Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Arcane Doom

A team of mappers started to work on a overall "medieval" themed megawad. The main theme is 'old stones', and includes the following styles :
- castle
- gothic
- heretic/hexen
- egypt
- aztek
- caves/canyons

Eternal Doom atmosphere is allowed (and loved:)) but switch hunting and long puzzles should be kept to a minimun.

The wad will be Boom/Limitless and feature the following:
- new monsters: rock imp, gray cacodemon, hanging hell knight, plasma marine and archvile spectre
- new sprites: for items, lighting, decorations as well as Rebirth's skin for the baron of hell
- new sounds
- new musics
- new storyline and in game text
- new GFX (various screens and status bar)

Here are few screens:

if the gamma is too high, let me know, my screen is quite dark so I had to brighten the screens a bit...

We post here because - the project barely started and mappers that would like to join a non-tech megawad are very welcome to join us and show their potential.

this is the author's choices (not me btw) and I think it doesnt look that bad.

of course it could be nicely replaced with a texture ... maybe in the future.

i think this looks pretty nice. i dont see why not use slopes in doom, or just make a bunch of sectors to emulate it, it looks fine.

i would like to join this, BUT not now or anything cause im too busy, but maybe in the future, like a few months from now, if the project is still going or needs help or anything.

Butts said:

i think this looks pretty nice. i dont see why not use slopes in doom, or just make a bunch of sectors to emulate it, it looks fine.

i would like to join this, BUT not now or anything cause im too busy, but maybe in the future, like a few months from now, if the project is still going or needs help or anything.

there is no hurry, we want to get quality maps and take as much time as we need to do so ... you are welcome to join whenever you are available :D

entryway said:

Not so good idea to emulate slopes by means of one billion stairs. We do not need slopes in doom.

You must not like Afterglow then. Also, what "we" do not need is people dictating what should and should not be allowed in a map.

Personally I'd say if you're going for arches in doom, the only ways to make it look decent are:

1) You could go all the way with 1-unit sectors, using textures and flats that match each other for the inside of the slope, to create the smoothest fake slope you can. This is tedious but the result looks amazing if you do it right. Anything else and it'll look like your arch was built with Lego blocks.

2) You could use custom midtextures for the arches, with a simple grainy texture (something like CEIL5_2) used for the inside lines and flats, to make it look solid.

3) You could forgo the imitation slopes entirely, and build an arch of bricks or bars, based on the size of the bricks or bars or whatever in the texture you're using. (Example)

Looking good.

I like how the bold colors like blue and orange are being used sparingly as highlights, but not forsaken entirely.

Screen gamma is fine, 5-7 are even a bit dark but not such a problem on a dark background like this.

I've never minded, and sometimes quite liked, sector-based shapings like arches, but it's true that the one in 4 could use a bit of tidying up and a bit of reshaping.

Though really, something like this would probably be much better off made in Heretic or Hexen instead of trying to cram so much of those games into Doom. I've never thought that mixed well.

It kinda looks like a wannabe eternal doom with more of a heretic look rather than hexen. I'd play it though. You have my support.

Ditch the carpet in shot one and two or change the surrounding floor. They match poorly. Also, who's the Legacy user? (curious)

It looks very nice so far. How much have you completed already and how many are on the team?

kristus said:

Ditch the carpet in shot one and two or change the surrounding floor. They match poorly.

I think the carpet looks good as is and adds some nice detail, but maybe the colors could be altered a bit. However, I'm not sure that the sky in those first few shots really fits.

kristus said:

Ditch the carpet in shot one and two or change the surrounding floor. They match poorly. Also, who's the Legacy user? (curious)

The screens dont have the right color, I brightened them up and screwed the colors a bit...

I normally dont use legacy but here I have no choice.
For some weird reasons, on my system most ports wont record screenshots for me (prboom, prboom+ and zdoom), even though they display they do. Choco-doom works but it only does 320x200 screens and its not boom compatible ... Didnt try eternity yet ...

As for the maps, we only have 5 incomplete maps in, and a couple other slots booked. The resources (including dehacked patch) are hopefully complete. Additions are of course possible.

VinceDSS said:

For some weird reasons, on my system most ports wont record screenshots for me (prboom, prboom+ and zdoom)

What happens instead? Nothing? In which folder you have prboom installed? Contact me in ICQ and maybe we can solve the problem.

"Slopes" on the sixth screenshot are looked unnaturally. That part of a ceiling should break and fall down

first - we are looking for a decent title and would like to ask the community for some suggestions. I am sure we have some geniuses in this matter around here :) So please submit your ideas :). If your title is chosen, you will be credited.

No one have any good idea ? :(
We've made a poll in the team but all our titles are a bit crappy or w/o inspiration.
(btw I'm the co-moderator of this project)

I agree with entryway in that the slopes look stupid, but I agree with what manc had to say about that :P

Anyway, I love the gothic themes, Scythe 2 maps 1-5 were my favorite from that wad.

Good luck, looking sweet!

Haloless0320 said:

Looks good,very eternal doom.

Hehe :)
Yes it's Eternal Doom reminded for some screens, but Vince and me have both loved the atmosphere of this wad and not the gameplay.
Our others influences are somes maps from scythe2, Av (heh Av25 from Vince himself of course), ruinbros, heretic, hexen (mostly for design).
So, if you want to submit a map, you know where are our preferences ;)

In screen 4 - a Roman-style curved arch would fit in better with the medieval theme if it's not too much of a headache to design (BTW- I'm not a mapper - it probably shows :)) or stick to the stepped arch in screen 3.

In screen 6 - I agree with Entryway, the arches don't look structurally sound.

Apart from those small details I like what I see - good luck.

we will recommend the mappers to fix some of those arches, it shouldnt be that much work.

Now back to what originally brought us here, do you guys have any suggestion for a title ?

VinceDSS said:

Now back to what originally brought us here, do you guys have any suggestion for a title ?

Monarchy?

Anyway, this project raises my interest. I would like to contribute to it.

Dr. Zin said:

Monarchy?

Anyway, this project raises my interest. I would like to contribute to it.

I sent you a PM with a link to the resource wad, enjoy :D

I am looking forward to your contribution.

TimeOfDeath said:

Looking good, Vince. :)

thanks, I know you like the eternal style so you can join anytime :D

Call it "Castles & Cacodemons" (C&C, or cnc.wad).

myk said:

Call it "Castles & Cacodemons" (C&C, or cnc.wad).

a little too close to command and conquer :D

Very nice pictures.

As for a title, how about : "The Infinity Paradox"? [The word "Infinity" is a sort of nod to the "Eternal" DooM theme that you're going for.]

VinceDSS said:
a little too close to command and conquer :D

Well, it seemed fitting for a D&D-like DOOM mod in an amusing way.

There's already a popular wad called infinity, I made a list of the most rotten horrible scary mapnames that are almost all suitable for hell themed maps, if you plan to include anything religious in this wad, you could probably use one of the names I came up with as a title for the wad.

This isnt the MOST rotten but what I think is the most suitable title for the wad that I have is "Crucifix of the Damned"