Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RazTK

ZDoom 2.2.0 released

After quite some time now, Randy has finally released v2.2.0. The new version introduces tons of fixes, imporvements and new features over the last one. Get it now!

After far too long, ZDoom 2.2.0 has finally been released. There have been a lot of changes—too many for me to list here—that can be found in the changelog. This release is also accompanied by a new version of ACC, which I quietly uploaded last night. Both are available from the standard place on the downloads page.

Wow, it sure has been a long time. I hope official releases will become more frequent, as changes in the Subversion repository can often be temporary or unstable, which doesn't help mappers/modders a whole lot.

Does this mean that GZDoom will pick up again?

RazTK said:

The new version introduces tons of fixes, improvements and new features over the last one. Get it now!

Where? The changelog suggests only cosmetic fixes.

ellmo said:

Where? The changelog suggests only cosmetic fixes.

There are fixes for 2.1.7 bugs and fixes for stuff that were added afterwards. Thanks to the SVN there was a lot of progress since then. This ought to be a very stable release.
Surely you didn't read the whole changelog from r366 to r747 (i.e. 2.2.0)? :>

The main changes wad authors will care about are custom status bars (SBARINFO), custom DECORATE state labels, plenty of powerup additions from SkullTag, custom difficulty options (MAPINFO) and plenty of new actor flags, properties, functions (aka codepointers) and ACS functions. Check the wiki out if you need more info.

And DoomScript might be around the corner according to certain posts ;)

Zdoom 2.2.0 adds a new renderer that should be faster than the old method with modern computers. Skulltag functions have been added. Scoreboard options have been added, and so has a bunch of other little things you'll notice when crawling around the menu and console.

The linux port is also very stable! maybe in the future zdoom for linux will be using hardware acceleration.... I sure hope so. :(

Csonicgo said:

Zdoom 2.2.0 adds a new renderer that should be faster than the old method with modern computers.

The only thing that is new is hardware accelerated rendering for 2D graphics like title pictures, status bars, fonts etc. However, this is only available on Windows because it uses Direct3D.

If Mordeth E2, Raynor's Tale, Void 2, and Action Doom 2 were all released at this exact moment, it would be half as epic as this.

Craigs said:

If Mordeth E2, Raynor's Tale, Void 2, and Action Doom 2 were all released at this exact moment, it would be half as epic as this.

Um, no.

Craigs said:

No, It would be 100x more awesome*

*This is an estimate, user measures of awesome may vary. All forward looking statements were beleived to be true at the time of writing.

Szymanski said:

*This is an estimate, user measures of awesome may vary. All forward looking statements were beleived to be true at the time of writing.

And, as I put it a while ago in a message to someone whose job includes writing/approving these pharmaceutical disclaimers:

** A feeling of awe cannot be guaranteed in all cases. If in doubt, consult your physician before trying Awesome®.

Bloodshedder said:

2.1.7, the last version, was released on October 31, 2006. You do the math.

RazTK said:

Surely you didn't read the whole changelog from r366 to r747 (i.e. 2.2.0)? :>

I'm still a bit ignorant when it comes to the SVN thingy.
Now I can see there is something done since last released version.

Reckoner said:

Does this mean that GZDoom will pick up again?

Janitor said:

does this mean that GZDoom will be updated as well?

GZDoom has been updated to 1.10, however, DRDTeam has been down for most of the day.

So what is new in this then? Would anyone who has dedicated the time required to comprehend the changelog like to paraphrase it for us less dedicated folk?

Alright after playing with 2.2.0 for awhile it does indeed run way better on my Vista machine. However, I cannot stand the new save system. When you save it shows up at the top the exact save location its saving to path and all. It takes up almost 1/3 of my screen. What happened to just "game saved?" Its really annoying especially if you like to have that that Hi-res message text option checked. (Which I must on my 1680x1050 resolution)

Anyway to disable this or get the old way back?

A feature suggestion has already been posted about this issue. A new option has been added that allows you to choose whether you want a short or a detailed message. I suggest you to get a build of the latest source if it bothers you that much.