Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Doom gets 11 out of 22 on Most Influential Video Games on GameDaily.com

Not sure how some football game go 3, but Doom only ranks 11 of 22. :(

Number 1 was World of Warcraft.

They mentioned user designed offerings of N64 Mario but didn't mention user designed offerings for Doom. Leighm.

Read it here

This doesnt belong to "Wads and Mods"

DooM should be first. I really dont get how the things like Football, Wii Sports and Guitar hero get so high...

NeoWorm said:

DooM should be first. I really dont get how the things like Football, Wii Sports and Guitar hero get so high...

Because they're the latest "Fad". That's why it's considered influential. However, the Wii thing isn't a fad, it's probably something else entirely under "Casual gaming" which has been around for awhile now. Casual Gaming isn't going away, either. It's why Tetris still sells.

I have to comment on the football comments above. I'm not suprised at all that Madden would be so high. Sports games in general are among the most popular in the world, because they appeal to a wider amount of gamers than say, Heroes of Might and Magic. Many, many people I know who dislike video games love sports games. Me, I'm not the biggest fan (though I'll still throw in NBA Jam or NFL Blitz from time to time). I believe Doom should be higher but not #1 and WOW should definitely drop (don't know where or if I'd rank that one), but at least one sports game should make the top ten, perhaps not #3, but since it's the only one on there, I can agree with it. Tetris should probably be #1, since I'm pretty sure it's the all-time most-played game. Wii Sports shouldn't be on there, as it hasn't influenced jack shit, but I agree with almost every other game on there, though maybe not in that order. There are some glaring admissions of course, including the RTS genre (C&C or Warcraft II), Diablo, Sonic, at least one racing game (Gran Turismo or Mario Kart would be my vote), a game representing the traditional RPGs (Might and Magic/Ultima/Wizardry/Fallout/Baldur's Gate/etc.), Contra or Megaman, King's Quest or Monkey Island, and Civilization, and even with that limited list I've probably missed a ton myself.

Of course, as with any list, you'll never please everyone.

P.S. As for Guitar Hero, I disagree with it on principle (I'd love to learn those songs on a real guitar, and I've been doing so), but after playing it, it really is deceptively fucking fun, so I can't fault it. Plus, if there's one thing I can laud it for, it's the fact that it's giving a generation of people who are growing up with such trash as Chingy, Fergie, and a whole host of terrible shit an appreciation for some excellent music. I'd put it up there, but probably not top 10.

Hrm, this is one of the lowest-ranked entries I've seen on lists like these. A bit disagreeable as I think longevity should have a higher priority in such lists, but give the one a few years and the more recent entries would probably drop significantly in the rankings.

NeoWorm said:

Aye-aye captain!

The list seems to be based more on popular culture... and possibly money grossed? I say that because when I read the madden Football paragraph... it talked about how it was one of the only NFL sanctioned (cant think of proper word right now) game... under the only company to be sanctioned by the NFL to produce games about it. It also makes sense to put WoW at the top because of that... its making huge amounts of money.

It just seems more logical when you put the list in to that sort of perspective. Oh well... IMO.

The one glaring omission I see is Counterstrike, and I would argue that if an N64 game is going to make the list, it should be GoldenEye, not Mario.  Also, it seems logically inconsistent to include both DDR and Guitar Hero, yet put WoW on there without Everquest.

alexz721 is completely correct about RTSes and RPGs, although I'm not sure a single title was really the watershed event of either genre.  In the latter case I would nominate Ultima IV or Bard's Tale (but could live with Baldur's Gate or Diablo).

I would take out Metroid, which many people love, but which was not influential in the sense of being widely imitated; the same is true for Contra, Mega Man, and Sonic.  I would take out Space Invaders, which was the Wolfenstein 3D of its time: a fad of absolutely tremendous size, and then immediately brushed aside by Pac-Man and Defender.  Wii Sports is nothing more than a reincarnation of those Atari 2600 baseball games: a marketing tool to make parents believe that if they spend $400+ on a new system, they might use it too.

The list seems to be based more on popular culture... and possibly money grossed?

If that's how they made the list, then I think solitaire, Minesweeper, or Bust-A-Move should at least be honorable mentions.   :>

What episode is that from?

Possibly "Night Terrors" — good question though.  Very few distinguishing clues.

