Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tarrasque

Job for a mod builder, read here..

I need the elp of a talented mod builder to help me with a project. I have no idea how to create a mod, or how to even pretend, I am a musician. As a free promotion tool for our fans we would like to have a mod of doom made based on our band, Nothing too special required, but I do have some specific ideas for it...my band music in the BG while you are killing away, etc., please hit me up if you or anyone you know is interested in this project and we can talk more about it.

tarrasque, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

tarrasque said:

...we would like to have a mod of doom made based on our band, Nothing too special required...

It sounds an awful lot like you just came here expecting us to have nothing better to do than make you your own personal WAD. I don't think that's the case with most of the people here.

That aside, how about some..uh...samples of your music?

Why don't you just, oh, I dunno...
PUT UP MP3s OF YOUR MUSIC SOMEWHERE FOR PEOPLE TO LISTEN TO? Making a Doom wad is probably one of the worst forms of advertising. Many people who would normally like your music, but don't want to set up/play a source port, will pass this by. And yeah, no one will make this for you.

First of all to all of you very talented people. My craft is most important to me as well as is yours to you. As far as building it myself goes, if I thought I could, I would have and this thread would not exist, unfortunatly my music career absorbs most of my time and even if I had the know how I still wouldn't have time. I understand also that people are very busy and deserve ample compensation for what they do (geez just cuz I am a poor musician doesn't mean I'm cheap). Also, I would like to thank whoever was so kind to point out that I should put up mp3's on my webpage, thats a revolutionary idea, thank you so much, I am sure no one has ever thought of that, seeing how every single band in the universe does it! including mine! I am looking for a different and interesting way to promote my band beyond the normal methods, that why we'd love to journey into the realm of video games. so I will put out the bid again- here goes- if anyone is interested in making a specialized mod with some secific aspects, give a shout and we can chat about it and see what can be done, truthfully I am not sure what I want can even be done with this game, I just have an idea and I need to see if what I am after is even possible. Thanks for the input though guys, even you captain obvious.

tarrasque: YMB mindless chatter aside, the others were being reasonable . If you are to interest anyone into helping you with this. You should at least offer samples of your music. If someone likes your music. They'd be a whole lot more open to the suggestion of working with you on this.

thats a very good point. I wouldn't want someone to try and put their heart into helping me with such a task without being at least a little bit of a fan. Mind you the webpages right now are all currently under construction, the old ones you'll find here are in a bad need of an update and are currently getting it. The songs are demos for the cd that we are currently working five days a week recording, they aren't bad, but they also aren't the final versions, think of this as WEDDG 1.0- hers the urls- myspace.com/weddg or weddg.com. To append my idea, the jester walks around killing with some kind of magical scepter, maybe with some simple levels involving the jester in a room (arena/venue) full of undead fans (zombie's) morphed out by the wicked tunes, and he has to mosh pit (fists as weapons) his way out. I wouldn't mind seeing a plastic yard goose as a weapon too (long long story involving a show and the destruction of said object being done during the set)...

Ideas enough I see now go for it you can do it the doom community has faith in you, your the best and nobody can get you down start up that editor and begin learning.

Believe it or not I have seen a Band that did this already. A death metal band that gave away the mod on their cd. It was terrible, but well scripted. They had the enemies dancing at one of their shows. It was 4 levels of strangeness.

well perhaps if I can understand the number theory behind 2nd edition dungeons and dragons and build web pages from scratch I might have a chance with this. Can anyone tell me where I might begin? Do I need to get some kind of editing program? I looked at the shareware versions files before but none of it looked fimiliar. Still I would be most interested in finding someone that would be willing to do it (and yes, I know, not for free. I wouldn't have that even if it were offered). I think though as long as I can find a way to edit so much as one element of the graphics and what not I can figure out the rest, any suggestions?

Do you mean you don't even have the Doom game to test the mod someone makes for you?

Heh, if you're a tabletop RPG geek and a from-scratch HTML coder making doom maps will seem almost insultingly easy. Good detailing etc takes patience more than anything

What about, your band donates some music for moders to use as their want as far as they give credit to your band.

ellmo said:

Do you mean you don't even have the Doom game to test the mod someone makes for you?

You don't need to own Doom to make mods for it. There's Freedoom, and also you can make it from "scratch".

Hey tarrasque, nice music. \m/_ [(-_-)] _\m/

Random thought :: Maby this would make a nice speed mapping project?

[edit] Mind you I am easy to please.

tarrasque said:
well perhaps if I can understand the number theory behind 2nd edition dungeons and dragons and build web pages from scratch I might have a chance with this. Can anyone tell me where I might begin? Do I need to get some kind of editing program?

This community is based around a commercially released and distributed game, so the first thing you need is to purchase the game(s). Otherwise you have the source code that is free to use under the GPL's conditions, and Freedoom, that is similar to the game but offers free (though as yet incomplete) resources.

First of all, you need to get your hands on a copy of Doom, preferably the legal way. If you don't think you can, get Freedoom. Second, you'll need a level editor. I'd suggest you'd start with Doom Builder (http://www.doombuilder.com/builder_info.php), as it's pretty simple. Deepsea has some nice features, but you have to pay for the full version.
If you want to add custom textures, sprites, etc. You'll need to use something like XWE. (ftp://drsleep@server1.thefourwinds.net/data/xwe.zip)

As for help putting it all together, I'm afraid you're a bit out of luck there. This is somewhat of a DIY community, and unless you've proven that you have a bit of experience in making maps, or at least screenshots of what you've done on the project, you're gonna have a hard time finding volunteers. What you might want to consider doing is get started on the maps, post some screenshots, and then ask for advice on how to improve it. I know there are more then a few veterans who will be more than willing to help you improve your mapping skills.

I like what vegeta said, I was hoping for alittle bit of a barter, the band and I discussed giving some free stuff (shirts, etc. and cd's) to whoever stepped up to the plate. To those of you who have checked out the webpage thanks a ton and thanks for the kind words(I'll tell the guitarist but his ego will probably explode, har!). The advice and urls laid out by everyone else should be good to get me going, and thanks too by the way. I am going to find a copy this weekend if I have time to go shop for one, or I'll buy one online (definetly won't be stealing it (after all stolen software is the #1 damaging thing to a musicians career right now!).

I probably won't be able come up with any finished or partially done product for a while since I am responsible for building weddg's new website/myspace/all the other social network sites as well as participating in the music, booking this years schedule, etc. as well as being a full time everything else too, but thats in-con-si-quen-tial. nevertheless, I will find time to do this little big project and I beleive that you nice folks have done wonders to input and help me out.

The gig remains though, open to the avid mod builder looking for the cred and some negotiable pay, if you are up for this, hit me up. You'd be a lifesaver! keep posting, I'm watchin, u guys are a cool bunch!

Glad you liked my idea. I think you could share some mp3 and midis composed by your band, not only here but on others games you like. If they like the music, and read the txt file, they'll pay attention whenever they heard/see your band.

You could ask to include a link to your web page when they credit your band.