Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

How do you play DOOM?

I agree. My argument was kinda lossy, anyway. 'fcourse, on HMP there'll be oddly empty alcoves.

I like vanilla Doom's lower resolution because, as others said, it makes Doom feel more stuffed, so I become more tolerant to poor map detailing -- fewer pixels of mistake, at any time.

Actually, if you want to make best use of all five skill levels, you'd make skill 2 tougher than skill 3, which in turn is tougher than skill 4. That means that skill 1 might remain an interesting challenge, while skill 5 would be relatively manageable.

Thus:
skill 1: "UV", but easier due to double ammo and reduced damage
skill 2: UV (genuinely)
skill 3: HMP
skill 4: NTR
skill 5: "NTR" with double ammo, fast and respawning monsters

You then still have the option of adding -fast and/or -respawn to skills 1-4, so that skill 2 with -fast and -respawn would be similar to traditional NM.

Of course, there would be very little point actually implementing this, since hardly anyone bothers to read the text-files, unfortunately.

Grazza said:

Of course, there would be very little point actually implementing this, since hardly anyone bothers to read the text-files, unfortunately.

They could be renamed, highlighted the easier they get, and of course ranked, so the player knows which is really winner.

More so, lower skill levels could have many fake humans and imps, the middle one would put demons, spectres, cacos, elementals, and the higher ones would mech-demons, barons, of course viles, and why not Ghouls and Ghosts to impress the wanderer. From skill 2 to skill 4, have fewer monsters in the level, so the player can select from being swarmed to being outbattled.

Grazza said:

Actually, if you want to make best use of all five skill levels, you'd make skill 2 tougher than skill 3, which in turn is tougher than skill 4. That means that skill 1 might remain an interesting challenge, while skill 5 would be relatively manageable.

I never thought of doing it that way. That certainly seems like a much better system. If there was a way to reorder their appearance on the menu it would be worth doing, but otherwise, you are right that most people would ignore the text file and, consequently, be confused.

If you were to add new names for the difficulties, (or rearrange the existing ones) as printz suggested, people would notice quite readily.

Grazza said:

I think some would read it, but it seems to me that that sort of setup would be aimed to give any one player more use of all the skill levels. Instead, as they are now, each is mostly aimed at a group of largely different players with a certain skill (from toddlers or people who haven't even played video games to hardcore DOOM players).

Fast and respawn (either or both) can already be used to give each (standard) skill more replayability. Three skills to play with that way seems quite enough already.

BJ Blazkowicz said:
IIRC, -fast is always enabled in skill 5.

Yeah; by that "standard" in parenthesis I meant skills 2, 3, and 4 (the three that affect what things appear).

Nightmare uses fast and respawn, but also makes monsters attack immediately on sight, and doubles ammo picked up.

Hmmmmn...

ZDoom source port (GZDoom at other comps)
Always Ultra-Violence
Everynow and then I go to the Gameplay settings and set "Fast monsters" so I can have a harder challenge against Pinkies and faster Hell Knight/Baron attack (CyberDemon's attack some what left unscathed since it always shoots a volley of 3 rockets everytime)...

Grazza said:

Not completely sure what you're referring to here, but I'd guess that you have a widescreen monitor, which is spreading out the display horizontally. You can change the aspect ratio using the -aspect command-line option to anything you like (OpenGL-only). For instance:

-aspect 9x5

Heh, no.  I mean that the properly corrected aspect ratio looks so much more natural that Doom95 is suddenly a little disorienting (and of course I can't change Doom95 to match).

Maybe it's my imagination, but OpenGL implementations are still a little choppy anyway unless one has a VERY new graphics card.  Bad timing on my part, getting addicted to the wiki before I was wealthy.   :>

Xeriphas1994 said:
Doom95 is suddenly a little disorienting (and of course I can't change Doom95 to match).

Of course you can. Use the Advanced button in the launcher and go to the Screen Resolution tab and set 320x200 or 640x400 (instead of 320x240 or 640x480).

myk said:

Of course you can. Use the Advanced button in the launcher and go to the Screen Resolution tab and set 320x200 or 640x400 (instead of 320x240 or 640x480).

um... yeeeeeeess, I did notice that, thanks, but it made the screen squash into one corner.

