Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csonicgo

Bryan High School Doom 2

I have been searching high and low for this wad for years and have finally obtained a copy of it. I found Mic Games in a usenet post, did some sleuthing and found out the names of the students due to some trial and error (the fact that I remember their initials TW and AC) and looked at who had those initials. and Lo and Behold, it was Tom Wood and Anthony Castaneda. I look up one of these guys, and Anthony just so happens to be a social worker. I contacted him and got the WAD. There's only one problem: There's no text file. he said he had lost the original DOOM WAD and the DOOM2 version was all that he had. So here I present to you, the BRYAN HIGH SCHOOL DOOM! woo.

Note that this mapset hasn't aged well at all. in fact, it's shit, but I liked it due to the fact that doom could render such distances and spaces so well, and map01 always stunned me. map01 and map09 are the shining stars in the wad, the rest are weird layouts of Bryan high school that are pretty easy to beat. Map01 is easy to speedrun, too. not much replay value here, just posting it for nostalgia.

http://www.2shared.com/file/2758875/9d1e8ad9/BHS_DM2.html

If anyone, ANYONE, can tidy this up and make a textfile for it, and upload it to the archives, I'd be really grateful. I don't want to LOSE THIS AGAIN.

leileilol said:

Beavis & Butthead sounds, no wonder it's not in idgames/.

yeah I know, B&B was popular then though so you can see why it would be in there. I suppose this was the authors' jabs at pop-culture. that and the chaingunner going "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-bam!" was funny to me at that time. Sounds were hard to come by then! :(

There is also Aladdin sounds in there, Beauty and the beast sounds (BFG) and star trek teleporter sounds. and some really weird door sounds, I can't ID those.

leileilol said:

Doors are alien doors

that's the weirdest DSCYBDTH i've ever, EVER heard.

ahhaha yeah it is a bit messed up. it's the first verse of Bryan high school's alma mater, sung horribly. then an assortment of doom sounds.

I once played a wad where the cyberdemon death sound merged into the first few bars of the theme tune to Star Trek TNG. And i really ought to finish cleaning up my old "skewl" wad. The school it's based on doesnt even look like it any more it's been that long

Heh, interesting wad. Very 1994ish (yes, I know it says it's from 1995). The secret/unmarked doors were a pain, and after a while all the maps sort of felt like the same thing. :p

Coold00d said:

mixing doom and a high school is truly sick

it's truly illin' man. It's 100% phat, tricked-out-to-da-max cool, man.

Try Deathmatch on map01 and see what it was really made for. :)

Essel: the doom version was made in 1994, while the doom2 version was made in 1995. Looks like they just added new monsters and rereleased it.

Reckoner said:

What about mixing Doom and a college? I thought The Unholy Trinity was pretty neat.

Both The Unholy Trinity and Bryan High School DOOM2 are included on the CD which came packaged with the book The DOOM Construction Kit by Joseph Bell.

I cherish both of those old WADs equally.

Csonicgo said:
map01 and map09 are the shining stars in the wad, the rest are weird layouts of Bryan high school that are pretty easy to beat. Map01 is easy to speedrun, too. not much replay value here, just posting it for nostalgia.

Map01 seems weird with the slime as the field's flat, though Map09 does have a bit more gameplay than the rest, but it seems to just be a more generic level and loses the spacious character the other maps have. The double staircase in Map05 seems somewhat neat, and also the combination of the other huge staircase and the scale. Both give 3Dish impressions. The latter because with the scale you lose the sense of where the rooms end and the big room to the left of the stairs seems at first glance to be under the hall atop it.

Stripped of the sounds this could be uploaded, I think, especially if Anthony is okay with it. It would be necessary to include the date stamp of the original in the text file, once it's edited, for reference.

Sorry for the insane necrobump, but I have regenerated the text file to this, and will be releasing it soon. There is one problem - it still has the copyrighted content in it. TheGreenHerring created an "/idgames-safe" version, if he still has it around. It's not really fun without the silly sounds, however!

