Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Lag

instant raising floors

i've seen this trick used in certain wads (can't think of which right now or i wouldn't be typing this here) where a monster will be in a box below floor level (blablabla) and when the player crosses a line, the monsterbox floor raises instantly to the surrounding floor.
i'm not talking about the typical "fast" speed, i'm talking instant.
i'm trying to have a monster pop up instantly when the player picks up an item for surprise effect, and a "fast" rising floor just isn't fast enough.
the project is for boom, btw.

Hmmmmn....

It depends...
1. You could set the speed of it to 255 which is max and instant.
2. Find a action with "raise/lower" instant.

Unfortunately, #1 may be of best choice if you can mess with speeds. I don't mess with Boom, I mess with ZDoom and ZDoom bases.

o-o

I think you need to use a LOWER floor type with the Highest Neighbouring Floor target, e.g. types 45/83/102/19, and make sure every other floor that touches the moving one is higher than it.

Mithral_Demon said:

I don't mess with Boom, I mess with ZDoom and ZDoom bases.

o-o

Well you're pretty helpful.

The Lag, you can also do the opposite by having floors instantly lower.
This trick involves using a linedef type that raises the sector floor to the nearest adjacent sector ceiling.

The trick behind the instant lowering floor is to make the ceiling of the adjacent sector lower than the floor that you triggered. This results in the floor to instantly lower to the adjacent ceiling.

The types of linedef specials that raises the sector floor to the nearest adjacent sector ceiling are types: 91, 5, 64, 24, and 104.

This may help as well.

For plain old doom2 here is a possible alternate "instant rising floor" that is usable in most all ports.

I have a couple of those instant rising sectors in my map "Blind Alley Q". For a trigger I use walking line type 19, Sector action is LOWER to highest adj floor, for my rising sectors. Since the adjacent floor is actually higher and not lower, it is an "instant" lift out of the floor. Works great!

They just appear right in your face if you use this and the monster pits are near the line type 19.

Yeah.

Final Doom is also a good source on looking up examples for that trick. I am certain Plutonia makes more use of this than TNT..

yeah, i have it down now.
the only other trick i haven't got yet is applying colormaps to sectors.
i've made a pretty complex cavern area with lava and fake under-lava...but i don't yet know exactly how to apply the orange colormap i want for that under-lava area.
i'll figure it out or somebody can post, no problem.