Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

what ports support colored lightning and can it be used in Doom Builder?

what ports support colored lightning and can it be used in Doom Builder?
I mean turning the lights red or yellow or blue and stuff.

Also how can you make stairs that look "smooth"
Is that i Zdoom only feature and does it work with Doom Builder?

Boom (so Eternity) supports coloured lighting too, but you need to have the colormaps, which are available somewhere by Team TNT's website, albeit in saturated colours. Use the Transfer Heights (Fake Floor and Ceiling) linetype as you set the higher/middle/lower texture to desired colormap's name. Make colormaps by using CMAPTOOL as you edit the default palette. Get CMAPTOOL by Team TNT's website too.

Do i have to use Doom in Hexen Format to use colored lightning? And can i do it without colormaps and just use a tag. Like with Doom64 TC where giving the sector effect a certain number and it would change the lightnings color (In Doom Builder).

If so do you know about sites that or links to those codes/numbers that define the color of the lighting?

Are you planning your level for a particular port or are you trying to make it as universal as possible?

Some ports have specific, and easier methods of coloured lighting than others, but those methods may tie you to the port. Other methods are more universal (like the one already explained).

ZdoomHexen format is specific to Zdoom, but Zdoom can do coloured lighting without ZdoomHexen format and without the need for additional colormaps.

And let's not forget that Boom's colormaps are viewpoint based not sector based. That means you get the color of the sector you are in, not the one of the sector you are looking at.

Enjay said:

Are you planning your level for a particular port or are you trying to make it as universal as possible?

I don't know much about colored lightning in Doom yet, so i am sort of trying to know both "port only" colored lightning and colored lightning that is not tied to ports.

right now i am not "planning" on anything. I am just trying to learn and understand how to use colored lightning so that i can use it in future maps and i want to know what methods are easy and hard, and what methods are tied to ports and why.

Graf Zahl said:

That means you get the color of the sector you are in, not the one of the sector you are looking at.

Yick. That destroyed some of my plans.

hardcore_gamer said:

i want to know what methods are easy and hard, and what methods are tied to ports and why.

I'm really only experienced with the Zdoom methods (recently anyway). Scripting is very easy once you're used to it but the older method for Doom format maps is also easy. You give a control line the correct line type and put a number on the upper side to represent the colour you want the tagged sector to be. Job done.

Methods are tied to certain ports simply because that's the way they were written for that port and because other ports do it differently.

The Boom method probably would be the most universal but now that Graf has reminded me of how it works, it is incredibly limiting. I remember having all sorts of problems and trying little tricks like putting translucent textures of the right colour on the lines enclosing coloured sectors to fake them looking coloured from outside. I *think* the Boom method was never really intended for coloured lighting as such but, rather, to colour the view under a liquid deep water sector. As such, it is very limited for use as a coloured lighting effect.