Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_master1122

Super mario doom

Remember that one wad that wad made, with the sprite conversions?
Well I took it into my own hands and did an 8-bit Mario doom.
It has the original Super mario bros levels, sound FX, sprites, music, weapons, items, etc.
Videos at my Youtube profile
http://youtube.com/user/Doommaster1122

I originally had Scubasteve's, Action Doom's, Mario pipe in there. But I made my own later. Not to mention the Sky texture going from light to dark, which I also remade.
To download, visit the Mario doom website (yes freewebs, bare with me, it was free.)

Comments on it please.
If you dont like it, Dont flame, state what you dont like about it.

eh... it's ok. a couple of suggestions. the same way you did the script at the end of 1-4 you should implement for each map. cross the line of the flag and go in to the side scrolling of mario walking in to the castle.

I think there may be something wrong with the pick-ups. I got shells, but I couldn't switch to them. it flashes like I got something, but no message pops up saying I got shells and nothing changes on the hud (which you should change BTW). I used "give all" in the consoleto get them, and all the other weapons.

another suggestion, to make 1-4 a bit harder why not have the fire chains rotate across your path instead of on the sides. that way it would be kinda like trying to run thru fan blades. you made several other concesions to the worlds and I think that would be a good one.

also, if you want to make the player jump more like mario instead of having jump blocks, I believe you can change the players gravity to make him jump higher. if you don't want to do that I would suggest changing the jump blocks to look like the springboards from the later levels. someone playing the levels without watching your videos won't know what they are.

How could I get mario walking into the castle at the end. Mario is the player (obviously), and I didnt think you could control the player with scripting. =/

Shells are fine. Unless you are talking about the red ones. The red ones arent given to you yet in this little beta/demo thing. The green shells are given to you, however, in 1-2 there is a pile of shells (looks like a pyramid of shells) that gives you the ability to use green ones.

I'm still thinking on how to make 1-4 harder. Cant do much except add enemies. Which I might end up having to do.

I was given that suggestion on making spring boards, i have the texture of it, just haven't imported it yet. I do want the player to jump higher, but I never figured out how to.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm taking them as a note on what to improve and do... Every little bit helps!

Possibly a conveyor belt, with the matching block to keep you from walking off forever (impassable linedef, maybe? (or whatever it's called, I'm not one for terminology) and...

Wait, a conveyor that goes forward, then a conveyor which pushes you into the castle door (make it pitch dark, so you "disappear" like in Mario), and maybe keep that linedef I mentioned to make sure you don't get pushed too far forward by the initial conveyor.

As for what I thought...
Looked pretty great, while I initially prefered different jump height, I really came to like how you managed to not have to change some of the common jumping mechanics. My favorite so far would have to be W1M3, great stuff.

well if you can't get the player to move by script, which I think I saw that somewhere, maybe when he crosses the line the camera can switch to a dummy area where a decorate mario walks in to castle and have the level end. I'm sure you can do that? then maybe you can put fire works and a raising flag. also I do believe there are podobos in 1-4. you can increase the number and make 'em attack like lost souls.

Never thought of using the Dummy sector. Thanks for that info!
Podobos dont show up until level 2-4...
But im sure I can still use them in here.

Thanks for info.

about the podobos, yeah, I saw that when I played the real smb again. hadn't picked it up in a long time. I would still add them just to make the level a bit more challenging as well as the other change I suggested. having the fire chains on the sides is kinda silly as they don't present much of a hazard. I think you should make 'em rotate across your path so you have avoid them and time your passage throught the level. I would even make them give massive damage or even kill you instantly.

I thought about doing something similar to this with Commander Keen a while back :p

I haven't played it, but I have looked at the videos.

I would suggest making some of the platforms a bit narrower so the player has to jump over the pipes sometimes. It just doesn't seem so "Mario" if you can go around them all. Makes the plants in them a bit more useful as well.

ok, I see about the shells. you get the weapon in 1-2. I completely missed that cuz I didn't look down in that area. you should make it that you get it from the first koopa just like you would get the shotgun from a shotgun guy or give the weapon pickup in a more visible area. I never even thought to look down there.

VileSlay said:

ok, I see about the shells. you get the weapon in 1-2. I completely missed that cuz I didn't look down in that area. you should make it that you get it from the first koopa just like you would get the shotgun from a shotgun guy or give the weapon pickup in a more visible area. I never even thought to look down there.

Yep. Thought of making them provide you with the weapon, but then i changed my mind and made them give the ammo.
And the shells are supposed to be hidden. Just like some of the other ones in the later levels, I plan on hiding more. ;)

I saw this on another forum. It is interesting that the feedback on here is a lot stiffer and less accepting than on the other forum.

hmm.. don't see how the comments here are less excepting. just giving some constructive comments on the gameplay. it's not perfect but it's still a great attempt. from my understanding this is just a demo, and could use some improvements. It's actually grown on me more since I first played it.

geo said:

I saw this on another forum. It is interesting that the feedback on here is a lot stiffer and less accepting than on the other forum.

I don't mind it being that way, even though i dont see it, but, anyway all this helps me make it a lot better then.
Like making 1-4 harder. and changing the player jump gravity (still trying to figure it out, not working though. lol)

I'll take all the suggestions I can =)

geo said:

People tend to be brutally honest here.

Well, does anyone know how to make the player's gravity lower so they jump higher? Because I have looked every where for something to do that, and i can not figure it out.
I look in the Zdoom wiki and can not find it.

Anyone able to help here?

I'm not sure how it's done, but I've seen it in a couple of dm wads where they have "moon gravity". try asking in the doom editing section or in the zdoom forums. sorry I can't be of more help.

Sector_SetGravity

Either have the player activate this action special with a linedef/action thing or place it in an OPEN script which affects all sectors where you want the gravity to be modified. You might even look into seeing if there is a MAPINFO entry for gravity (hard to tell these days).

Doom_master1122 said:

Well, does anyone know how to make the player's gravity lower so they jump higher? Because I have looked every where for something to do that, and i can not figure it out.
I look in the Zdoom wiki and can not find it.

Anyone able to help here?

http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:PlayerPawn

Scroll down to player.jumpz to find what you're looking for. If you look, there's a bunch of other stuff you can do as well.

Goes to show you ZDoom can do anything. Make players walk on ceilings. Format your hard drive. Microwave leftovers.
Endless possibilities, I tell you.

EarthQuake said:

Goes to show you ZDoom can do anything. Make players walk on ceilings. Format your hard drive. Microwave leftovers.
Endless possibilities, I tell you.

heh, it may even take over the world someday. zdoom is the real skynet.