Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkPandaX

Issues with linedefs

Hello, I have been editing DooM levels for a while now, and I find it engrossing and fun. Recently I have been working on larger-scale projects, since my mapping skills have been steadily improving.

However, just today I encountered a problem I am not familiar with, and I could not find any information on the web that is anything like this. There is one problem that is SIMILAR, where peoples .wad file becomes corrupted and when they open it in the editor, all the linedefs are a jumble, as if they've been crumpled up and tossed aside.

The problem I have encountered is this: after saving my map, building nodes and so forth, I went to test what I had so far in Doomsday. My first few rooms were okay, but when I walked through a door to another room, everything was a mess. I looked at my map and found that all my linedefs were everywhere like in the aforementioned problem. When I checked it in my editors, the map looked fine and neither found any errors. I am at a loss as to what the problem could be.

I use a team effort of Doom Builder and XWE (not the beta). Any idea? Is this a common problem, and I simply did not look hard enough? Or what?

Thanks in advance,
DarkPandaX

You could try testing your wad in another port. If it dosn't work in zdoom, then something is horrably stuffed up.

Edward850 said:

You could try testing your wad in another port. If it dosn't work in zdoom, then something is horrably stuffed up.

Well, I tried it in Doom Legacy. After I went into my wad with XWE and edited my textures so that the waterfall animation I yanked from Plutonia would work, I tried it and everything was fine. So, I went back with Doomsday, and it was fine too. It was fine, I was fine, we're all fine. Thank you. How are you?

Anyway, I'm still not sure what happened. Is it possible that a messed-up texture order caused that? I doubt it, but... what if?

DarkPandaX said:

Is it possible that a messed-up texture order caused that? I doubt it, but... what if?

Changing your TEXTUREx entries would not cause the problem you describe. It sounds as if your node-building went hay-wire. Try building your nodes again with a different editor (or an external node-builder such as zdbsp).

DarkPandaX said:

... I looked at my map and found that all my linedefs were everywhere like in the aforementioned problem...

From time to time I have that problem when I save a level with DOOMBUILDER. And usually it can be traced to missing lumps.

For example, this happened to MAP10 of ED4-RTO, where the linedefs are a veritable jumble, when viewed with XWE. Luckily, these missing lumps are not fatal to the level.

Some editors will simply rebuild nodes automatically to correct this, good editors will tell you that there is a problem.