Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rebdoomin

The marine's pet bunny.

EarthQuake said:

it's a skyscraper with a very reflective surface.

Way too reflective, like a giant mirror. It actually copies the real image. Instead, in an environment like that, if it were indeed mirror-like, you know that the destruction would have broken the glass, or at least dirtied it. But no. So that's not a very serious drawing, maybe it's even rushed (what with all those aligned identical dead trees too). It's more symbolic than realistic, for sure.

AndrewB said:

Umm, it's just an illustration of ordinarily-oriented buildings portrayed through some sort of wide-angle or fisheye lens.

Or the wrap-around visor on Doomguy's helmet? I can live with that.

I suspect the bunny wasn't killed by hellspawn.
Let's examine the known facts-

• Doomguy's been wandering around Deimos, Phobos and Hell for days(?) with his helmet sealed shut.
  • There are no fast-food outlets or snack vending machines to be seen.
  • Hellspawn probably taste as bad as they look.
It's my opinion that the first thing Doomguy does on returning to Earth is take a breath of air that hasn't been recycled 1000 times. The second is to spot the bunny and say "Hello lunch!".

Does anyone agree with me? :-) <flameshield=up>

I read through the whole thread and it got me thinking:

Does that bunny, or the shape of the building really matter that much to you?

ellmo said:
I read through the whole thread and it got me thinking:

I read through your whole post and it got me thinking: do you really care to read through and post in threads you're not even interested in?

Inferno said:
Its kind of funny you don't see people in panic trying to flee from the city site in EP3/EP4 pics.

But when you're playing there are no living people either, so that would have felt inconsistent. In both games the doomguy is the only living human ever shown, which gives the impression of doing everything by yourself (the only mention of other people is when they leave on the ship and message you a final objective, unless you play Coop). So it gives the impression people are either dead*, or fled away from the areas with monsters.

* Or dying, if you consider the impaled guy that twitches, heh.

myk said:

* Or dying, if you consider the impaled guy that twitches, heh.

That could also mean a trapped zombieman (same as the hanging one). So he's dead too. In this case, only coop will be the chance for socialization in vanilla Doom.

myk said:
But when you're playing there are no living people either, so that would have felt inconsistent. In both games the doomguy is the only living human ever shown, which gives the impression of doing everything by yourself (the only mention of other people is when they leave on the ship and message you a final objective, unless you play Coop). So it gives the impression people are either dead*, or fled away from the areas with monsters.

* Or dying, if you consider the impaled guy that twitches, heh. [/B]

This is true, its just that whenever I see this picture, I feel that the invasion on Earth is just happening, so the presence of people in fear would be fitting. Also the one skyscraper is enveloped in fiery smoke as if the attack is happening at that moment. By the time the doomguy comes along theres no people and you would not see that building on fire (I know its an in-game limitation but you get the idea.)

GreyGhost said:

Or the wrap-around visor on Doomguy's helmet? I can live with that.

I suspect the bunny wasn't killed by hellspawn.
Let's examine the known facts-

• Doomguy's been wandering around Deimos, Phobos and Hell for days(?) with his helmet sealed shut.
  • There are no fast-food outlets or snack vending machines to be seen.
  • Hellspawn probably taste as bad as they look.
It's my opinion that the first thing Doomguy does on returning to Earth is take a breath of air that hasn't been recycled 1000 times. The second is to spot the bunny and say "Hello lunch!".

Does anyone agree with me? :-) <flameshield=up>

I support this theory.

Inferno said:

Its kind of funny you don't see people in panic trying to flee from the city site in EP3/EP4 pics.

Because they are all dead.

I never realized that ep3 and ep4 were the same really (except one is a bunny and one is a marine in the foreground). The marine always bothered me, he looks nothing like I pictured him. In ep3 is a hand holding the bunny or what? Also it took me a while to realize the background was skyscrapers as well, but then again what are they doing in the middle of a field? Actually I like it though, it adds this surreal look to the whole seen, a beautiful field with an orangey sunset sky and then twisted surreal skyscrapers in skewed perspective off to one corner in flames.

geo said:

Because they are all dead.

Not quite:

The Doom II Manual said:

Some people have been transformed into flesh-eating mutants, but a few, a very few, are still alive and fully human.

Of course, since the plan was to evacuate Earth on ships, most people would be huddled in the starport waiting for the Doomguy to flip the MAP11 switch rather than running throughout the city.

Oh yeah, bunnies are edible, I see no problem on GreyGhost's theory.

insertwackynamehere said:

In ep3 is a hand holding the bunny or what?

I believe it's merely a stick. But when I first saw, it didn't convince me (either). I thought it's a zombie rabbit's stretchy neck whose owner (the rabbit himself) wanted to attack me.

It's a spike. Perhaps something like the spiky stub decoration.

Or maybe it is the marine's 1st person view of himself holding a rabbit while looking at the burning butter flies and mass destruction as his blood boils to a shard rage. He than gets revenge and kills every thing that moves in doom2.

Maybe Doomguy's ad-libbing Hamlet's soliloquy in the graveyard? "Alas poor Daisy, I knew her well".

ellmo said:

Does that bunny, or the shape of the building really matter that much to you?

It's said "small things amuse small minds" - I'm making that my excuse for being here. :p

GreyGhost said:
Maybe Doomguy's ad-libbing Hamlet's soliloquy in the graveyard?

Then he must have added, "and methinks Daisy should not have uttered that impse joke just as the imps were marching by towards the city."

Some additional research has led me to conclude that there are TWO bunnies in Ultimate Doom!

In a side-by-side comparison, Daisy II (on the right) appears to binocular vision as well as a black nose.

I suspect the cheesy story at the end of E4 is there to conceal the fact that Doomguy likes bunnies so much he will eat them raw!

God, I knew this was going to bring up conspiracy theories eventually.

Ya see, Hell never invaded Earth, Deimos, nor Phobos. The bunnies are actually smarter than they look; they slipped a hallucinogen into the Doomguy's coffee one morning and the Doomguy has been on a hard-core trip the entire time.

In reality, none of it happened. Even the evil bunnies are a fragment of his imagination. Which leads us to who poisoned the Doomguy again? Or was any part of it real to begin with?