Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nathan92

Doom 4?

printz said:

I do, I do, though it's also that my machine is old and many custom levels aren't well-compiled so they're crippled. I still think the id guys could have spent more time on the challenges, than just doing the usual spawning of monsters among loud noises. Considering D3 was said to become a disgusting horror game, they could have tried at least something new than shoot-shoot-shoot.

I'll like the game really much when a dedicated team or expansion company makes megapaks both with imagination and no Doom 1 or 2 homages. Not to forget that they'll have to be of Doom theme, not TCs.

There are a number of good Doom 3 mods out there, and a number of Doom 3 mods worth looking forward to as well like Recall to Hell and Doom Reborn.

Also, its a shitload of fun to make Doom 3 maps yourself with all of the control one has over the detail and stuff.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10354&Itemid=2

id Software has officially confirmed Doom 4, and is looking for hellions to join the game's expanding internal development team.

Mesquite, Tex.-based id said Wednesday that production has begun on Doom 4, nearly four years after August 2004's Doom 3.

"Doom is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth,” said id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead in a statement. “It’s critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles.”

No other details on a release date or target platforms were available as of press time. When asked, reps for the studio would not comment further on Doom 4 outside of the press statement.

id jobs can be found at the studio's official website.

Doom 4 built on id's new engine.. even though it's been hyped up in the trailers (i particularly like the mention of it running smoothly 60fps on all systems), I still don't feel the same sort of excitement I felt when Doom 3 was first announced and we disussed the newly rewritten engine from scratch and all that.. used to feel so fresh. Now, with the Unreal 3 engine being licensed left and right to everyone and the amazing visuals it produces, i'm less excited.

Hopefully, judging by the Rage footage, first screens of Doom 4 will change my mind, maybe as soon as the QuakeCon :)

hardcore_gamer said:

Doom Reborn

Doom Reborn... lol

Speaking of the unreal3 engine, by risk of sounding or acting like a fan boi. I am not very impressed by it. They've made some great fun games with it. But visually I don't think much of it... Might just be the developers sucking of course, but aside from "Gears of War" I can't think of a game using Unreal3 that I found visually pleasing.

Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 in particular (great games though, specially for coop). But also Bioshock.

Doom 4: Second Life

After the events on Mars, our hero has retired from the scene for a more peaceful life.

Now he spends unmesurable hours living on a virtual enviroment without contact with the real worlds or the demons.

He's doomed to spend the rest of his life logged in, pretending to be a swedish girl.

Comming Soon....

Texas Libra said:

Named Inga?

Perhaps yes... that would add a personal, familiar touch... like an Easter Egg for the doomworld comunity

My hopes and expectations were very high during the production of doom3. And I thought (and still think) that doom3 was not the game it could have become. I'm afraid that idsoftware and/or JC has lost their/his ability to make a game that is fun to play. In so many interviews JC has told that he didn't like playing games anymore. He doesn't seem to be able to make a game that I like to play.

Doom4 should not be tribute to doom or doom II, but build further on what made those games so good and fun to play.

I want to Doom 4 to be a true sequel of Doom 3, of course having references to the original Dooms just like Doom 3.

I'm really hoping for some actual non-linear events. Just for the replay value.

No-Clipping Monsters. A must.

And more monsters ON FIRE

Some time in the past John Carmack stated that Rage, known as the id 5, will be the last game engine he develops. So maybe by the time when the team starts working on Doom 4, Carmack will be out of the picture.

I'll tell ya what DOOM 4 needs to bring old fans back, and new ones in...

THE REMERO

http://romero.smugmug.com/popular/1/12524879_K2jT2#12524879_K2jT2

Though Carmack may have had the tech know how to make the games work, it was the other "John" who made the game FUN.

He had the inspiration and ability to create/bring to life what was in his twisted mind, Carmack just gave him the means to do it.

If you go to his site and read some of his notes/interviews about the early days of ID, you can see he was the driving force behind some of the truely innovative aspects/artwork in the game...no one can ever make a game level like him!

Since he left, his world has been riddled with failures, he thought he was "The Shiz" and could go it on his own (Ion Storm and the inspired but poorly made Diaktana) I am not trying to take anything away from Carmack or any of the team involved, but it's like that Beatles reunion without Lennon (Each of the Beatles have had some level of success, but never like they did together)

Unfortunately... I am doubtfull this would ever happen, I think there are too many hurt feelings and ego's in the way..but bringing these two guys, along with as many of the original team back together would truely give the fans what we all crave.

