Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Star Trek TC anyone?

Something that has been an idea of mine for quite a while is making a Star Trek total conversion for Doom. When you think about it, it has never really been done. I have several weapon sprites and could collect a fair ammount of sound effects and other resources (but there is a shortage of enemy sprite models) for a possible
TC. But at the present state, it's just an idea which might simply end up as a cheesy weapons mod. But if anyone is intrested in such a project, just say so. I am no level designer, so that would be needed and also somebody who could come up with a good solid story would be needed too. Come to think about it, there hasn't really been a proper Star Wars conversions either (which truly changes the behaviour of weapons, enemies and such to give it a true SW feel).

My e-mail is: c_eejay at hotmail dot com

CeeJay said:

When you think about it, it has never really been done.
Come to think about it, there hasn't really been a proper Star Wars conversions either

You must not have looked very hard. See here and here. Most of those are probably terrible, but ENTERPRISE NX01 and The Darkest Hour are both very good.

Neither of those may be what you had in mind, however, and more ambitious projects would certainly be nice to see.

There's some Quake 3 based Star Trek FPS that you could probably steal a bunch of resources from. That being said captain, a Star Trek Doom mod is highly illogical.

Reckoner: Like i said, there hasn't been any proper Star Wars or Star Trek conversions. Only levels, patches and mostly with minor graphic/sounds/sprite changes. I always thought that The Darkest Hour had some good levels (and some bad), not very Star Wars like but still pretty good. However there was NO WHATSOEVER change to the actual way the weapons and enemies behaved (nor had there been in any previous levels/mods). Their sprites had only been overwritten with new ones. So it was still Doom "maskerating" as a Star Wars game. If you want to see a proper Star Wars patch that i did some time ago for EDGE, just tell me and i'll e-mail it to you (it's not complete though but pretty damn close).

POTGIESSER: I need sprites, not 3D models. What do you mean by "a Star Trek Doom mod is highly illogical."???

I'll bite. And probably play it, too.

What kind of Star Trek TC did you have in mind? I assume with a story. But based on? Original Series? The TNG/DS9/VOY universe? Or the times of the NX program?

Reckoner, I guess I also must not have looked very hard. Thanks for the links. (:

I don't think STTNG and STTOS has enough love

everyone only cares about damn voyager, ds9 and enterprise.

i did start a STTNG tc in '95 but

:( its gone

leileilol said:

I don't think STTNG and STTOS has enough love

everyone only cares about damn voyager, ds9 and enterprise.

Wow, I live in...opposite universe. Where nobody cares about voyager or Enterprise and TNG/TOS are kings, DS9 is in the middle :P

My favourite have always been Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Voyager (and my favourite movie is First Contact). It is during this time period this, possible, TC would be based around. The following are the requirments if this is going to get anywhere:

* Levels (at the very least 10)
* Good story (prefably involving familiar characters and locations)
* 8 - 10 diffrent weapons (and not just diffrent types of phasers)
* A good ammount of enemy characters added

If i get all those, then the project will lift off.

Good choice, IMO. The phaser should be well doable in some source ports (having a constant 'line' between the person shooting and the target; something like the railgun, but stays longer). Aside from some 'Starfleet issue' weaponry, there's an infinite amount of options, any weapon can belong to any race.

As for the story, please no overkill on Borg appearances. It's been done, and then done again, and then done a few times too many. Klingons and Romulans, even though they've appeared numerous times in Star Trek based FPS games, would be nice to battle against.

Me personally, I've always been a sucker for time travel plots. Even I think it was done too much and thus part of the end of the Enterprise series, but it's just a suggestion I'd like to make, if you're starting to think of a story.

Haha! I've always been a sucker for time travel plots myself, with plenty paradoxes. But i always found there was too much of it in the Voyager series (it made everything awfully confusing in the end). I am, as such, also a big fan of Terminator (limited to only the first and second film). If this project were to lift off, there would be some appearence by the Borg (they are afterall, the most popular of Star Trek antagonists, and would be a popular demand) but i would prefer if the story did not specifically center around the Borg (as this has, like you mentioned, been done time and time again in the series, film and various computer games and mods).

MikeRS said:

Wow, I live in...opposite universe. Where nobody cares about voyager or Enterprise and TNG/TOS are kings, DS9 is in the middle :P

That's me.

For me, Voyager had the annoyance of many of the episodes working towards yet another chance of getting home but you knew that, somehow, the attempts were going to be thwarted because if they weren't the series would be over.

Enterprise, for me, was a really awkward series where I thought they had a lot of difficulty getting the feel right. It didn't seem to me that the technology was right and they struggled to have people's attitudes to the technology be consistent.

DS9 was OK. Some good stuff some bad stuff. TNG was a complete and rounded set of shows, generally, and TOS is cheesy as hell but kind of watchable all the same.

My biggest problem with them all though is this strange, a bit too clean, slightly idealistic world that humans seem to live in with their putting aside of war and money. It's all a bit too clean, sterile and loved up for me. And most of the "science" is absolute toss presented with ridiculous dead-pan seriousness. And the prime directive... I'd love to tell them where to stick that! But hey, they're all fun enough to watch.

The new movie looks quite promising to me BTW.

Enterprise was pretty bad for the first two seasons. Oh no, we've been captured... again. The third year was great though, with a season-spanning plot arc about the Enterprise trying to find and eliminate a weapon that will destroy Earth, while playing cat-and-mouse with an overwhelming enemy military.

But by then, most people had stopped watching.

Anyway...

POTGIESSER said:

There's some Quake 3 based Star Trek FPS that you could probably steal a bunch of resources from.

That would be Elite Force, which has a small but dedicated modding community at spacestationk7.eliteforce.com.

There's also Scuba Steve's early weapons that you could probably use if you asked him.

Not really an original idea though for a TC by any means, seeing as the source material has more spinoffs than a Russian car driving down a bumpy road.

Enjay said:

TNG was a complete and rounded set of shows, generally(...)

Make it warp ten, mister LaForge
TNG all the way (if any of the ST series).

I could sit and watch re-runs of TOS until my bones fuse together! :-)
The spin-offs are OK - a bit too PC for my liking.

Possible enemies in the TC could include Cardassians, Gorn, Betazoid rebels (telekinetic attack), Nausicaans, Andorian rebels and the Jem'Hadar (stealth attack).

if STTNG is used and if there's any theme inconsistency, we can blame Q for it and write up an improvised few paragraphs of excuses of why in the storyline, or 'another recreational day in the holodeck'

GreyGhost said:

Possible enemies in the TC could include Cardassians, Gorn, Betazoid rebels (telekinetic attack), Nausicaans, Andorian rebels and the Jem'Hadar (stealth attack).

I do not know yet which enemies will appear, but i will not just throw in a bunch of the diffrent species. It has to go together with the plot.

It will been designed for EDGE, wether people like it or not. This engine gives me the most simplistic and biggest freedom of scripting.