Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Which do you prefer -- Doom or Doom II?

So, which of the two games do you guys prefer? The Ultimate Doom (or original 3-episode Doom if that's what you're running) or Doom II?

I find that the Ultimate Doom is a lot more replayable and has more interesting level design, and it's just a lot more fun to play.

I prefer the Ultimate Doom. But only Episodes 1 to 3. 4 is just too hard. I'd take Doom II's Map29, Map 07, Map04, etc, over Episode 4 anyday.

I think the original Doom and Ultimate Doom had better maps than Doom II, but Doom II had a better monster selection for use in custom maps. Yes, a lot of people can be annoyed by Doom II's monsters when they're not used properly, but the availability of mid-level enemies like the Hell-Knights and Chaingunners, along with the introduction of some more tougher enemies (again, when used appropriately), offers some better game-play opportunities.

Captain Red said:

Doom 1 because it actually had a go at having some ambiance.

That's one of the reasons why I really liked Doom 64, but I think the first Doom's gameplay is what really puts it ahead of Doom II; the ambience and atmosphere is just a bonus.

I don't really take them as separate games, so I just like them both as parts of the same thing. DOOM II is basically episodes 4-6 of DOOM.

There are more thing types in the last 3 episodes, but then again, there are similarly more thing types in episodes 2-3 than in the 1st. That increase in juiciness makes progress through the game more interesting in general.

I tend to judge level design more by author rather than by episode or game. Thus overall DOOM and DOOM II have about equal quality, with DOOM II having a more refined challenge on its side, as Romero and Petersen did get a bit more demanding as they got more experienced.

For DeathMatch, DOOM II is definitely more intense, but again, I don't mind some matches in DOOM levels once in a while.

It's true that the first episode has the most concentrated mood or ambience, but part of that charm in my case also has to do with it being the first part I played (and the 1st FPS game as I wasn't familiar with Wolfenstein 3D yet). But after that, the individual levels may vary in that respect, but either game has its share of more (or less) moody levels.

Ultimate/Doom please.
I really got into Ultimate Doom's four episodes. It was awesome..

Doom 2 I'm struggling to get into. The maps are so confusing. <D>'

With the games by themselves, The Ultimate Doom, though I usually only play Episode 1. Otherwise, Doom 2, since it has the larger and better collection of wads.

For the challenges -- Doom 2.

For the episode progression -- Doom 1.

Doom 2 has many cool monsters, like Archvile or Revenant, that Doom 1 hasn't. You'll hardly know the tensions of guided missiles and GETTING-OUT-OF-SIGHT if you don't play Doom 2 enough.

Doom 1 can have better megawads than Doom 2 -- there are more levels, twice more secret levels, arranged regularly, and better endings -- no Spitters, but 1-shot-kill Cyberdemons or health-dropping Spiderdemons. Also there's more Dehacked potential if vanilla Doom is used -- there are the free missile and monster frames from Doom 2.

I find Doom 1 and Doom 2 to be different games. Doom 1 is more traditional, similar to Wolfenstein 3d in weapons and monsters, whereas Doom 2 gives more firepower (super shotgun) against more aggressive and healthier enemies.

Doom 1 has "episode 4: thy flesh consumed" as expansion, while Doom 2 has "the master levels" and "final Doom".

I agree with printz. Whenever I play Ultimate Doom I find myself wishing for the SSG. Killing demons, hell knights, barons of hell and cacodemons is a real pain without it. Aside from that though I rank them pretty equally.

Hmmmmmn....

icecreamsoldier said:

hell knights

Thats a Doom 2 monster.

Other then that, I'd play Doom 2 over Doom 1 unless Doom 1 gets more KDIZD based stuff... Wonder when SoZD will be unleashed.

BJ Blazkowicz said:

He probably meant Baron of Hell.

He already said that in his post, see? >_>

icecreamsoldier said:

I agree with printz. Whenever I play Ultimate Doom I find myself wishing for the SSG. Killing demons, hell knights, barons of hell and cacodemons is a real pain without it. Aside from that though I rank them pretty equally.

I pick Doom 1 because I like the level design better. I don't miss the super shotgun because it's overkill without revenants and mancubi to use it on.