Doom 4 needs water and the enemies of Doom 3! There is also water in the classic doom series, so it is not out of place. Furthermore, the best thing in Half Life 2 is the water! So, maybe they should concentrate more on that wet thing :-P!

One thing I want in Doom4 is to be able to look down and see my legs/feet.

I just think it's pretty dumb and illogical if you have none like in Doom3.

Bungie took on this concern of the fans and added legs/feet to MC in Halo2, so I hope id do too.

It would be great to see Romero come back, bring more of an old Doom feel back. I loved Doom3, it's my fav of the series, but I want bigger maps and more open areas in Doom4.

Hopefully RAGE is an indication that id could be headed in this direction in Doom4.

Danger said:
I just think it's pretty dumb and illogical if you have none like in Doom3.

If realism matters one should be able to see the whole body from the chest down, or the shoulders when you turn the character's head (perhaps a head turning feature needs to be implemented, or the head turns briefly when the character gets hit from the side).

myk said:

If realism matters one should be able to see the whole body from the chest down, or the shoulders when you turn the character's head (perhaps a head turning feature needs to be implemented, or the head turns briefly when the character gets hit from the side).

Heh, don't know if ya being sarcastic or not, but I think that would be taking it a bit too far. Doom's greatness is partly down to it's simplicity so I would not want to implement independent head movement.

The legs thing just annoys me tho, it's stupid. For eg- you can stand on the edge of a platform in Doom3 then swivel round so you are actually no longer on the platform and are hovering over the drop next to the platform not connected to it. The marine needs legs to bring visual clarity and logic to such movements.

Look at the way they do it in Halo2. Your view is limited- you can't see your chest, but you can look down and see your pelvis downwards.
That's what id should do with Doom4.

Danger said:
Doom's greatness is partly down to it's simplicity so I would not want to implement independent head movement.

A head-turning input option would slow things down and burden the player, but it could be automated. The head-turns-when-hit idea would be like a tribute to the status bar face in DOOM. Also, generally when we turn in a direction the head moves first and then the shoulders, so when turning to one side the shoulder on the side one is turning towards could show up briefly on the lower side of the screen, and maybe the weapon could go out-of-screen an instant unless the player is firing while turning.

Nathan92 said:

Is it a possibility? On wikipedia, It said they had announced it, If so is there any news for it?

Just to give a straight answer, yes, it is coming out eventually.

I think I read that the main reason the environments were so small in Doom 3 was because of engine limitations, a small design that was corrected in Quake 4, and ever moreso in ET:QW. Since Id Tech 5 is able to render larger areas, we'll probably be seeing larger areas and bigger fights (if only so they can showcase their new engine :P).

I've, also, heard it mentioned in an interview that they're trying to go back to the fast-paced gameplay that made Doom 2 famous and so lovable.

That's not quite accurate. There's really no limitations in Doom3 on how big a scene can be. It's entirely down to computer processing power.

And saying that it was the engine that made them go with that path isn't really likely either. Since they made the engine and could easily have added features similar to those of ETQW to keep large scenes in check. Of course, ETQW require a fair bit more than Doom3 still though. But the scenes in it are admittedly quite huge.

I know people are gonna stab me for saying this, but i just needed to risk my life to speak of the truth that the gfx in ETQW even for outdoor scenes, by no means that is better, are not as photorealistic as HL2

HL2 has just a better appetite for those CGI obsessed nerds, including myself...I'm somewhere in between regarding this matter, for its photorealisticness

$SOLID$ Necro said:

I'll tell ya what DOOM 4 needs to bring old fans back, and new ones in...

THE REMERO

http://romero.smugmug.com/popular/1/12524879_K2jT2#12524879_K2jT2

Though Carmack may have had the tech know how to make the games work, it was the other "John" who made the game FUN.

He had the inspiration and ability to create/bring to life what was in his twisted mind, Carmack just gave him the means to do it.

If you go to his site and read some of his notes/interviews about the early days of ID, you can see he was the driving force behind some of the truely innovative aspects/artwork in the game...no one can ever make a game level like him!

Unfortunately... I am doubtfull this would ever happen, I think there are too many hurt feelings and ego's in the way..but bringing these two guys, along with as many of the original team back together would truely give the fans what we all crave.

Your damn right he did. John Romero was the boss for DooM2/Final DooM
for both TNT:Eviloution and The Plutonia Project. Or, so he might have been, but that was the basis for the facial work T_T John Romero was incredible, I always wanted to meet him... (there again, whoever is a doom fan, DOESNT wanna meet him?)

