Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Ever get sick of Doom?

Some of my best threads were made on Newdoom.com, but the community there is kinda small and figured this would be a better area for discussion. Sorry to anyone here that's from Newdoom.com and have to see a thread they've seen before.

Copied and pasted from Newdoom forums:

A buddy of mine asked me a few days ago. "Will you ever quit doom" and I said "I dont knwo, probably not". Since then I had been thinking about it over and over. Ive been wondering if the Doom community will EVER die. Like certainly there will be a point where the community will deteriorate away, when that is, I dont know, I doubt its anytime soon. But I'm just wondering whether or not our offspring (assuming we all get some) will be interested in doom, and love it as much as we do.

I also wonder to myself, If there will be a point where I do get sick of opening another door and killing all the imps and cacodemons inside, or going up an elevator and dodging all those revenant rockets. I haven't tended to notice any symptoms of boredom yet. I know theres doomers way older than I am, even though we've most likely been playing doom for the same amount of time.

Basically my question is, is do you honestly ever see yourself getting sick of doom? I think doom is in my blood and I may never become satisfied until I play every single map01 in every single wad thats scattered all over the net. Whether it be painful or an enjoyable experience, I feel like it's an essential part of my day to kill at least one imp. and fire at least one SSG shot, and find at least one skullkey. And it must almost always be in a different environement. I can get sick of playing doom2.wad in 10 seconds, but knowing that I can play doom in trillions of maps and rooms and sectors I had never experienced myself makes me ache for more. It's like a game that has no ending. But it's so good you cant quit. I personally think doom is an addiction that I will never blow over. But I am pretty damn sure I dont want to cure it either.

What do you think? Are you like me? a die hard doomer that wont quit until you get to the end of every single map in the net?

I'm not so sure whether I'm the hardcore doomer in terms you use to describe yourself. I like to play it, whether it be as a single player or online in whatever form.

Do I get that sort-of feel like an itch being tended to when I fire a shotgun in the game? Uhh, yeah. I even play it on the subway (which is ridiculously crowded here), on my phone (plays worse than snakes 3D, which already plays rather crappy on it). Do I ever get tired of playing DooM? Yes, but sometimes.

That's why I take breaks. I always mean for those breaks to be short, but they sometimes shoot past 2 years (like the last time). I still play it now and again during such a 'break', but not as long and often as when not on a 'break'.

Will the DooM community ever die? In terms of, "not in my lifetime", no. It may fade a bit, where the die-hard DooMers, the never-quit DMers, dito WAD makers, web masters and forum regulars would remain making up the hard core of things, until some mighty important and feature-adding and -improving source port or editor update comes along, or new way to connect and converse online, loads of new generation history-thrillseekers (they do exist, a 15-year old mapmaper whose name has escaped me at the moment, for example) come by to inject some life into it.

Whether chat-programs (made specifically for DooM players or IRC-channels) are filled with people serious in playing DooM and are overflowing so much that people constantly have to scroll up to catch messages directed at them, or occupied by a bunch of AFK people who occasionally say something retarded, I don't think there will be anything of a real DooM community 'death'. But, as I stated before, that's just as long as people who experienced it themselves, are alive.

Some day, you and the guy beside you in the activities room of the 'senile archvile' retirement home will talk about the good ol' days that you used to chase imps and zombies off your lawn, and that will still be the DooM community, being very much (almost) alive.

Doom is a bit of a passive thing for me. Much like how I'll move my fingers instinctively like piano fingerings when I hear a song that I know the melody to. Doom is THE base for which everything FPS is built, I don't really consider it a game as much as something I've grown endlessly accustomed to, even when I don't play it for great periods of time. I can pick up Doom any day of the year and it's just as natural as though I picked it up yesterday.

Albeit, that's for the person. As far as a community, Doom will fade into novelty much like Space Invaders or Pong. It will be known, it will be played, but as some may say it is even now it will be more of a nostalgic pleasure than a true computer game. It's the fate of almost all great games, they will be endlessly playable, but soon Doom, much like pong or space invaders were on cell phones, will be the built in game for our new Telewatches and holographic pinky-rings that we will all undoubtedly have in years to come.

However, Doom will certainly live on with me. As something that brought me a lot of joy and still does.

I do get sick of doom. But i can binge on it too. It just comes and goes. Many other games can't match the variety of doom imo. Its really easy to pick up again and start playing maps you've never seen before.
I like to think that doom won't die. Whether that is true or not we'll see eventually. But it is likely it will drastically change before that happens.
The concept of doom as a novelty may end up being its hand to being immortalized. As long as ID survives and this community, to an extent, then doom will likely be around as well. You can download from xbox live and play it on your 360. Doom won't be gone for awhile if that is the case.

