Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stickguy5000

Another New wad i'm working on

I dropped one of my projects and i'm putting aside another to finish this one. I had this for quite a while with no doors screwed up textures and stuff so i decided just to throw out my original for it I threw in some doors and threw in a little more stuff like traps well a trap and a new sector for a puzzle solving deal.

http://files.filefront.com/EUACwad/;9628712;/fileinfo.html

Sorry, but this map is pretty damn bad. Instead of starting 50 different projects, it might be best if you just focus on making one single map. Take the time to work on different aspects of mapping, such as the layout, monster placement, texturing, architecture, etc. Try studying some of the great maps out there and see what makes them so good.

In short, you just need to put a lot more time into your maps. You seem to release maps quite often, but they are rather sub par. Mapping is something that improves with time and practice. Just stick with a single map and put at least a month's worth of work into perfecting it. I guarantee the results will be better.

brinks said:

Sorry, but this map is pretty damn bad. Instead of starting 50 different projects, it might be best if you just focus on making one single map. Take the time to work on different aspects of mapping, such as the layout, monster placement, texturing, architecture, etc. Try studying some of the great maps out there and see what makes them so good.

In short, you just need to put a lot more time into your maps. You seem to release maps quite often, but they are rather sub par. Mapping is something that improves with time and practice. Just stick with a single map and put at least a month's worth of work into perfecting it. I guarantee the results will be better.

Maybe you should concider pointing out the flawed sections of the level and explain what could be improved or explain the reason why that is flawed.

The lines where the doors are should be lower unpegged so you don't get that sliding effect. The trap exit was okay, but the bright light room's floor shouldn't be all lights. It doesn't look good when lights aren't aligned to how big the floor is. You could add some walls in there too, and lessen the number of lights. This way, you could create some nice shadows, like are in the first rooms.

Last idea: Add some sectors surrounding the windows on the inside so the light doesn't tranisiton so roughly from dark to light. Draw sectors so that the light equalizes, by 10s or something like that.

Keep mapping. Making more sectors, rooms, and levels are the only way that I found to get better. :)

Kaiser said:

Maybe you should concider pointing out the flawed sections of the level and explain what could be improved or explain the reason why that is flawed.

If you insist...

-The map in general is incredibly short and linear. The whole level literally goes like this: Go through door, teleport to new room, teleport back to start room, go through the same door again, exit. It could use a few optional routes and more secrets. Things like that make maps more fun to explore.

-The gameplay is pretty boring. Could use some better monster placement/usage. For example, the Demons on the raised platform at the start are practically useless. You could easily take them out from a spot where they can't even reach you. An enemy with a ranged attack would work much better there. It could also use some better traps to catch the player off guard. Try to be a bit more creative than the old "door opens, imp comes out" trick.

-The texturing and alignment needs some more work. At least there was nothing really eye gouging in it (except for the room where the walls were completely covered in LITE3). Using textures that match well with eachother and are aligned properly can really help enhance the looks of a map.

-The architecture. All of the rooms are basically square consisting of mostly 90 degree angles. Make rooms a bit more varied from one another. Add in some more height differences, maybe a few outdoor areas that the player can actually enter. Don't just randomly add these things in though. Make it so that the architecture at least seems a bit logical (unless you're going for something completely abstract).

Those are just some gripes I have with the map. I'm not claiming to be a mapping pro or anything. In fact, I only consider myself to be an average mapper. Just trying to give a little helpful advice on how to improve. There's really no advice anyone could give to instantly make you an amazing mapper. It all comes from experience, your own creativity, and perhaps a bit of trial and error. Just keep trying, you'll get the hang of it eventually :)

I downloaded the map.

There are promising signs. I think you'll improve as you grow older. The gameplay of the map was very easy and there were a few texture misalignments. I assume you have figured out Doom Builder without reading much level tutorials. You'll get better as time passes by. At least this map does not have 255 brightness all around.

Things to improve

* Patience. It takes alot of patience to make a good map.
* Texture Alignment
* Door Sides (Use DOORTRAK and LOWER UNPEGGED)
* Upper and Lower unpegged window textures

With a bit of help I can make this an excellent level by doing a complete facelift, fixing the textures, light levels, doors, adding traps, etc.