Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ellmo

good E2 imitations? (+ 2 of my maps download)

The episode one of doom has been recreated many, many times. But is there a good, or just decent imitation of "The Shores of hell" ?

I don't know about whole episodes but doing a search of some of Pablo Diccter's levels may let you find a good Ep2-ish level or two. I know he's done some very good ones.

Thanks Enjay, you always come to the rescue.

Here's my attempt to mimic E2M1. No fancy detail, simple and recognizable.

I hope you guys like it, and the link works:
http://rapidshare.com/files/88718427/e2m1.wad.html

Please post any comments on the map, and be aware - there are no difficulty settings yet. The map should run on everything (even vanilla), but it would be nice if someone could test it in Chocolate port.

ellmo said:

The episode one of doom has been recreated many, many times. But is there a good, or just decent imitation of "The Shores of hell" ?

None that come to mind. I'm working on one, but it'll be a few months yet, probably.

Here's my attempt to mimic E2M1. No fancy detail, simple and recognizable.

I enjoyed that a lot, actually. Short and simple. I liked the detail level. It's a good example of a map that looks solid but keeps the sector count down.

There's a texture missing on one of the lowering platforms in the blood. If you don't run across them fast enough, you can see the HOM after the platform before it lowers. The part where the caco teleports in behind you is a little rough. And the switch at the beginning that opens the teleporter -- I'd make the linedef in front of it impassable so you don't step up into it. Just a little pet peeve of mine.

Ellmo, have you played the demo of Flashback, by Torn, Espi, and Erik Alm? It's a vanilla-compatible remake of Ultimate Doom. The demo only has a few of the maps (since it's still being worked on), but a couple of them are e2 maps and they're great. If I remember right it includes e1m1, e2m3, e2m4, e3m1, e3m2, and e4m1 remakes. All of them are really good.

As for a straight e2 remake, check out Espi's Back to Basics. It's a full e2 episode replacement. It's fully vanilla-compatible, except a few maps that overflow the savegame buffer. (So they can be played in vanilla without saving, or they can be played in chocolate doom or any other sourceport) I think it'd be pretty much exactly what you're looking for. :)

edit: you can find both of them in /idgames/

Ryathaen said:

There's a texture missing on one of the lowering platforms in the blood. If you don't run across them fast enough, you can see the HOM after the platform before it lowers. The part where the caco teleports in behind you is a little rough. And the switch at the beginning that opens the teleporter -- I'd make the linedef in front of it impassable so you don't step up into it. Just a little pet peeve of mine.

Noted.
Thank you for playing it thouroughly. And I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

esselfortium said:

Ellmo, have you played the demo of Flashback, by Torn, Espi, and Erik Alm?

[/b]

I have more than just played those maps. If my memory serves me well - I contributed... errr... tried to contribute to the project myself. I was building E4M4,
which is one of the ugliest maps (both the original, and hence the Flashbacked version of mine) ever.

What happened to the project?

As for a straight e2 remake, check out Espi's Back to Basics. It's a full e2 episode replacement. It's fully vanilla-compatible, except a few maps that overflow the savegame buffer. (So they can be played in vanilla without saving, or they can be played in chocolate doom or any other sourceport) I think it'd be pretty much exactly what you're looking for. :)

I'll do that, thank you.

Yeah, actually, B2B's maps each fit with the original names of the E2 levels quite well, so it can be considered a "remake" of sorts (but with all-new levels, and not modifications or close lookalikes).

Enjay said:

I don't know about whole episodes but...

Why, Enjay, you didn't mention your own Episode 2 replacement! Don't be so modest. Sure, your mapping skills have improved quite a bit since then, but I remember those maps being pretty fun.

Also, I'll cast another vote for Back to Basics. It's great fun and the levels look quite good for being vanilla-compatible.

Chocolate Doom reports a runtime error when I try to play the map.
In PRBoom+ there are two hanging corpses that block movement (it's looks to be a PRBoom+ issue) and the switch to reveal the Red Key secret doesn't work.
In Legacy the Red Key switch is still a problem or I've missed something.

EDIT - The switch works fine in GzDoom. Nice tribute map.

GreyGhost said:

Chocolate Doom reports a runtime error when I try to play the map.

Same problem for me.
I'll try it with Prboom+ soon.

I guess one of the linedef actions is not compatible with vanilla doom.
I'm going to change that soon.

I'm already working on the E2M2 (aka We fucinkg love crates) replacement.

I've played B2B which is a superb mapset, with very nice design, but it does not resemble E2 atmosphere (although as Myk mentioned, the look of the maps fits their names), and has some repetitive texture work.

Yet it's a great vanilla example. Thanks for pointing this out.

EDIT:
The only two things that were malfunctioning in E1M1 were, the DoomBuilder 3D mode start (doh!), and the red key switch LineDef.

The map is working fine in both vanilla and chocolate doom.
I'll reupload later.

E2M2 CARGO BAY:( Who does not love the facking crates?)

Classic E2M2 start:

Your favourite harmful blinking blue lights.

GreyGhost said:
(it's looks to be a PRBoom+ issue)

Any engine that retains Doom's behavior in respect to decorations does it, as these all have a height of 16 and either block movement or they don't at all, as opposed to using the thing's height to block movement with (as done in Heretic, ZDoom, or other engines that tend to use more 3D or 3D-like stuff).