They announced this way back. And I for ONE, is really not that excited about it, cuz the most of the people who were involved with
CLASSIC DOOM( The best DOOM!!) Are all gone. So it won't never again have THAT MAGIC that made DOOM..... DOOM!! DooM3 has already provin' that, even though it was gorgeous in it's graphical appeal.

After reading this thread and others on the forum it looks like a lot of you are thinking the same thing I am. Doom 4 needs to be more like Doom 1&2 and less like Doom3. Every thing from the game play to the pallet to the Demons them self's should look like Doom but not a exact copy.

I say make it like Dead Space, but with Doom monsters. More monsters than Doom 3. Instead of going for immensely great graphics that are cutting edge. Dull it down a little to make more enemies fit on screen.

Games like Painkiller and Serious Sam show that people still love a simple frag feast. We don't some big story, crazy puzzles or soul cube crap. Just some key hunting, over the top fire fights and some good level design. Great Graphics do help but that shouldn't be the main focus, game play should be. And for fuck sake please let us use some duct tape this time.

As for J.C. leaving. I doubt its going to change a lot of things when it comes to game play. As far as I know he mostly built then engines. Basically he provided the canvas and every one else painted on it.

But, one thing is true. That man is going to leave some big shoes to fill. Since it seems like his engines tended to push the industry forward and left most game dev's trying to play catch up.

After Carmak is gone it be kind of cool to see Id team up with maby Vale or Epic Games when it comes to engines. Out of the two I think Vale would end up winning out. Due to the fact that they got there start using I'd engine and made Death Match Classic as a tribute to Id.

id software also need to study games like "DEAD SPACE" and Monolith's "F.E.A.R" 1&2, also the "Condenmed" series for suspenes and atmosphere. And they need to retire THAT PLAYED OUT floating gun crap and rise with the times. FPS has evolved so much since then It's hard to understand why id still sticks with same old "gun to the lower right" method while FPS's like "Call of Duty MW" series uses also the close up Scope/Iron sites and sprint while the weapon is on the "low ready" position.

And "Ubisoft" transformed FPS to the greatest heights yet with it's "RAINBOW SIX: Vegas" series, you get 1st person, close sites, over the shoulder shooting, blind firing, and a SNAPPY 3rd person cover system all in the same game, that's never been matched or surpassed up to this point.

Playing the F.E.A.R original and the just recently released FEAR2: PO demo 360/ps3 also broading my FPS perspectives. I really like the VOLTING anime, when you jump in/out of a windows and the ability to create INSTANT COVER by moving obstacles. And as far as 1st person goes, a very old PC game called "Tresspasser" started this but over the years I seen little snippets of the idea passed on to other FPS, like the "Condemned" series, and also to "Chronicles of Riddick" game and even the FEAR series. These game give you the TRUE feeling of 1st person by giving a slight fish eye visuals and allowing the player look down his/her body and actually see their FUCKING LOWER HALVE!! NOW there's DICE's "MIRROR's EDGE" which took FPS to a whole new level. FPAP/First Person Action Platformorming. the consept is still in it's infanty but they're planing to incorperate it into future BattleField series projects, I can't wait to see what it could evolve into.

For Christ sake id, FPS have evolve but YOUR stuck in the past hoping nobody would notice or care. GET WITH THE TIMES or your gonna become obsolete and fade into history.

TSAR,

@tsareppsun: What the hell? Who would want any of that crap in Doom? You seriously have a problem with...I'm guessing by "floating gun" you mean running over items and weapons to pick them up? Doom is fast and fun; there's a reason none of that "realistic" stuff is in there.

esselfortium said:
[BI'm guessing by "floating gun" you mean running over items and weapons to pick them up?[/B]

I think he means the gun in the lower-right corner of the screen, which has been in almost all FPSs since at least Quake 2.

@Tsareppsun: I'm guessing you have these same problems with: Halo, Quake, Doom 2 (that's still not nearly as realistic as even Doom 3), Unreal, etc. Science-fiction first person shooters, such as Doom and Quake, never have to be completely realistic when it comes to the game's interface. "Oh my god! I will never play this game ever again, since it has the gun at the botton of the screen!"

Also, if they do as you say and copy Rainbow Six: Vegas, how popular do you think that'll be? I mean, I heard people complaining that Quake 4 was a complete, direct rip-off of Halo. Imagine the people complaining about that, lol.

Anywho, the game engine itself is already done, so those are moot suggestions.