Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bovine-Intervention

I need help with WinDEU...

I'm going through the WinDEU tutorial and I've made my first map but when I try and run it it just gives me an illegal operation and Doom II crashes.

How do I run this shitty map that I made?

Firstly, ignore the tutorial, it never helped me one bit.
Second, make sure you've run all the checks, all the sectors are closed, you haven't put any impossible height differences or anything dumb like that in. Esp. make sure there aren't any missing textures. Verify all the linedefs. Have you remembered player start (I know it sounds insulting but never rule out the obvious!)?
If there is a .bak file of your wad in the directory, delete it, they're evil.

If you still have a problem after fucking around, tell me what the error message says.
If it says memory referenced at fffff or something like that, tell me. If it's just a page fault, also tell me. If its a general protection fault, tell me, you get the picture.

right, an fffff type message normally happens when the game is looking for tclass or other kind of info that is not there usually. Like, if you are playing a pwad called, say, Ebola.wad, and you save it, and then you play another wad, but you try to open that Ebola savegame, then Doom will crash because you're calling on data that isn't there basically.
But that has me a bit puzzled because if you've just made a regular map that shouldn't really happen from the start... are you using a version of Doom which supports all the textures etc. that you've used in your map?
You must tell me if you've pissed around with graphics, that would explain a great many things.

Whoa, I've just read your next question. You have given your linedefs textures, right? And ceiling height is pretty elementary stuff...

To change textures, double-click on a line-def. To change sectors, go in to Sector mode and double-click on a sector, I think. I haven't used WinDEU for ages...

Doom will never work if your textures are fucked. I'm assuming you're an editing newbie, right?

AHHH, U usin my FAVORITE MAP editor!!! O_O Well, one tell me which version of the WinDEU are u using. If you're using the 5.9 version, ferget it..its messed up. I suggest you get the 5.24 one. Its old, and it missin a lot of neat features but its vey stable, easy to use, easy to learn, etc.

Two, Check if you have the 1st Player start location put into your map. That causes a lot of problems. Or if you have WinTEX, open the wad, goto the Map section, and see if the map look "RIGHT", sometimes when you safe a pwad too many times it turns into a bunch of messed up lines. Or you can send me the wad and i'll see wut i can do to fix it and send it back to ya.

E-mail: Ezxariarch@hotmail.com

If you got DeHackEd questions too, i'd be happy to help u ^_^

PS. remember, Use the WinDEU 5.24 version, old but better!

Come to think of it, I only have Doom II so I'm probably just using some Doom textures by mistake.

That would just give you a " NOT FOUND" error. A stack dump like you got is a problem with actual data/structure.

I just textured all 4 line-defs on my map, I made sure I textured the top, middle and bottom and both line defs in each sector(does all that sound right?) but it's still giving me a fffff error.

I just textured all 4 line-defs on my map, I made sure I textured the top, middle and bottom and both line defs in each sector(does all that sound right?) but it's still giving me a fffff error.

OK, this is strange. I presume you've just made a rectangle room to start off with, yeah? That was wise...
1)Is the rectangle defined as a sector? If the linedefs aren't joined up, then it isn't a sector, and Doom will crash. Go into vertices and merge them. It will ask you if you want to join linedefs etc. Click yes.
2)Player 1 starting point.
3)You only need a normal texture for the linedefs if it's a regular cuboid room. Don't worry about upper and lower textures. What textures have you chosen?
4)what type of linedefs have you used? Make sure you've used 1-sided, impassable linedefs for the outer wall of your room.
5)Run all the checks available in whichever version of WinDEU you're using. What happens?

I hope this helps, tell me what happens.

first you might want to run the check tools to see what could be wrong.

And you only need to have the middle texture on a one sided linedef.

Anyway if the check tools can't fix it, check this with linedefs that do not connect to other sectors:

First make sure the linedefs face "inwards", so that the little line in the middle of the linedef points to inside the sector. Then choose the line properties, and delete the second sidedef, if there is. Then check the linedef flags and make sure only "impassable" is selected.

Check this with linedefs that connect two sectors:

Select properties, and make sure it has two sidedefs, add them if it doesn't have. Then check that only the "two-sided" flag is set.

Select the sector mode, and see if the sectors look right. That is, when you have your mouse inside a closed area (sector), you can see that only the linedefs that close the area are highlighted, and that there are no holes.

If there are holes, check the number or the sector selected, then select the linedef that is not connected, see which sidedef points to the sector (if the little line in the middle points towards the sector, it's the first sidedef you need to fix), and reference that sidedef to the sector.

Hope that made some sense. And if you still have problems you could email the map to me (or to Ezxariarch) to be fixed.

first you might want to run the check tools to see what could be wrong.

And you only need to have the middle texture on a one sided linedef...

Is there an echo in here? :)

Did you put a player 1 start thing somewhere in your map?

Didja?

Just right-click on a sector and select "floor/ceiling" tab, and choose yer textures. Of course if the sector references are all messed up it's possible that the sector can't be selected.

Tho I don't think it's even possible to not have a ceiling/floor texture at all, I thought the level would not load if there were none.

You probably have two sided linedefs where they shouldn't be, causing all the HOM.

You really should load up some Doom 2 level to see how things should be done.

Red wall as far as I remember means there's a wall that doesn't have a special and is not tagged to a sector, but still has a tag number.

If your level is just a rectanle so far, it might be less work to scrap it and start over again. :)

basically, when I started with editing, it was a long, tiring process of trial and error. No one has ever really taught it to my satisfaction.
The looking at a Doom2 level to see how it's done is a very good idea.
You'll get there. I look forward to seeing your total conversion (TC) for Doom2 in /newstuff chronicles in about 6 months time... :)

For starting out, nothing beats the shareware editors for beginner documentation on how to make a level.

Download DoomCad, DeePsea or WadAuthor and review their help on how to create levels. Terminology, typical mistakes and "how to" get covered differently by each. So depending on your left or right brain, one should make sense.

This will give you a good basic understanding or concepts to use in whatever editor you end with:)