Yeah, no shit.
If Doom is available today on systems like the 360, then it's pretty much here to stay.

As for getting sick of Doom, it's an endless cycle I go through. Right now, I'm nearing the end of my "sick of it" phase and starting to pick things back up again. In the past, looking at the dates of some of my wads, it seems that I had phases where I mapped alot (releasing multiple wads at once), mapped a bit (a map once per couple months), and finally, gaps upwards of years where I didn't do anything. Same goes for actually playing the game. According to my research, I am beginning cycle #4. :)

I need to make my own wads and mods related to Doom, before I ask myself if I got sick of Doom.

Doom actually gives me motion sickness if I play longer than 10 minutes, so I play it only a few times a year. Somewhat more if I fall into an editing mood.

Despite that, I started playing Eternal Doom. It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a mapset.

leileilol said:

Doom gets sick of me though. Can't help it :(

Doomworld gets sick of you cheapy, can't help it

I figure that after almost 15 years of playing it almost daily in one form or another, I'm pretty much going to stick with it.

As for kids... Well this pic was taken a few years ago of my two...

;)

Oh wow, I don't think I'd be able to use the mouse properly with my left hand like your son.

But it sure is nice to see kids playing DOOM these days. Don't forget to show them Duke Nukem too. ;> (But don't get overconfident and let them play Blood :P)

Now and then, i find new maps and things to do though. Recently i used a modified EDGE jetpack with 999999 duration, no clipping, Turbo 255, a modified weapon that makes a huge flash and does 1000 explosive damage points and thespir2.wad to try "bombing" the monsters.
Start off, go to noclipping, fly right to the top of the map, face downwards with the mouse (you can't look directly downwards, only at a bit of an angle), and the press backwards 'against the ceiling' to move slowly across the map, repeatedly pressing fire to drop lines of 'bombs' at the hordes below (all the dynamic lights cause rather a lot of lag, but it's fun). The bombs are faster than rockets but still take a good 10 seconds to reach the ground, then enjoy the flashes of light moving along the level just like footage of the Blitz. Once all the shooting upwards at you stops, descend to ground level and admire the destruction.
I might make a level specifically designed for "bombing runs" one day, with hills, valleys, rivers and 3dfloor basic "towns" packed with imps and things. Of course the 'bombing' code with an everlasting jetpack and overpowered missiles will be a seperate wad so you can also battle through the hordes at ground level too if you want.

DooM has evolved for me:

1. Spring 1994 - played Episodes 1 through 3 for the first time, and was *blown* away. That summer I played through Episode 3, and the summer heat contributed to the hellish feeling of the episode.
    2. Summer & Fall 1994 - I pre-order DooM2 (from EFx Games, I think it was) and pick it up the first day it was released. Once again, I was blown away. The same with Heretic.
    3. 1995 - I am absolutely fascinated by all that is DooM. I began to visualize a Virtual Reality game based on DooM; I wrote and recorded a couple of songs - one relevant to DooM and the other to DooM2, both in a somewhat heavy metal style.
    4. 1995 - I discover the joys of add-on wads. Endless, row-upon-row of wads that extend the experience. And then there was Dark Forces. Wow!
    5. 1996 - I attend a computer hardware and software expo, and find a Star Wars conversion for DooM. I buy it for 10 bucks, even though the wad was released for free, and the company selling it to me merely re-packaged the wad into four 1.44 MB floppy disks. In the same year I buy and play Hexen. The same with Duke3D. They truly blow me away.
    6. 1997 - I buy and play Blood. It is a chilling experience, quite unlike anything offered in FPS games till that point.
    7. 1999 - I play an excellent TC by Ian Wilson called Herian2. This inspires me to try my hand at mapping. With Ian's help I release my first wad - a 3-map set named Quo Vadis.
    8. 1999-2008: I've never looked back. Although I spend far more of my spare time mapping for DooM instead of playing it, I often try out mods that are innovative, sometimes just to get ideas for my own work.
What does the future hold? I can't say, but for now I am involved in 3 personal projects and 1 team project. I continue to learn and be fascinated by the new things that can be done with DooM. I suppose that as long as I keep getting fired up by new ways to do things I will continue to be interested in DooM.

Enjay said:

I figure that after almost 15 years of playing it almost daily in one form or another, I'm pretty much going to stick with it.

As for kids... Well this pic was taken a few years ago of my two...

Awesome co-op image

;)

Sorry for this, but after seeing your post, I couldn't help myself.

