Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Eternus

Halp, Enemies See Me

Well I'm building a map and for some reason enemies see me through walls and shoot through them too.

Most are 2sided...but well I was playing with the graph and now stuff int lined up right, what is the normal grid setting/line setting?

enemies/monsters can shoot thru and see thru two sided walls. Make sure all the blocking walls are only one sided.

The grid setting is what ever you want it to be at any given moment. I usually run mine around 16, 32 or even 64 and at times both larger and smaller. Depends on if you are working on general layout or detail.

Ah fixed, thanks.

Now a new problem arose as the old one was fixed. Now doors act as an invisible wall for guns when playing.

Are the upper textures not on the door?

Are the ceiling and the floor at the same height for the door?

Are the lines flipped to the outsides (front and rear) on the door?

sorry i wasnt clear there...the doors work, but they wont let me shoot through them when I open them.

Look really carefully at the door.

Does it have a redundant line? An extra sector?

Something that is NOT opening when the door opens.

Eternus said:

Nope...and I don't know what happened but it fixed itself.

Rare that that ever happens but cool. Good luck on the rest of your map. Hope to play it one day.

when the StarCraft mod for Doom is released you probably will. I'm working on mapping while my friend does the modding.

Now, another question and I'm pretty much able to do everything quite easily, my modding friend wanted to see one of the maps I made and for some reason when he tried to play it the doors/openings to new sectors screwed up, you have to see it to know what I mean, so...

I think it is because I left out a file, am i right?

Check to be sure that the height of the floor there is the same height as the door when it is closed.

Make sure you have a floor flat on there as well.

Are you missing walls on each side of the door? if so, Make sure you have one sided lines and a middle texture on them.

Eternus said:

when the StarCraft mod for Doom is released you probably will.

I hope that when you release something big like that you have enough mapping experience.

Also, as the 1-sided vs 2-sided linedef attribute is confusing, between being flag or number of sidedefs, here's how: if the linedef has one sidedef (a wall bounding the level from the void), then its 2-sided flag has to be DISABLED. If it has two sidedefs (a step, ledge, threshold, grate), then ENABLE its 2-sided flag.

Tags are different to I.D.#s. You only use a new tag number when you want a LineDef to make a Sector move (as a lift, door or mechanical floor, ceiling, donut or stair), but keep any other tag at zero. I.D.#s are merely to identify each map object (be it thing, linedef, sector...).

Sectors are shaped by sidedefs. Make sure that pointing the mouse anywhere on your map in sector mode, you see closed polygons.

Normally Doombuilder's linedraw command draws sectors and splits or joins them correctly, but there could still be wrong shapes upon sector splitting. It also does bad if you draw a sector over some left-over to-be-deleted residual linedefs (caused by cancelled linedraw, or linedef manual deletion). Check the result and undo if so.

@Searcher: By flats do you mean I have to have a certain floor/ceiling texture on the door? Everything else I can confirm I have correct.

@printz: Yeah...I kinda learned that stuff already...as in on my first day. I understand the basics, this is the last thing for me to learn.

Yes, just make sure you have a flat on the floor and on the ceiling there. Which one is not important, just make sure you have one.

Beyond that, we may need to see the map to look for other possible mistakes. More often than not those kinds of problems are related to height variations that don't match, without textures and/or flats.

Looks like a good start on both those maps. There are a number of issues with both of them however.

The summary:
Map 1 has about 200 sector not closed issues and a host of multiple patches on lines.

Map 2 is better:
about 90 sector not closed errors and a few multiple textures and missing upper texture issues.

All are fixable and would be worth the time to do so.

Most of the sector not closed issues are because there are a ton of outside map borders that are tagged 2 sided that have their second side out in the void. Just delete the second side, they should be impassible, and flip the few that need to be flipped so they face inwards to the map. Should be able to clean most of that up in a couple of hours at most. That is where the bulk of the HOM is coming from.

Also noticed some lines that have the normal (or mid texture) that also had an upper texture that was not needed.

You might also lower unpeg your door tracks, unless that is the look that you are trying for.

The maps look like they will be fun when finished. Keep working on them. :)