i wasnt so busy right now then i would help with doing something... but if you are going to extend the deadline by a couple years, then i might sign up later.

Haha, awesome. No big rush. If you'd like to help out with this sometime in the future, though, it'd be greatly appreciated. You're a great mapper :)

This reminds me of my mock wad idea, Z-Deep in KneeDoom (The problem is, it wouldn’t make a good mock wad).

Thumbs up for this project. Hope it works.

esselfortium said:

- 9 totally revamped great-looking, fun-to-play re-interpretations of the original KDiZD maps
- 8 of your favorite KDiZD monsters, brought to life in DeHackEd
- 6 unique keycards
- 1 new weapon, the rifle
- 3D angles for items and other objects
- Ambient sounds
- Fully-animated intro map

I thought you'd make it for another port, like EDGE or VaVoom, or even Eternity, which you are currently mapping for, in which case you'd be planning to portal the player to total madness.

In case it's for Doom (why doom2.exe and not doom.exe, when doom.exe gives space for all the new monsters) then how are you gonna manage 6 unique keycards? manual exe hack or fake keycards which are switches or props instead?

Are you gonna use doom(2).exe or doom(2)p.exe? You'll need high visplane and savegame size limits.

Also, with Dehacked only, new monsters wouldn't be very many -- you'll run out of attack options.

Moreover, does a reverse of ZWADCONV even exist?? You'll have to base your maps on KDiZD's. Good luck and don't leave this as a joke. Without care, this could turn out lame :(

I'm not joining because I don't know what the hell to do once I'm called, that could surpass ZDoom.

Slopes? Overhead water? Changing colormaps? Center texts? I guess KDiKDiZD will look old-school again. Again, I hope you don't label it as a joke wad.

printz said:
I thought you'd make it for another port, like EDGE or VaVoom, or even Eternity, which you are currently mapping for, in which case you'd be planning to portal the player to total madness.

I think you're missing the point of this exercise.

In case it's for Doom (why doom2.exe and not doom.exe, when doom.exe gives space for all the new monsters) then how are you gonna manage 6 unique keycards? manual exe hack or fake keycards which are switches or props instead?

I considered changing it to Doom.exe, but Doom2.exe allows for more maps, so we can have the animated titlemap and a credits map. Also, it allows us to use a different sky for the secret map, so we can get the nice dark-and-rainy effect.

Are you gonna use doom(2).exe or doom(2)p.exe?

Doom2.exe, with DeHackEd. It's being tested in Chocolate Doom.

You'll need high visplane and savegame size limits.

Heh, no. This is looking good without any visplane overflows. We've had issues with visplane overflows in a few places, and with a lot of HOM (Doom HOMs when there are too many 2-sided lines in view at once), but they've all been fixed so far.

Some of the maps will likely overflow the savegame size limits, yes, but Chocolate Doom has an option in its setup program to expand that limit.

If you don't try saving, the wad will be 100% compatible with doom2.exe 1.9. Making it for doom2+ or another limit-removing port would defeat the point entirely. (Yes, extending the savegame limit in chocodoom is removing a limit, but there's no way around that without deleting half the maps. And it's possible to play without saving if you're enough of a purist to shun chocolate doom I guess.)

Also, with Dehacked only, new monsters wouldn't be very many -- you'll run out of attack options.

There are eight new monsters, all of which are finished and working, though there might be some minor tweaking later on when we get to playtesting. Not all of them are exactly identical to their KDiZD brethren, but they're all at least similar. We've got:

- Dark Imp (stronger than regular imp, throws fast blue fireballs)

- Soul Harvester (grayish imp-looking fellow that throws yellow homing-missile skulls at you)

- Shadow (runs around quickly, then squats in place and throws fireballs until you're out of its line of sight)

- Mauler Demon (red spiky pinky-demon that jumps at you from across the room)

- Rapid Fire Trooper (similar to the zombieman, but with faster fire)

- Chaingunner (same as doom2's chaingunner, but with both a normal and gibbing death animation)

- Hell Warrior (throws yellow fireballs, shoots green baron-fireballs from its shield, and holds up its shield to defend itself and become temporarily invulnerable...yes, the shield actually works.)

- Bruiser Demon (throws a yellow fireball from each hand, throws six exploding fire projectiles at the ground, and throws a barrage of homing missiles)

The Hell Warrior and Bruiser Demon each use nearly 3 monsters' worth of dehacked frames.

Moreover, does a reverse of ZWADCONV even exist?? You'll have to base your maps on KDiZD's. Good luck and don't leave this as a joke. Without care, this could turn out lame :(

Huh? I've been working on z1m1 entirely from scratch, just getting the measurements from the original map where needed. z1m9 is being done by copying and pasting one room at a time, then trimming it down and re-detailing to fit.

And this isn't a joke. I've put a lot of time into it, and I guarantee you that it's very much real.

EDIT: Oh hey, you added to your post!

Slopes? Overhead water? Changing colormaps? Center texts? I guess KDiKDiZD will look old-school again. Again, I hope you don't label it as a joke wad.

Slopes are being either replaced with new architecture or faked with midtextures.

Colored lighting is being faked pretty realistically. (That shot is now somewhat outdated...the area on the left has been detailed a good bit more)

Hudmessages are the cancer that is killing Doom.

If this wad looks old-school, then we have failed miserably.

Again, this is not a joke.

esselfortium said:

- Chaingunner (same as doom2's chaingunner, but with both a normal and gibbing death animation)

This bit confuses me. Are you adding new death animations, because the original Chaingunner has normal and gibbed deaths already.

Snarboo said:

This bit confuses me. Are you adding new death animations, because the original Chaingunner has normal and gibbed deaths already.

You sure? I remember it only having one death animation, that was sort of a semi-gib. Either way, this one uses more frames for its deaths. No changes to its behavior, though, since the KDiZD one is the same as the Doom 2 one other than the sprites. :p

A new gibbing death animation for the chaingunner would be very nice. The default one (CPOSO0 -> CPOST0) looks very similar to his regular death animation (CPOSH0 -> CPOSN0). And thanks for confirming that it's not a joke. Now I can't wait till March 2005...

scorpion said:

A new gibbing death animation for the chaingunner would be very nice. The default one (CPOSO0 -> CPOST0) looks very similar to his regular death animation (CPOSH0 -> CPOSN0). And thanks for confirming that it's not a joke. Now I can't wait till March 2005...

Ahh, I see. I had never noticed the difference ingame, and I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what I was replacing.