Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ezxariarch

No new Newstuff?

Havent seen any newstuff for like a month now. Is it no longer being made? Or is everyone just too busy due to school and/or work?

Kaiser said:

Every complaint here causes newstuff to be delayed by 2 months.

Maybe they could be waiting for quality material to upload?

What about posting links to your maps inside Doomworld threads? That way you get both comments and bug-hunting from used-to people.

printz said:

Maybe they could be waiting for quality material to upload?

More like, none of the dedicated reviewers has got time for /newstuff. Some of them have jobs, some have exam sessions.

ellmo said:

More like, none of the dedicated reviewers has got time for /newstuff. Some of them have jobs, some have exam sessions.

How many are there again?

Oh yeah.

Ezxariarch said:

Havent seen any newstuff for like a month now. Is it no longer being made? Or is everyone just too busy due to school and/or work?

You know, if you get tired of waiting, you could take the initiative to write it yourself.

I'm working on a possible solution to the shortage of /newstuff reviews by attempting to boost the AI of DoomBot and create a "Virtual Wad Reviewer".
On the plus side - the 'Scathing Remark Generator" module is working better than expected.
On the minus side - the Bot lacks aesthetic sensibility (it likes Glassyman's maps!), it refuses to review Vanilla maps and won't work until it's had a chance to frag my sorry hide.
I've set a provisional release date of December 2012.

In the meantime - come back deathz0r, we still love you.

GreyGhost said:

I'm working on a possible solution to the shortage of /newstuff reviews by attempting to boost the AI of DoomBot and create a "Virtual Wad Reviewer".
On the plus side - the 'Scathing Remark Generator" module is working better than expected.
On the minus side - the Bot lacks aesthetic sensibility (it likes Glassyman's maps!), it refuses to review Vanilla maps and won't work until it's had a chance to frag my sorry hide.

In the meantime - come back deathz0r, we still love you.

Use a neural network or something like that and teach it which maps look good and which dont. Eventually it will understand and judge them 'correctly'.

GreyGhost said:

Doesn't sound exciting because it will merely be a map statistics generator with a few more capabilities. It would probably be able to detect "unfair", "frustrating" points in the map, and show us something like this: "MAP25: Total Hell. This map has: 3 potentially unbalanced encounters, ammo availability is negative until estimated encounter #2; total monster encounters: 455, there's estimated need for monster infighting. Recommended for experienced Doomers." Could be good in case the readers here like bots, instead of declaredly subjective deathz0r descriptions.

But what about AlexMax? He was boasting he's a newstuff reviewer, but I haven't seen him do this for awhile.

Maybe anyone can review newstuff, but I'm not sure how one gets accepted by the admins to post it, what he's given to do and why do all reviews have the same format.

And I don't find it too fun to play wads on command, which can be overly difficult to complete, not to mention that you have to remember to have screenshots done... I'm not trying, because I'd have to play tens of wads made for varying ports which may even fail on my computers, and I have to keep sane to review them all correctly. I'm also not used to make funny introductions to reviews.

printz said:

Doesn't sound exciting because it will merely be a map statistics generator with a few more capabilities. It would probably be able to detect "unfair", "frustrating" points in the map, and show us something like this: "MAP25: Total Hell. This map has: 3 potentially unbalanced encounters, ammo availability is negative until estimated encounter #2; total monster encounters: 455, there's estimated need for monster infighting. Recommended for experienced Doomers." Could be good in case the readers here like bots, instead of declaredly subjective deathz0r descriptions.

Alternatively, you could be taking a joke seriously.

Ralphis said:

I'd rather have no newstuff reviews than deathz0r newstuff reviews

That was even meaner, than deathz0r himself!

GreyGhost said:

Just don't make it like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPBbe5fdHA

:p

Nuxius said:

I must say that - aside from constant swearing which itself is not amusing - the commentary is pretty decent.

But I just love how a synthetic, emotion-less voice says:
-I dont know where the fuck the map is telling me to go.
or
-No bullshit, you actually just find the bombs in the middle of the road.
When a computer voice statses such obvious idiotisms, it's hard not to agree.

Nuxius said:

The language is a little OTT - even by Doomworld standards - but did make some valid points. :0

Progress report - Bad news - the enhanced DoomBot thinks he can map and has joined forces with some guy called Slige! I might have to resort to Plan B.

Plan B is a hack of MBF that has the working title "Inspector Rex". The initial tests are promising - though the dogs have a preference for maps with zombies and lamp-posts. Their inability to speak is a nuisance but they are smart enough to rate maps using a variant of Scuba Steve's icon-based scoring system.
The provisional release date is unchanged. :)

esselfortium said:

Alternatively, you could be taking a joke seriously.

You know, someone may think about making something like that, so I posted anyway.