I think it's pretty agreeable that Doom 1 had the best maps, and Doom 2 had better monsters and a better weapon, and shitty maps to play them in. Undoubtedly Episode 1 is the best Doom mapset in the world.

I definitely think DOOM episode 1 was the best set of maps ever created for DOOM, but, and I know I might sound weird, does anyone else here agree with me that inferno was, well, not all that great? Shores was awesome and Thy Flesh Consumed was good, too, but Inferno was just...I don't know.

Intel17 said:
I definitely think DOOM episode 1 was the best set of maps ever created for DOOM

While I love the levels, I'd say this is a pretty nostalgic statement, given the many awesome levels the community has produced. They're probably the most memorable and imitated, but I'd say "best" is too much of an assumption. It's also what gets people to say "oh, certainly DOOM has better level design" (see below).

but Inferno was just...I don't know.

Perhaps it seems the most rushed overall, as it contains less from Tom Hall (that was usually neater in his constructions than Petersen) and more extensive retexturing (E3M3 was totally "converted" to hellish from UAC style), and may have taken a bit less testing, as the with the Invulnerability and the BFG available available the levels can get rather easy, especially to today's players, who tend to have good movement skills. Its design direction is still much like E2's, though. I'd say that in DOOM E2-3 were handled almost exclusively by Petersen, and E1 by Romero. DOOM II feels a bit different, and there may have been some more feedback or testing on many levels, regardless of who made them. This probably because it was necessary to ensure a reasonable progression for the whole thing, because all the levels belonged to the same set, and also more level designers were involved (4 instead of 2).

JohnnyRancid said:
I think it's pretty agreeable that Doom 1 had the best maps,

Some people have their own opinion rather than shield themselves in apparent "agreements" which in the end do not seem to exist except among some specific individuals for particular reasons.

printz said:
I find Doom 1 and Doom 2 to be different games.

One thing that seems evident is that in DOOM II they dared to make more massive levels using large open spaces more freely (in general giving it a less maze-like feel), rare in DOOM, except in E3M6 to a degree. That people had (or would have) more capable computers should have helped them do that.

Allow me to reply with a short and simple answer: I like Doom for its nostalgic properties and level design, I like Doom 2 for the added monsters and the Super Shotgun.

I prefer both games for their different things. :P
I can't pick which one I like most. However I would say Doom 2 feels more rushed compared to Ultimate Doom / Doom 1.
I like Ultimate Doom for the atsmosfear (specialy episode 1-2). Episode 4 did also in Ultimate Doom add a nice taste of harder levels compared to the original game's episodes.
I like Doom 2, because of the new enemies and SSG. But Doom 2 did feel like a killer type of game more than Doom 1, I feel Doom 1 was more an adventure with action. :)
So both games have their share of cool stuff.

This is though but for me it boils down to this:

1. Doom1 is great for its atmosphere and nostolgia. I played this way before I even knew about Doom 2. Really, theres nothing quite like it; very fun despite that its not very difficult (Excluding E4's first two maps).

2. I like Doom2 for the added features: New weapon, new artifact, more monsters, and more levels. Playing through takes more effort this time around. Didn't find this until a few years after Doom1, so this one isnt AS special, but still holds nostolgia.

scorpion said:

I like Doom for its nostalgic properties and level design, I like Doom 2 for the added monsters and the Super Shotgun.

That about sums it up for me as well.

For the game itself DOOM, for mods DOOM II. For multiplayer, whatever, both are a very good.

As far as mapping goes I'd say DooM II but for playing I get more pleasure out of DooM E1 is still and will always be my favourite episode.

I like Ultimate Doom better than Doom II. I love all the doom games but Ultimate doom started it all. ☺ I don't just play doom; I live it just like idsoftware.com said I would. I love the challenges in Ultimate doom and It's challenging but not too hard. I canno't stop playing it and I have beaten that game a million times. Its just so addicting and I can't stop playing it because there are always a level that needs to be replayed! In addition to doom I and doom II, you still are able to make new .wads even if you do get tired of the actual games. I love both games but Ultimate doom started it all.