Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spoonman

need help on the story

I have doom 3 for the xbox, and have completed it a couple of times. I still don't get the story tho. I know that betruger is evil and was behind the invasion, but was he always a demon, or was he posessed by the hell forces? And what about seargent kelly, was he bad all along. And counsellor swann and his bodyguard, why were they their exactly? It seemed swann was a good guy, but I ain't too sure.
This may seem like a pointless thread, but it's my first. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

As I see it, Betruger was just a bad guy (corrupt, putting his project ahead of people's lives, that sort of thing). And bad people go to hell. Sargent Kelly is just your regular army guy, who found himself knee-deep in shit and got turned into a zombie. Counsellor Swann and his bodyguard are the usual bureaucrat and cleanup crew, usually portrayed as bad guys in stories, so I understand the confusion there, but they were trying to get Betruger to follow the rules and stop what he was doing.

In one of the Dooms (3 or ROE) somebody said that Betruger went through the hell portal, and when he came back he was never the same.

I have have Doom3 on both the PC and the Xbox as well as ROE. There seem to be some things in the Xbox version that are not in the PC version.

Betruger was not a demon, he found out about the fact the "the other dimension was in fact hell and made some unknown deal with hell.

Sr.Kelly was just changed by the demons, as you might have noticed when he made an a attemt to run you over on his tank thingy.

And in ROE Betruger combines his body with some demon of some sort.
Then at that point he is by definition "a demon".

Eternus said:

Hehe Doom 3 had the most tough story to understand ever.

Huh? As long as one would read the email and listen to the audio logs its hard not to understand what was going on. The story is simple yet cool.

Several PDAs don't even talk about major plot issues. One guy just talks about some machine malfunctions that are pointless in relationship to the plot (I'm not talking about the monorail). I even hated the fact that I had to listen to a 5 min long PDA just to get the code of the cabinet right in front of me.

Some had martianbuddy spams like "enlarge your pen1s" or "get out of debt"

Also, plot doesn't matter, I you were a marine stuck in a mars base would you focus on what the hell so and so dude did? No, if it were me I'd be too busy killing the goddamn demons.

Betrueger: "traitor". He made the worng choice and changed his atttitude towards people. Went through the portal cuz of his facination with possibly the super natural, satanism or mystical things. Experienced.

Sargent Kelly: Not a very happy man. Either he decided to side with Betruger or was cought unexpectedly. His motives were to remain a mystery. Also experienced.

Swann & his BF: "Damage control". "Authorised by the board" to keep and eye on Betty and his babies. A strong team. Swann was authoritative and his bodyguard was loyal & crafty. I can say many more things about them since duos create more depth for the plot.

Doomguy3 "J. Kane": Was to be court martialed but was sent to Mars to do dirty work (according to the book). I strongly believe that he was a decendant of the martian race since he was left pretty much untouched while most soldiers and civilians were turning into zombies.

Though, lets not write text books about these characters. I myself have gone far enough.

I belive Doom 3's storyline was written to deliberately leave questions open for players to interpret as they see fit. The goal is to give the story as wide a range of interpretations as possible rather than go: "this is how the story goes, now fucking deal with it and shut up, we don't give a shit if you don't like this or that answer", so it leaves people to figure out their own explanations.

The story tells us specifically that Betruger is a bad guy commanding the demons, and having "Hellish powers" (at least he can transform a marine into a demonic commando - sure doesn't look scientific to me, but I'm not a scientist either, so I wouldn't know :P ).

It does not tell us why he does it (NB: whatever you read in the novel and on wikipedia is irrelevant. The Novel is just based on the game, diverging in its own plot direction and wikipedia is just the interpretations of whoever wrote the article), how he came up with the crazy idea that aiding Hell was good for him and how he gained the powers that he obviously comes to possess. But the game offers several hints that can be widely interpreted, i.e. some people apparently dig the interpretation that he "made a deal", which I think is lame. I like to think Betruger just got a bit too close to Hell for comfort and got "possessed" or driven insane because of it, his own will getting overpowered by Hell's will or something to that effect.

Sarge could be anything: Betruger's lackey from the start or ignorant, unwitting pawn of Hell right until Hell decides that it needs him to "become actually evil" and go from simply "possessed" to "mutated into horrific demon". I prefer the latter, because it makes the story more interesting and opens it up to additional interpretation, just like I prefer the idea that Hell simply "picked" Betruger as its first target for demonic possesion rather than: "Yeah, he's an asshole and made a deal with the Devil", because my interpretation opens up the storyline for additional interpretation and inspiration.

Counsellor Swann is sent to Mars to check up on Betruger's handling of the various projects and the Mars base employees, because the Board of Directors are unhappy about having to pay compensation for the various accidents that befall employees and having to deal with general deteriorating work morale on Mars (due to accidents, people going crazy, nasty rumours about Mars being a bad place, etc.).
Because he might know more about what's taking place at the Mars base than the player, he is quicker to figure out that "calling for help" = bad idea because the demons will just possess the marine fleet and use the spacecraft to get to Earth to "feast on the souls of people on planet Earth" or something. So Swann knows the critical importance of keeping the demons as far away from Earth as possible, even if it means getting everyone on the Mars base killed. How Swann can know this is not explained and I consider it one of the weaker links in D3's storyline.
The only way he could know all that is if he has had access to PDA's the player never gets access to, but it could easily be a plot oversight.

Jack Campbell is just Swann's personal bodyguard, but his personality doesn't make him seem like the sociable type. The original draft for the storyline in D3 suggested that he took pleasure in killing stuff, something which made him seem a morally ambiguous individual.
Either way, Swann and Campbell are portrayed as "the good guys", but the story deliberately makes their actions questionable.

A Mystery is not 'Mysterious' when you know whats hiding under your bed.

Thats why they call it a mystery.
Every individual player should make his/her own conclusions.