Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SSNTails

Convert Doom maps to a 3d model

Has anyone made a tool that will convert a Doom map into a 3d model for import into a program such as Maya, 3D Studio MAX, or Milkshape?

I've never heard of such a thing, however if something like that existed, it would be pretty cool. I'd have some uses for it, if only to play around with it.

Considering doom is basically 2.5D, you'd have much better luck finding a program that converts Quake series maps that use true 3D.

Your best bet would be to ask that one of the hardware rendering sourceports add this feature for you. It would actually be fairly trivial to do (say to a .3ds file) and in return it would be quite useful for debugging purposes.

Would be more logical to have an "export map as" feature in a map editor to do this... I'll consider it for Doom Builder 2 (or at least support it by way of plugin, I myself honestly don't care for a feature like this).

Steeveeo said:

Considering doom is basically 2.5D, you'd have much better luck finding a program that converts Quake series maps that use true 3D.

Actually, the Doom3 editor does that.

AFAIK There's a converter that converts Doom maps into Quake maps afaik. So you can covert it into a quake/Doom3 .map and then into a Wavefront .obj file using D3edit.

Steeveeo said:

Not if you compile a map using glbsp. Then its concidered ready to be rendered as full 3D.

kristus said:

AFAIK There's a converter that converts Doom maps into Quake maps

Anybody got an idea what program is that and where I can find it? I want a program that converts doom maps into quake maps.

Thanks

fraggin said:

Anybody got an idea what program is that and where I can find it? I want a program that converts doom maps into quake maps.

Thanks

Try this

CodeImp said:

Would be more logical to have an "export map as" feature in a map editor to do this... I'll consider it for Doom Builder 2 (or at least support it by way of plugin, I myself honestly don't care for a feature like this).

This is a neat idea and I approve of providing the pathways for a plugin to do this at the very least.

Steeveeo said:

Nonsense, considering that in the level editors both Doom and Quake maps' architecture is made up of vertices, there's no fundamental difference at all. With Doom you just have to get the Z coordinates from the sector floor and ceiling height instead of them being properties of the vertices themselves.

Actually, since Doom maps have certain restrictions on geometry (like one vertex of a sector that is drawn on the map has always TWO vertices in the same (X,Y) coordinates; both floor and ceiling) it could be even more simple to convert to a 3D model that a Quake map would be.