Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

BOOM LEVEL: Soulicane on the Ammonia Planet

I came up with this level, in 2006 it took me 3 days to complete. It is just sitting. So I am posting it here to Beta Test. Its for BOOM 2 (DOOM 2 using the BOOM engine).

http://cixe.planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/doom/ammonia.wad - 270 KB

SOULICANE on the AMMONIA PLANET

Synapse:

Venus, "the pain planet," skies rain ammonia, and other chemicals. The atmosphere cannot be breathed, but there is a lone research facility. The first of its kind at least on Venus and it has been completed there for the past three months. Unless something enjoys intense pain, nothing can survive the ammonia storms outside the facility.

You are being sent to search for survivors of the research facility on Venus. Previous communications reported that it seems that the atmospheric pressure caused by the hurricanes has an unusual effect. The ability to tear a soul out of a human body and draw it into the hurricane, making what is called a soulicane. The indicators of facility still shows life signs meaning that it is populated with its crew and staff, but no one has contacted Earth in quite some time. You may not find the living staff in a usual state of productiveness.

There are a few warnings though, there are sentries with chainguns, you will be lucky if you can take their chainguns with them. Every crew and staff member had a sidearm, you might be warry of that, but there are plasma rifles locked in a storage area near the main hall of the facility.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel this map is interesting, because there are some intense battles and a diverse selection of enemies and puzzles. You also don't have to always take the same path when you play, which is the best part about the most intense battle, you can handle it in two different ways. There are choices and secrets. There are interesting differences like walls that you can blow up and control panels that lift key walls.

Takes me at least 13 minutes to get through and I know where everything is.

You provided a whole bunch of screenshots, but I still downloaded and played it. Your story is quite nice, though playing the level (or even just looking at the screenshots) keeps me wondering, where am I? It doesn't have the research facility feel, as your story put it into my mind. A lot of stone and wood which, especially for a planet with a crushing atmosphere as Venus, doesn't even give me the remote feeling of being on Venus or in a research facility other than where alchemists might try to turn led into gold.

I like the gameplay of your level (having played it on 'I'm Too Young To Die'), though the same looking doors and switches confused me a bit, sometimes. There's a small HOM-effect at where the Mancubus is guarding the red key (from below it looks like the Mancubus is floating, though ascending reveals the floor, running through where there should be texture). And, the first time I loaded it quickly, I had the red key immediately, grabbed it through the wall, I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen.

Quite nice, and consistent theming, although I still think that, aside from a few rooms with a computer in it, it looks too wood/stone brown for the context you placed it in.

That was really great, better than the majority I download from here. Deceptively difficult even though lower class enemies are dominant, and unique and interesting. I liked the ammo shortage (if you go the most obvious way).
Things that might be bugs (or secrets):
the first switch that reveals the single barrel shotgun- you can run right over this into the window on the opposite side thus not needing the red key (you still do need the red key to access the exit though. If its a secret though its a good one because it took me a few plays to think of it. Then again, going that way makes the level a lot easier). Also you don't seem to need the yellow key to activate the computer that raises the yellow door pole.

scorpion said:

You provided a whole bunch of screenshots, but I still downloaded and played it. Your story is quite nice, though playing the level (or even just looking at the screenshots) keeps me wondering, where am I? It doesn't have the research facility feel, as your story put it into my mind. A lot of stone and wood which, especially for a planet with a crushing atmosphere as Venus, doesn't even give me the remote feeling of being on Venus or in a research facility other than where alchemists might try to turn led into gold.

You are right about the logic. I should just stick some lava textures instead of acid and make it in Hell instead of on Venus.