Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD (original project thread archived from 2008)

printz said:

I agree... it takes him almost THREE DAYS to post. Not like your 5 posts per day spree, which will make you better than MYK!

Will there be KDiKDiKDiZD for Nokia or Minesweeper? Just asking, I don't have the time necessary. :) Finally, ain't this KDiZD capitalization a reference to NiGHTMARE?

No, no, no, no, no, and no.

:P

printz said:

Finally, ain't this KDiZD capitalization a reference to NiGHTMARE?

It is if "NiGHTMARE" stands for "Naked in Great Highly Turbulent Mutant Apes' Real Estate" or some similar acronym.

printz said:

I agree... it takes him almost THREE DAYS to post. Not like your 5 posts per day spree, which will make you better than MYK!

Doomworld administrator Kyka as - thought horrifying that is. Yoda's words, not mine. :-)

Gez said:

It is if "NiGHTMARE" stands for "Naked in Great Highly Turbulent Mutant Apes' Real Estate" or some similar acronym.

As far as I know that is actually what it stands for

rf` said:

Startan3 is still down?

And it will be until I have some money and the hosting company I was with quits fucking me over and will let me register/transfer the domain. The first simply involves waiting for my next paycheck so I can pay for hosting worth my time of day, the second involves a small miracle. Sorry people.

pfff of course it is.

The thing that's weird about this project is that everytime I look at the screenshots, I think "So what, I've seen these maps before." It's when I see this bad boy running in chocolate doom is when I fall off my chair and have a seizure.

I haven't talked with Nuxius or most of the other guys for a while; I'm not sure if they've been working on KDiKDiZD or other projects or what. If they haven't been working on this, though, I can't blame them -- I'll admit I haven't done much work on this for the past few months, myself.

I know Tun has done a bunch of work on z1m3, though I haven't actually seen it myself, heh.

I've done a bit of texturing work for nukage and windows, as seen here. Being that there's no translucency, or downwards texture scrolling, in vanilla, I had to script Photoshop to take each of the 128 frames in the nukage warping animation, vertically offset it the correct amount to make it scroll, and then make a second copy with translucent shawn2 overlaid on it to create glass windows. The result looks pretty great, I think.

I also set up the basic mechanics of the map which will be used for DEMO2, the Credits sequence. It will be a seamless slideshow of 320x200 credits pages for the different team members.

There has also been some early work done on MIDI music remixes of the e1 soundtrack, which might end up being used in this.

sorry, i havent done much work on it either... but fear not, we will get this done by 1993 in no time!

essel is amazing

esselfortium said:

I haven't talked with Nuxius or most of the other guys for a while; I'm not sure if they've been working on KDiKDiZD or other projects or what. If they haven't been working on this, though, I can't blame them -- I'll admit I haven't done much work on this for the past few months, myself.

Heh, yeah, I think you and me were "feeding" off of each others work there for a bit, and then we both just kind of fizzled out. :\ All I've done is some more work on Z1M7 since.

Anyway, Tun is working on Z1M3 now? Awesome. :) So who is working on Z1M9 then, out of curiosity? Might take a shot at it (if no one else is working on it) whenever I get my butt in gear again (and finish up the mapping part of Z1M7).

Who is making the MIDI tracks, out of curiosity? Looking forward to hearing them. :)

Nuxius said:

Heh, yeah, I think you and me were "feeding" off of each others work there for a bit, and then we both just kind of fizzled out. :\ All I've done is some more work on Z1M7 since.

Anyway, Tun is working on Z1M3 now? Awesome. :) So who is working on Z1M9 then, out of curiosity? Might take a shot at it (if no one else is working on it) whenever I get my butt in gear again (and finish up the mapping part of Z1M7).

AFAIK, no one is working on M9 at the moment. If you want to do anything on that, feel free :P

Who is making the MIDI tracks, out of curiosity? Looking forward to hearing them. :)

Currently, I'm working on d_e1m3 and The Green Herring is working on d_e1m1.

Hey!

This still isn't dead; it's been getting worked again more recently. I've got z1m4 mostly finished, and its monster/item placement (for skill 3, at least) is even done! The map's current size (not including resources, just the map!) is 1.68mb, with 20928 sidedefs and 1398 sectors. Yes, it still runs.

A couple of recent m4 pictures:

http://sl4.poned.com/screens/kdikdizd/m4/12.05/capture_05122008_161328.png
A little completely new-from-scratch area I built to replace a straightaway and shorten a long visplane-inducing line-of-sight near the exit

http://sl4.poned.com/screens/kdikdizd/m4/12.05/capture_06122008_025157.png
The (originally domed-ceiling) room that follows it, where you face some hell knights and blood demons before the exit.

http://sl4.poned.com/screens/kdikdizd/m4/12.02/capture_03122008_014444.png
My newly-done reinterpretation of the circular four-doors room from near the beginning of the map, as I was never at all happy with how it looked before. After taking this shot I darkened it quite a bit and made the inner area's lights flash, to better match the atmosphere of the original, but you can see more of it in this shot. ;P

Of course, this is just a bit of what's been done to m4 recently -- a lot of it is either gameplay setup or too minor to worry about screenshotting. And, of course, I don't want to spoil too much. Tun has also been working on m3 and m9, and Nuxius has done some work on m7.

Estimated release date: August 1997

Mik57 said:

lol, in last screenshot, the "No permittance" sign is upside down.

No, it just looks a bit distorted due to the pixelation.

bumping this thread to ask if there has been any work done on this recently?

I guess he's swamped with off-the-computer activities :)

Though actually he has a crew...

printz said:

I guess he's swamped with off-the-computer activities :)

Though actually he has a crew...

Actually he's working on this super secret project that he talks about all the time on IRC. I'm not really supposed to talk about it though or mention that he's working on it.

He's worried, that if he works on one project consecutively for too long, he just may have to release it. :p

Which one of his super-secret projects? TSoZD, Vaporware, the other one, or the one that's even more secret than all others combined?

Craigs said:

Actually he's working on this super secret project that he talks about all the time on IRC. I'm not really supposed to talk about it though or mention that he's working on it.

Wait ... so ... Essel's making DUKE NUKAM FOREVER?

He was - but that's on hold while Apogee and Take-Two argue over who's intellectual property he is. That's one aspect of indentured servitude I really dislike.

Not a whole lot of progress lately to be honest, but here's some stuff we've done that I don't think has been posted in this thread yet:

Tun and I have been working on m3!

Nuxius and I have been working on m6!

(he did this! it's crazy cool!)

In addition to another map being in the process of an overhaul to match its to-be-finished KDiZD counterpart, but I probably shouldn't show that before anyone even sees the regular version...

As always, if you're interested in helping make a completed KDiKDiZD a reality, contact me.