Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

Blake Stone and Planet Strike

Kid Airbag said:

Time to get cracking on the Blake Stone-for-Doom .wad.

Darkwolf was making a Blakestone TC for Doom Legacy, albeit sometime ago. I remember playing a working demo, but if I remember correctly, he ran into a few issues with Legacy that prevented him from finishing it.

Edit: linky

Blake Stone was a great game but I HATED, I mean I REALLY HATED the opening door sound, it bugged me so much!

I still remember when Doom was also on a Cd called "Doom and More" with Doom Shareware, Jetpack, God of Thunder, NiteRaid, and 2-3 other puzzle like games. I got demo of Wolf3d that also had Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold demo.

Jetpack is still freeware apparently. I used to make crazy-ass levels for that game and then make my brother try to beat them.

I find that the human enemies in Blake Stone are too powerful for the player. You can shoot them as much as you can, but they won't flinch at all, and they'll kill you for your gun's futility.

Is skill 2 more balanced with this, or already too easy? I've been playing on skills 3 and 4, but it was too annoying. Because of this, I think Doom is better than Blake Stone. It's already better thanks to the engine.

Kid Airbag said:

Jetpack is still freeware apparently. I used to make crazy-ass levels for that game and then make my brother try to beat them.

That game was awesome. I also had the Xmas edition.

alexz721 said:

It looks like a Jetpack 2 is in development: http://www.jetpackhq.com/blog/

Heh, awesome. I kind of agree with him on Civ 4. I don't think they made the game ugly, but all the 3d stuff was totally unnecessary, especially considering it makes everything aside from high-end machines cry. I mean seriously, WHY?

Coopersville said:

Crystal Caverns? Sounds familar, but I can't find anything on it that I recognize. What was it?

I think he means this.

YMB said:

I think he means this.

Haha yes that's exactly it. I just remember that that game and Secret Agent were both freaking hard for some reason. Or maybe I was just eight years old at the time and terrible at computer games.

Danarchy said:

Was that the one with the Alpha and Omega mechs?

Yes, because in 1994 with version 700 they scrapped the copyrighted battletech designs and went for original stuff.

Planky said:

Darkwolf was making a Blakestone TC for Doom Legacy, albeit sometime ago. I remember playing a working demo, but if I remember correctly, he ran into a few issues with Legacy that prevented him from finishing it.

Edit: linky

Heh, I made a small Blake Stone mod for Doomsday 1.8.x (Doom2) back then as well which reached about the same point.

Indeed, I've just found the old link and it still seems to work after all these years :o
http://www.geocities.com/bluedragon99992001/BStone4DdayMod.zip
http://www.geocities.com/bluedragon99992001/BSMod1.jpg

Certinally, Blake Stone is a very good game, though I was a little disapointed by the new foes in Planet Strike simply being the bosses and recolours from the original.

I'd been to that site but didn't notice the buy link. Thanks.

[edit]And now I have a copy :) [/edit]

Haha, I like how you can buy it on floppy disks. Towards the end, before everyone switched to CDs, some of those were getting ridiculous, with like 10 floppy disks in a box. There's a reason they had those huge clunky boxes. Then they switched to CDs and you had a CD in the corner of the box, a small manual (maybe), and a ton of empty space. Took them nearly a decade to realize that was stupid and downsize to the ones we have now. Man, I get so much nostalgia from stuff like this.

I do believe I was hooked on wolf 3d,then Blakestone,and then doom.
I think that creating a Blakestone TC would be a great project to tackle,even if it only was 10 levels.Ahh nostalgia...

[edit]

Danarchy said:

Haha, I like how you can buy it on floppy disks. Towards the end, before everyone switched to CDs, some of those were getting ridiculous, with like 10 floppy disks in a box. There's a reason they had those huge clunky boxes. Then they switched to CDs and you had a CD in the corner of the box, a small manual (maybe), and a ton of empty space. Took them nearly a decade to realize that was stupid and downsize to the ones we have now. Man, I get so much nostalgia from stuff like this.

Ha,i still have the box for doom collectors edition.

Haloless0320 said:

who cares

that thing is so freaking common it's not really for collectors.

Haloless0320 said:

Ha! I still have the dodgy thin cardboard box and disks that someone at id software, probably John Romero (kidding), lovingly packaged up and sent to me in December of '93. :P

leileilol said:

who cares

that thing is so freaking common it's not really for collectors.

I don't really care if it's for collectors or not.I'm just saying that i keep all my pc game boxes.

Your opinion is N/A.

Enjay said:

Ha! I still have the dodgy thin cardboard box and disks that someone at id software, probably John Romero (kidding), lovingly packaged up and sent to me in December of '93. :P

Damn,that's a way back.I can't remember where I got doom from the first time.Whoever loaned it to me also loaned me Blakestone prior to that.

Heh, for once I agree with you cats. Blake Stone was pretty legit, I honestly enjoyed it more than Wolf3D.

I can see an ad for it (plus Wolfenstein) on the back insert of my Doom Companion edition CD. Now there's a classic. Probably also totally illegal.

Apogee and Epic really were great, it's a shame the PC game industry will never be like that again. I personally blame Quake.

Grimm said:

Apogee and Epic really were great, it's a shame the PC game industry will never be like that again. I personally blame Quake.

Word. I don't blame Quake, though I did a long time ago. It was stuff that came later that created the downfall of PC games.

Actually, yeah, I'd forgotten how buzzy, fresh, new and exciting the games world was back then, but when you think about it, it really was.

[old_man_mode]Kids these days don't know they're born.[/old_man_mode]

Actually, I'm not sure I miss shareware games because the defining thing I remember about the shareware years is how impossible it was for me to get full games. All I could could do was buy (!) shareware games from the silly sollys. Every game I played was a massive cock tease :(

"You beat that boss guy but oh noses! He wasn't the REAL bad guy! Here's some kick ass screenshots from the full game you have no chance of playing because to own it you have to send money to some far away place which you can't do because you don't have a credit card because you're 9 years old and you're parents wouldn't ever order anything for you ever."
Way to ruin up my childhood jerks >:(

Grimm said:

I can see an ad for it (plus Wolfenstein) on the back insert of my Doom Companion edition CD. Now there's a classic. Probably also totally illegal.

It has the shareware games plus an ad for the Doom Companion Edition on the back. :-)