Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD (original project thread archived from 2008)

esselfortium said:

Well, we don't actually know that yet, because he's testing in ZEEDOOM 9_9

Heh, well what's there is looking pretty good! I actually contemplated doing z1m3 after essel joked around about me signing up for it (or was he really joking? ). But seriously though, there was no way I had the time to do it nor the patience to do constantly worry about breaking seg limits since I don't really know how to restrain myself.

But yea, looks good...you'd better keep working on it Tango you silly you :3

darn zdoomer! just bust out the command line and leave it minimized but always on.

that would probably be easier, but im too dumb to think of that.... or figure out how to make it, or too lazy to make it even if i did know how.

@Butts: Take the following, put it into Notepad, save it as z1m6.bat, and change the file paths to suit:

"C:/file path for chocodoom/chocolate-doom.exe" -merge "C:/file path for kdikdizd stuff/kdikdizd.wad" "C:/file path for kdikdizd stuff/flatwarp.wad" "C:/file path for kdikdizd stuff/z1m6.wad" -deh "C:/file path for kdikdizd stuff/kdikdizd.deh"

Add -nomonsters for the chocorenderlimits.exe one. Then you can load up the map for either renderer testing or gameplay testing with an easy double-click.

There's probably a much cleaner way of doing the file paths but I only have to type it once so I don't care :P

you know, i should do that, so i probably will. it sounds a bit easier than typing in cd C:\b\u\l\l\s\h\i\t\chocolatedoom every time, rather than write once, then double click on it.

@Butts: Also, I recommend using BSP as your node builder, with the following parameters (added to the default %F -o %T or whatever the default for it is in Doom Builder):

-picknode visplane -blockmap comp -factor 25

This will make it use the visplane-conserving node algorithm, build a compressed blockmap (so you're less likely to overflow the blockmap size limit), and split segs less often.

I've found that those settings can help when working with areas that are right on the edge of HOM or VPO, though of course it still doesn't give you a gigantic increase.

indeed, thank you.

i was about to show great progress, but then i realized i dont know how to take a freakin picture in chocolate doom. it was an area right on the edge of HOMness (255 segs). why doesnt the program ever show anything above 256 segs anyways? it just halts at that, it would be convenient to know how much im going to have to remove, but its not important.

im going to edit this post with a pic from gzdoom in a little.

this is about as exact as the building is going to get.
http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doom0022kg6.png

the spot in the background hasnt been touched, but if i turned it into the base, id have a vpo for sure, not to mention its already borderline HOM, so im going to figure out how to stay faithful to the layout but bending that area out of view.
http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doom0023pf2.png

by the way this thread became a really hot topic.. haha. pun intended.

I think you can use the -devparm parameter and then one of the FKeys to take screenshots in Choco, like you could in vanilla Doom, but I just open up IrfanView, hit C to open up the Capture dialog, and set up a keyboard shortcut to have it capture the frontmost window. That's why my screenshots all have the chocodoom title bar on them. :P

EDIT: Looks nice! :D

ahh indeed, sounds confusing. thanks again.

ooh this had 310 posts and 8000 views just now... but its probably ruined right now.

I'd like to set up/find some batch files to auto-run the map smoothly in choco for me, but when I got around to where I actually tested the map last night, I was planning on going to bed soon anyway.

Looks cool, butts :) Much better than what I started.

esselfortium said:

I think you can use the -devparm parameter and then one of the FKeys to take screenshots in Choco, like you could in vanilla Doom

F1

@Butts: One thing that concerns me a bit about what you've done so far is that if that building exterior is already pushing the limits, once you've started working on buildings that can actually be entered it might be difficult to prevent them from appearing visibly cut-down in comparison.

thats the start location, i already reduced detail a good deal on it, and plus, its got the dirt and canyon-ish terrain in view as well.

ok, i fiddled around some more and i've tested it in both render test and chocolate doom, and i reached the limit in a place or two near the very start, but i only notice HOM's due to the flashing pink of the render test. in regular chocolate doom, there is no noticeable HOM, no matter how hard you look or where you look (unless you IDCLIP, and thats cheating).

I just put up these new (well, some of them new at least) shots on Wads in Progress, but the site hasn't been updated yet so I figure I might as well post them here too. Some of it's stuff I've already shown here, but oh well. :)

We could still really use some more mappers on the team. If you're at all interested in working on KDiKDiZD, send me a PM!

Also, Butts, if you're reading this, please get in contact with me!

Congrats on how you faked the vertical gradient light in shot #1. Or that many-many-sector slope set in shot #3 (counting them in z-order, not и-order).

The later KDi(KDi)ZD a level gets, the more awesome it becomes. I hope you don't ditch the Deimos Guardian just because some fanatics think it's not for Doom. Also, the rifle... I didn't know until recently that sniper guns are perfectly possible under Doom.exe!!!

It seems some members (usually the newer ones, like JonTTu, Sigvatr, probably butts too), once they get themselves losered, there's no chance for them to be redeemed. :( Will they be losers forever?

EDIT: I always read ZDoom as it is writen: [zdu:m]. Not Zeedoom. The fewer syllables the better, always.

The levels look like they are coming along quite nicely. The screenshots look great. Can't wait to try it out. ;)

I can't believe you're not VPOing in those shots. Last time I made a vanilla map, I couldn't get much of anything in before VPO reared it's ugly head. :p

Maybe he's secretly using Doom2p, despite his plans to keep it doom2.exe. :P

Nope, this is all doom2.exe. Esselfortium somehow manages to stay within its limits, and I have no idea how :( He also manages to work on this unlike everyone else on the team (which includes me).

Tango said:

unlike everyone else on the team

I'd understand if you have other work to do, but think about it: KDiZD has some awesome levels, and it would be even sweeter to actually be able to replay them under the true Doom 2 executable. This project once released will hopefully spark some inspiration to the masses for basic Doom.exe mapping. Which can only be good, because as has been said, limits encourage creativity.

Tango said:

Nope, this is all doom2.exe. Esselfortium somehow manages to stay within its limits, and I have no idea how :( He also manages to work on this unlike everyone else on the team (which includes me).

He uses a modified Chocolate Doom made by me that shows how many planes and stuff are in view, which is shown in some of the screenshots.

GhostlyDeath said:

He uses a modified Chocolate Doom made by me that shows how many planes and stuff are in view, which is shown in some of the screenshots.

Oh yeah. Still though, everything works in doom2.exe.

Well, yes. that's the point. He knows exactly where the limit lies, and can make the map keep right below it.

kristus said:

can make the map keep right below it.

How did I miss that port? Is GhostlyDeath's port publicly available?

Now the only question that lingers is, why did it take 10 years before anyone made this kind of source port?