Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Sterotypical stuff

http://tvtropes.org

If you liked the "Grand List of Role-Playing Clichees", you'll love TVTropes. I wandered into the site by chance while Googling something on plot devices. It's a compendium of all the stupid things you see all the time in fiction. It's got special sections for Anime, Videogames, Comics and so on. It also has sections for each page describing various shows and literature that contain the thing. My favorite articles you should look up:

Dropped a Bridge on Him
God Modders
Gainax Ending

I second Buckets' recommendation. It's a really good read even if it dose ruin your life.

Have you even gone to read up on one topic on wikipedia only to keep getting distracted by links to other topics and ended up wasting hours absorbing all sorts useless information because you just can't stop clicking those bloody links? TV Tropes is like that only instead of wasting hours, you're going to miss a few important daily meals.

The only thing that annoy me about the sight though is that the Anime stuff is starting to really take the place over. I know Anime has it's own fanatical following, but it's so different from the rest of the stuff, and there's so bloody much of it that's it's getting quite a hassle to find non Anime stuff. They should make 'AnimeTropes' and just move all the Anime stuff there.

Captain Red said:

I second Buckets' recommendation. It's a really good read even if it dose ruin your life.

Have you even gone to read up on one topic on wikipedia only to keep getting distracted by links to other topics and ended up wasting hours absorbing all sorts useless information because you just can't stop clicking those bloody links? TV Tropes is like that only instead of wasting hours, you're going to miss a few important daily meals.

That happened to me a couple times. Most of the time it happens whenever I try looking up information on guest actors on tv shows. There was one time where I somehow ended up looking up a bunch of stuff on wikipedia on cryptozoology or something. I think I stayed up till around 3:30am.

I forget where I found this, but this sums it up whenever I visit a site like wikipedia or snopes.

It's always funny to look back on the browser history and see how one link leads to another, like a road map of one's stream of consciousness.

I'm not allowed to touch that website after midnight. I suffer wikipedism, where I click one link, that leads to another, that leads to five others, and I wonder how I went from Mary Sue to The Urkel in five hours.

HWGuy said:
I forget where I found this, but this sums it up whenever I visit a site like wikipedia or snopes.

http://xkcd.com/214/

And it's true... tabbed browsing is especially bad for this (I see something interesting and middle-click on it to read later, and end up with a queue of articles to read).

Shinobi is perhaps the most grievous offender of all time. Fighting one's way through the game requires a lot of skill and not a little luck. And yet, if you win....you get a black screen saying "Game Over". The exact same screen you get when you lose.

Wow, that's seriously fucked up.
Someone stop me.

I adore this kind of stuff. Thanks for the link! Now I'll have something to read up on when I'm bored.

caco_killer said:

I was up late last night reading the articles at the site. Pretty interesting stuff there.

FOR HOURS ON END
(fun but utterly time-consuming)

Me too, the "notes on Britain" section is very useful, i had to make a few edits though. Ought to bookmark it, rather than having to explain the difference between college and university myself all the time

If you're not wasting enough time already, barryboys.co.uk can consume days of your time

Another timewaster (If you havent been there yet)

bash.org

#8745 +(159)- [X]

<fraggle> when i typed lesbian i almost typed debian

Was this our fraggle?

A ton of the old quotes on there originally came from #doom. Also, I think Insomniak has like 2 different quotes in the top 200.