But here is the major problem with this:

I have also been looking high and low for the original DOOM version, but so far, no luck. The primary reason these wads are "lost" is because two assholes that played doom decided to kill some people at school, with agenda-pushers salivating at the thought of finally controlling the right to free speech and expression, so the authors panicked and took it down from their site:

I have removed BHS Doom.

Bryan High Doom was completed during the Spring of 1995. It has been removed from this site due to recent events.

I authored the levels to increase my knowledge of computers and programming. The popularity of DOOM made it an ideal project to experiment with, and the school based environment was chosen because it was easy to put into the game in the amount of time I wanted to spend on the project.

The fact that he had to "excuse" himself from acting on the thought of putting his high school in a doom level shows how much the media and the related agenda-pushers scared the daylights out of doomers, mappers, even gamers in general. Now, because of that, none of this mapper's work remains online.

He's probably not the only one that has pulled levels from the internet or left the doom community due to the actions of cowards.

I'm at an impasse here. I can a) find the authors and risk getting shot down, b) upload it and risk the authors finding out. However, there is this in the original text file:

---------like, distribute this to everyone without modifications, or something--------

So I'm going to go with that.

188DarkRevived said:

Both The Unholy Trinity and Bryan High School DOOM2 are included on the CD which came packaged with the book The DOOM Construction Kit by Joseph Bell.

I cherish both of those old WADs equally.

I just downloaded the original CD binary and searched the directory tree and didn't find either. The poster mentions a CD, so maybe it IS archived on a CD-ROM somewhere, one that hasn't been archived yet.

Csonicgo, the original link is dead, you may want to put that on mega.nz or mediafire.com for the time being as I'd like to see how the map plays as well. The added sounds, were a stupid addition to the map to begin with based on prior posts.

That may be, but it's still against the original terms, so I'm not sure what to do. The only way to really preserve it is to keep it on a reliable server somwhere. Too bad a lot of wad uploading sites die every time the wind changes direction.

Send it to Doom Wad Station, and maybe that DSDA site.

Also, archive.org, and if it came from a BBS you can send it to cd.textfiles.com. It's important that you don't modify the wad if you sent it to these places though. Or at least include the original.

Well, thanks to a gracious soul, there is a "solid" location for this file. I'm hoping to have it mirrored in other places a little more reliable, but for now, here we go.

Download

hex11 said:

Send it to Doom Wad Station, and maybe that DSDA site.

Also, archive.org, and if it came from a BBS you can send it to cd.textfiles.com. It's important that you don't modify the wad if you sent it to these places though. Or at least include the original.

There is also the Wad Archive (he/she/them has an account in here with the same name).

EDIT: Thanks for the new download, I was also looking for it.

Removing the dubious sound effect replacements is the first thing to do if to get it on /idgames/, there's an RSKY2 graphic but no levels that replace that so I changed it to RSKY1, also an M_SKULL1 but no M_SKULL2 graphic, plus a W_EPI3 and other lumps which mean these are leftovers from a Doom1 conversion.

If you want to use this version (or already did lump culling/editing), use this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mdkbxm4c72ocb1o/BHS_DM2f.zip

Sounds were removed, some redundant graphics removed, other graphic names renamed (level names) and nodes were rebuilt.

EDIT: Some issues were fixed in MAP02 (unclosed sector, stuck monsters) in the updated ZIP above, plus an optional music set in a separate WAD.

Zed said:

There is also the Wad Archive (he/she/them has an account in here with the same name).

EDIT: Thanks for the new download, I was also looking for it.

The text file is as concise as it'll ever be (the original is lost to the sands of time), thankfully it was easy to recreate as they pasted it into the website where it was originally hosted.

Don't rename RSKY2, I found out that was for the stadium level. And I don't think the wayback archive link works anymore, Wayback doesn't seem to tell me it exists

These levels definitely play like a 1995-1996 set and can be completed pretty quickly.