My graphics card died recently, however, and I couldn't find the exact same model.  I'll try this again when I put the new one in.

Xeriphas1994 said:
um... yeeeeeeess, I did notice that, thanks, but it made the screen squash into one corner.

In full screen mode? Odd...

myk said:

In full screen mode? Odd...

Heh, no argument there.  My own fault for buying neither a true white box (which would have been a lot cheaper, to compensate me for this kind of crap) nor a name brand (which would have had a proper warranty).

printz said:

The game Star Wars Dark Forces has that as a legit option.

Not really. God mode makes you invulnerable to (almost) everything, whereas the shield in the menu of Dark Forces only protects you from laser-based attacks. You can still die by falling damage, and if you get bitten or hit in melee combat (probably other exceptions as well).

BoldEnglishman said:

Not really. God mode makes you invulnerable to (almost) everything, whereas the shield in the menu of Dark Forces only protects you from laser-based attacks. You can still die by falling damage, and if you get bitten or hit in melee combat (probably other exceptions as well).

Yeah, I know of that, but you're essentially on God mode. Even the boss would be harmless, so there.

I use ZDoom and if i want the classic feel i play Resurection of Evil on my Xbox like it contain Ultimate Doom,Doom II and Master lvl for Doom II

myk said:

It works now, with -emulate.  Thanks myk!

Doom95 was a good choice for my old PII about 10 years ago, the 640x480 screen resolution made a difference comparing to the ancient 320x200, even thou I prefered it at 640x400 just because I was getting annoyed by the 640x480 streching of the title screens. Nowdays I prefer my humble DelphiDoom for IWADs, prboom-plus for Boom levels and gzDoom for ZDoom levels. Since recently I was using Doomsday engine just for it's supreme graphics.

Grazza said:

Thus:
skill 1: "UV", but easier due to double ammo and reduced damage
skill 2: UV (genuinely)
skill 3: HMP
skill 4: NTR
skill 5: "NTR" with double ammo, fast and respawning monsters

You then still have the option of adding -fast and/or -respawn to skills 1-4, so that skill 2 with -fast and -respawn would be similar to traditional NM.

I'd love to play a mod for zdoom that added a 'custom difficulty' that let you set things like fast monsters, amount of monsters, respawns ect. I've love to tackle fast monsters while taking less damage, respawning monsters, with HNTR monster placements ect... I'm sure it can be done (although it'd be a bit beyond my skills)

Well, I owned the original and Doom 2 when they first came out all those years ago, and then round the turn of the millennium, I got a newer computer, and couldn't play under dos.

Around that time though , I was able to get the collector's edition but since that runs on doom 95, that really limited the types of wads I could load. Now I use zdoom though and all those wads are playable again.

As for playing doom, I usually run doom on hurt me plenty or UV if it's an easy map for the latter.

However, If I want to just experience the atmosphere (IE...Eternal or AV), I play on the easiest skill level or with no monsters

Captain Red said:

I've love to tackle fast monsters while taking less damage, respawning monsters, with HNTR monster placements

No special modifications needed for that. Just -skill 1 -fast -respawn

According to the manual - "To start Doom, go to the directory in which you installed Doom, type Doom and press the Enter key." Or am I heading off on a tangent? :-)

ZDoom, software mode, window'd, 800x600, Mouse+Keyboard/WASD.

K!r4 said:

(I set complevel for each wad except Scythe 2 for wich I've only activated the death glide for map25 and keeped the complevel -1 =)

Finally, complevel 9 is perfect :P

Btw I use 640x480 fullscreen, mouse+keyboard and WASD too (E for use), when I'm on a comp with a shitty mouse I play as a keyboarder :D
PS : I think uncapped framerate and secret message aren't so bad in prboom-plus...

-GZDoom/zDoom on 640x360 LB with Doom 3 SFX on straight keyboard...
-Difficulty on UV all the time (even if I can't beat a specific WAD but eventually do...damn DVII).

I haven't gotten around to recording demos yet...might attempt a couple in the near future...but I ain't no speedrun god.