1. WoW
2. SMB
3. John Madden Football
4. SF2
5. Tetris
6. Resident Evil
7. Pac-Man
8. Wii Sports
9. Guitar Hero
10. GTA3
11. Doom
12. SM64
13. Pong
14. Legend of Zelda
15. DDR
16. The Sims
17. FFVII
18. Metroid
19. Tomb Raider
20. Space Invaders
21. Myst
22. Pokémon

None of the new games should be on there other than GTA3 (which actually did kick off the sandbox genre). And being that the first LoZ influenced maybe 3 or 4 IP's in its era, it shouldn't be on there, either. Link to the Past should be, though.

Myst shouldn't be on there; if we're going to refer to point-and-click adventure, goddammit, give King's Quest it's due!

FFVII shouldn't be on there, either. I don't recall it being a very big influence at all in RPG's. Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (NES) are much more influential, despite being shit games.

And the only thing I can think that Pokémon could have influenced was Blue Dragon.

These guys need to actually play some games instead of looking at sales figures and listening to fanboys.

pilottobombadier said:
These guys need to actually play some games instead of looking at sales figures and listening to fanboys.

Heh, the makers of most of these lists just join the bandwagon influenced by market trends. DOOM was much better ranked when DOOM 3 and Half-life 2 (FPSs) were in production or about to be released, and now that MMO's are the thing to sell, WoW is on top. So "most influential games" actually refers the game types to invest on according to current marketing conditions.

Such lists are for producers and customers, as opposed to being for designers and players. The two sets may ovelap here and there a bit, but are definitely different things.

Mozart is influential because the best selling musicians are making classical music? Yeah, right.

Exactly Myk.
When Doom was released it was hot as hell... I remember we were talking about it at home, on the way to school, in school and finally on the way home *lol*
Top "woman/man/game/car/etc." lists = bullshit, as always.

I liked the comparison of the most-ported games instead. While it's still not an accurate depiction of influence, or even necessarily popularity, porting games takes time and energy that's usually not spent if there's no market for it. Doom has been on what, 10 OSes and 20 consoles officially? I don't know the actual numbers, but it beats the hell out of any other FPS (if you count unofficial source ports, then Quake (and its "sequels") would probably match it...)

I would find this list to be more accurate if it weren't ranked. 22 influential games, yes. Doom 11 and Football 3? No.

Ouch said:

I would find this list to be more accurate if it weren't ranked. 22 influential games, yes. Doom 11 and Football 3? No.

It actually doesn't really say its ranked. It just says "photo 1, photo 2, photo 3" etc....

Hellbent said:
It actually doesn't really say its ranked. It just says "photo 1, photo 2, photo 3" etc....

Yeah. You're the first to blame for any confusion, heh.

myk said:

Yeah. You're the first to blame for any confusion, heh.

You are right, but my cookie jar got looted in the middle of the night, so all you get is a pat on the back. Maybe a junior mint if I can find one.

How the hell did resident evil beat doom? That game was cool for a couple of days and then I got final doom for psx. I still play that game.

Oh God no this is a catastrophe.
Yes, let's all become outraged at this list, because it of course means that you can no longer play Doom since it's not number one.
The community is doomed.

Heh, it's like those "top 100 best songs evar" lists on TV with fashionably ignorant* talking heads reading thier "memories" from an autocue about them (the genre isn't called "Clips & Cunts" for nothing) where 95 of the songs have come out in the past 5 years, theres a few token "oldies" that are really influential thrown in while the people jabber about the outdated fashions the band are wearing rather than the song, and "Imagine" is number 1.

*Best quotes (both about Manic Street Preacher's 'And if you tolerate this your children will be next') are:
"It's called 'and if you tolerate this your children will be next'... chapter 2, huhuhuhuh" (Yeah because anything with more than 5 words in it counts as a book... well actually the longest book you've ever read probably only had 5 words in it so i can see where you're coming from)
"It mentions fascism, and the Spanish civil war, whats that all about?" (Yeah, getting inspiration from a major historical event, what's that all about? IT'S TOO HARD I CAN'T UNDERSTAND!! thick cunt)

pilottobombadier said:

I agree. It really is all they do when they make the "Greatest Hits" series of Video Games.

However, if the Wii games and guitar hero games are at the top, I can understand; they ARE the pinnacle of interactive.

I have no clue how Halo isn't on there. Madden also deserves a spot in at least the top 5 because it was one of the first franchises to make those of you who read pokemon strategy guides as a kid at the school lunch table and the kids that beat you up similar in at least one way.

Ralphis said:

I have no clue how Halo isn't on there. Madden also deserves a spot in at least the top 5 because it was one of the first franchises to make those of you who read pokemon strategy guides as a kid at the school lunch table and the kids that beat you up similar in at least one way.

Whoa I didnt even notice halo wasnt there. Halo is HUGE especially in the fanboy market.