I have no kids of my own to pass the bug onto, so I seek to find different ways...

As others have said, I too have phases of where I don't like Doom and where I do.

There is a pretty extensive description of my Doom history in another thread somewhere on these forums (it's been locked, so it's pretty easy to notice which thread it is), so if you want to learn more read there. Otherwise I'll just say I've been playing/editing for Doom non stop (3-4 times a week at least) for the past 3-4 years.

I think I would have gotten sick of Doom were there not the endless amounts of wads to test my mettle. I play the original levels maybe twice a year.

I'm 18 right now. I started playing doom back in '96.. I played really steadily for about 3 years..

I didn't start playing consistently again until 2003.

Found Doom Connector that year..

That was my first real online experience with any community at all..

Everybody on my AIM buddy list, everybody I talk to online... they either originated from the Doom Community, or were introduced to me by somebody from the Doom Community... and even some of those people I have played Doom with recently...

I just recently got a GeForce 8800GT so I could play Gears of War and Oblivion smoothly... but still I play that sweet software-rendered beauty that is doom (well GL if gzdoom but whatever).

Doom is the most important game I have. And I'll never stop playing it.
I can see myself playing it 10 years from now.

RazTK said:

Oh wow, I don't think I'd be able to use the mouse properly with my left hand like your son.

Funny thing is, he's not left handed. I am and he was on my computer. However, most of my family are reasonably adept at left hand mouse using because they've all used my machine at some point. Equally, although I would have difficulty gaming right handed (mainly because of lack of practice), I'm OK with everything else so I don't bother reversing the ones at work. It seems to be pretty easy to change, once your used to it, provided the left handed mouse has also had the buttons reversed. That way the whole thing is a mirror image which seems to be easier than swapping hands but not reversing the buttons.

scorpion said:

Sorry for this, but after seeing your post, I couldn't help myself.
[picture]
I have no kids of my own to pass the bug onto, so I seek to find different ways...

Heh, that reminds me of one of my first teaching posts back in '94 where I would set up LAN games of Vanilla Doom and "force" the kids to DM in my earliest levels. :)

I think I will always keep an interest in classic doom it was the second fps game I ever played after wof3d and when I first played it at an friends house I was hooked the stuff I got to see totally blew me away wolf3d was nothing more than wandering through labyrints and open door after door but doom did so much more.

And mapping for doom sure is good fun I like to use my creative part of my brain so I think I will keep an interest in doom for an long period if I had never learned mapping for doom I would probably be less interested in doom.

I never really cared for doom 3 or doom 64 though but classic doom is special to me.

Still play it every day since it came out. It sorta gets in your blood.

Hard to say if I will ever stop but it won't be on the near term horizon.

Quite simply, nope! Though you never can re-live the experiance of playing through the original wads for the first time again, Doom just has a charm to it that makes it so much fun to play over and over, even though you're going through the same levels fighting the same monsters. There's just something about it that makes blasting imps with a shotgun so much fun. More modern single player first person shooters lack the charm to their gameplay, and although they can be fun a couple of times their gimmick just starts to wear off.

In addition, Doom as multiplayer, which allows for a unique experiance every time. Not to mention the fact that being a PC game there's plenty of room for custom maps and wads, so the only limit is really your imagination and the imagination of fellow Doomers. I can't see the game ever getting boring - I still love it today as much as I have since it first came out.

In contrast to what troublewithcherubs said, I think what plays a HUGE role in keeping me interested in doom, is what with not being able to relive the 'first experience' with the original IWADS, there's still a million of wads that I have yet to have first experiences with. I think that has something to do with why I only play through megawads once, then give my opinion solely on that first experience.

And props to Enjay, as I plan to host coop parties with my kids in the future.

Enjay said:

Heh, that reminds me of one of my first teaching posts back in '94 where I would set up LAN games of Vanilla Doom and "force" the kids to DM in my earliest levels. :)

You are my number 1 Biology teacher in EXISTENCE. Just the other day I got talking to my Statistics teacher about Pantera (because he "confiscated" my iPod, but instead he just put it on the speakers and put Pantera on :P). It was a good Statistics lesson to say the least, but talking to one of the teachers about Doom or their mapping habits/skills/tips would usher me in a state of epiphany.

Not really so much as get sick of it, but I do take breaks, usually long ones too. Most of the time its because I pick up an interest in something else, weather its another game or activity, or just too busy involved with college, friends, etc.

I dont ever uninstall it from the computer though ; )

I took a Doom hiatus for a while, but now I've been going back to playing the game excessively -- just finished Ultimate Doom and am now going through Doom 2 :)