Point taken - I had a look in WadAuthor and the decorations are labelled (block player) so PRBoom+ is only doing what it's supposed to. <GreyGhost slaps forehead>

Nebula-Kristian said:

I've always thought that this is the best e2 replacement floating around:

"Dinner" (for doom.exe v1.2) :)))

It looks and plays nice; definitely an oldschool atmosphere. But it's nowhere near Episode 2. Too much gray briks on too many levels.

GreyGhost said:

Point taken - I had a look in WadAuthor and the decorations are labelled (block player) so PRBoom+ is only doing what it's supposed to. <GreyGhost slaps forehead>

Yeah, this will also change. I did not intend to block the player by a pair of legs, hanging two meters above him.

GreyGhost said:
I had a look in WadAuthor and the decorations are labelled (block player) so PRBoom+ is only doing what it's supposed to.

I'm not sure but I think Doom Builder has the obstructing and non-obstructing decorations confused, which may have mislead ellmo.

I played through some of the level. The reason Chocolate Doom is crashing is because Doom Builder's camera (thing 32000) is in the level. I saw a couple tutti fruttis, one by the blue key, and another where the Automap powerup is. After visiting the Automap area, the map broke. I haven't checked an editor, but maybe a misplaced (or missing?) tag is affecting a some sector(s) moving floors or ceilings, causing the HOMs and other issues.

The Red keycard revealing switch did work for me (I used Doom), so maybe Boom/MBF engines (or those that behave like them in this respect) are having a problem with it.

Another E2 replacement more like this one is Wonderful Doom's second episode.

myk said:

I'm not sure but I think Doom Builder has the obstructing and non-obstructing decorations confused, which may have mislead ellmo.

[/b]
They are named properly in DB. I just didn't pay attention, since I was using GZDoom for testing.

I played through some of the level. The reason Chocolate Doom is crashing is because Doom Builder's camera (thing 32000) is in the level.

Yes, I noted this before and removed it.

I saw a couple tutti fruttis, one by the blue key, and another where the Automap powerup is. After visiting the Automap area, the map broke. I haven't checked an editor, but maybe a misplaced (or missing?) tag is affecting a some sector(s) moving floors or ceilings, causing the HOMs and other issues.

I've seen the tutti-fruttis, but the map didn't crash there. Textures will be fixed.

The Red keycard revealing switch did work for me (I used Doom), so maybe Boom/MBF engines (or those that behave like them in this respect) are having a problem with it.

The red switch used tag zero, to affect the sector right behind it. I have added a proper, unique tag to both the sector and the LineDef, this should solve the problem.

Going to check this out.

Thanks for playing, and for your comments, myk.

ellmo said:
Yes, I noted this before and removed it.

Oh, I see the previous mention now where you noticed it above... maybe I need glasses!

The red switch used tag zero, to affect the sector right behind it. I have added a proper, unique tag to both the sector and the LineDef, this should solve the problem.

Makes sense, and explains why in PrBoom the switch didn't work and in Doom it did but those errors occurred.

Reckoner said:

Why, Enjay, you didn't mention your own Episode 2 replacement! Don't be so modest. Sure, your mapping skills have improved quite a bit since then, but I remember those maps being pretty fun.

It didn't qualify.

ellmo said:

good, or just decent ?

;)

Actually, I'd completely forgotten about it. But I suspect Ellmo is looking for something with a bit more class and, to be fair, a bit more Ep2 feel which I don't think my set really has that much of. The main reason for those levels being Episode 2 was the id software stipulation that add-ons should not run with the shareware version. "Back in the day" a lot of people made their maps for E2M1 onwards as an easy way to comply with that. So my first few wads were for Ep2. At that time, I don't think the -file parameter had been disabled for the SW version.

myk said:

Very much like the original maps... too much for my taste. One of the best episodes I've ever seen was of course in 2002ADO. Well imitated atmosphere, but with a new "something".

Some more screenies of my revamped E2M2:

Chocolate screen:

Gzdoom screen:

another Choco Screen:

and a GZD version:

one of my favorite maps from Doom has always been e2m4 (episode two has always been my favorite as well.)
i'm still waiting for a map that captures the atmosphere of that one, without so much random texture usage.
...actually, i think i'll take a break from my project and attempt this.

I love episode 2 as well, but I genuinely hate E2M3. I IDCLEV through it almost every time I play.
I don't thnik I'm going to recreate it. I'm going do do something new.

Ellmo, Flashback is still going, not strong, but it is going. Well, what happened with your flashback map? :)

Torn said:

Ellmo, Flashback is still going, not strong, but it is going. Well, what happened with your flashback map? :)

I just sent you a Pm. The map is okay, I'll finish it up if it is still needed.

NiGHTMARE said:

I can't believe no-one has mentioned SailorScout's Containment Area yet. Simply awesome level.

Which requires a ZDoom source port and is for doom2.
I was thinking more like vanilla maps (tho' I didn't specify).

I have finished the second map, imitating "E2M2: the containment area", and done some minor fixes to the first one:
ellmo.drdteam.org/e2m1.wad
ellmo.drdteam.org/e2m2.wad

If anyone notices any kind of bug, please post it here.
The maps were tested using GZDoom (doh!), Chocolate and Vanilla Doom.