Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stickguy5000

First Megawad here is a demo

They're not great maps but i've seen worse. I'll leave the error dissection to the mappers.
My main complaint is that it's too short - took less than 5 minutes to reach the switch in map 5. Would have taken longer if I'd tried for 100% kills in map 4.

I don't know how much interest there'd be in a megawad full of small maps. A decent medium-sized map might be better received. Regardless - good luck and keep mapping.

well my plan was to start small then start getting into medium sized maps then just throw in a few huge levels cause i'm not gonna make anymore maps than 16

GreyGhost said:

I don't know how much interest there'd be in a megawad full of small maps. A decent medium-sized map might be better received. Regardless - good luck and keep mapping.

What about wads like this?

Well, I would say you should try to make ONE good level before you should try to make a megawad. These levels look like '94 levels, not that it is bad. I know you don't need details, but think of the texture schemes.
Download wads like alien vendetta, community chest 1-3, etc... to get an idea of what there is fun and good looking. Sorry to say this, but nothing makes me come back and play this, the levels is simply too short and boring looking.

There are texturing problems (textures that don't match, doors about 96 or 112 pixels wide with 128 pixel textures, unmarked doors that aren't "secret" etc), the levels are way too small and far too easy. I got through the whole thing in a couple of minutes (most of that loading between levels), always at 100% health. Don't put so much health and ammo into your levels, and don't bother with invulnerability for just one cyberdemon.

You've certainly got lots of imagination, and you're a fast mapper. I quite like some of the new stuff but the archviles are a bit tough in such a big group. I never put more than two in one place in my wads, as they move fast and you need to be able to get out of their line of sight.
Keep going though, you're only getting better.

icecreamsoldier said:

You've certainly got lots of imagination, and you're a fast mapper. I quite like some of the new stuff but the archviles are a bit tough in such a big group. I never put more than two in one place in my wads, as they move fast and you need to be able to get out of their line of sight.
Keep going though, you're only getting better.

so should i take some of the archviles out for my next release

Right now your WAD is full of a lot of decent concepts. A lot more work will need to go into them to get a reasonable finished product. While short levels aren't bad (Scythe is my all-time favorite WAD), many of these are so short and easy they're nearly pointless. These maps should be lengthened.

The only engaging maps were the arch-vile map and the spiderdemon map. Both are interesting concepts that could be improved upon for future use. As for the Spiderdemon map, I would honestly add some cover or something. While the fight is winnable, it could get fustrating for many people to try and dodge hit-scan weapons in a perfectly square room.

Also, you should strongly consider putting traps into your maps as well as thinking more about enemy positioning as opposed to simply walking through each room and clearing it out. After you think of some other ways to improve gameplay, you should also add some detailing and decoration. Nothing groundbreaking; just something nice to look at while playing. If you have trouble coming up with cool fight, thing positioning, architecture, or detailing then I'd take a look at my favorite WADs and try to incorporate similar features (of course without directly copying.)

Torn said:

What about wads like Scythe?

Nothing wrong with Scythe apart from Map31 :-)
As small map megawads go it would make a great benchmark for stickguy5000 to aim for.
At the other extreme - there are wads like these which I find almost nauseatingly bad!

stickguy5000 said:

so should i take some of the archviles out for my next release

Set the difficulty flags so fewer of them show at easy and medium difficulty.

I guess 6 was my favorite but they were all amateurish and overly easy/short or hard in an annoying way (darkness in 7 or not knowing what the switch did near the viles at first thus causing you to replay the sequence again and again)

GreyGhost said:

Nothing wrong with Scythe apart from Map31 :-)

That is sarcasm, yes?

I didn't like Scythe esp. because of the shortness of its levels (besides map30), and while the general texture work is ok, it looks rather plain, speaking of architecture and details. On the other hand the gameplay aspect is perfectly executed - even if it's, well, short...

Scythe 2 is infinitely better than its prequel (larger levels, very pretty look and the same Scythe kicking ass gameplay), I would rank it #3 behind Eternal Doom and Alien Vendetta.

Naan said:

I didn't like Scythe esp. because of the shortness of its levels (besides map30), and while the general texture work is ok, it looks rather plain, speaking of architecture and details. On the other hand the gameplay aspect is perfectly executed - even if it's, well, short...

Scythe 2 is infinitely better than its prequel (larger levels, very pretty look and the same Scythe kicking ass gameplay), I would rank it #3 behind Eternal Doom and Alien Vendetta.

I really like Scythe's short levels. I mean, sure, sometimes I'm in the mood for some big, epic maps, but other times I like to be able to just run through a quick level, and for that, Scythe is excellent. You are right about it looking plain in some places though, but it really does play well.

Reckoner said:

I really like Scythe's short levels. I mean, sure, sometimes I'm in the mood for some big, epic maps, but other times I like to be able to just run through a quick level, and for that, Scythe is excellent. You are right about it looking plain in some places though, but it really does play well.

I agree that the short levels are perfectly executed. I often like to come home and play a quick map or two to blow of some steam after school/work. That's kind of hard to do when every level takes 1.5 hours to finish. That's for when I have a LOT of free time.