Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xeriphas1994

Ebay User Boycott Feb. 18 -> Feb. 25

Recommended Posts

Good thing you told me, I was so going to buy that William Shatner collector's plate.


What this sounds like to me is the crying of a select few people that thought that ebay would stay ebay and 1999 would stay 1999.

I still can't believe people actually made selling items on ebay.com a full time job. People that did so only have themselves to blame, as ebay has been taking advantage of such tools since the site began. Ebay exists to make money, not to help people sell/buy/trade goods over the Internet. Of course, since these people probably had no plan B, they're screwed.

Of course, you're pretty much screwed anyway when you're selling 10,000 plastic forks over the Internet.

Share this post


Link to post

Some people are as thick as fucking shit

If i could afford it i'd head over there right now, search "Sexton Blake" and buy all 200-odd items that come up, even an imported CD from that obscure local band from America somewhere. As it is i did buy a bound edition of "The Boy's Friend", whole year of it from 1903-1904. Charles Hamilton FTW

Share this post


Link to post

If you're going to boycott something, this seems like an incredibly stupid way of going about it. "Hey guys! Don't buy or sell anything for a week! That'll show 'em!" And then, of course, all of the transactions that didn't happen during that week because of the boycott will simply be made the following week and eBay's bottom-line remains untouched. This is just like those stupid emails that used to go around suggesting people not buy gasoline on a certain day of the year: absolutely pointless.

Share this post


Link to post

Man, those are pretty fucked up changes, but:

1). I've never used eBay, so this doesn't effect me. I don't use it because they seem to rely on PayPal, which IMHO is a pretty shady organisation. That and I rarely have the money to go hunting items over the internet. If I want something so badly, I'll go to Amazon.

2). Why have the boycott be during a certain date range? Why not just stop using it now then never use it again unless they change back. A week of no sales is pretty bad, but it's not going to put a corporation enough in the hole for them to notice.

3). People who use eBay to make all their money need to stop whining and GET A REAL FUCKING JOB.

deathbringer said:

Some people are as thick as fucking shit

If i could afford it i'd head over there right now, search "Sexton Blake" and buy all 200-odd items that come up, even an imported CD from that obscure local band from America somewhere. As it is i did buy a bound edition of "The Boy's Friend", whole year of it from 1903-1904. Charles Hamilton FTW

What does anything you just said have to do with the conversation at hand?

Share this post


Link to post
Danarchy said:

I don't use it because they seem to rely on PayPal, which IMHO is a pretty shady organisation.

[/B]They don't rely on PayPal, they own it. And I don't think PayPal really started to get criticism until well after eBay purchased it, which raises the question of which is really shady: the parent or the child?

Danarchy said:

People who use eBay to make all their money need to stop whining and GET A REAL FUCKING JOB.

I see nothing wrong with using eBay to make a living. One should be prepared for changes like this, of course, but I don't see how such a job is any less "real" than any other.

Danarchy said:

What does anything you just said have to do with the conversation at hand?

I think he meant that he wanted to buy those things to spite the boycotters.

Share this post


Link to post

Ebay allows many small businesses to get a start into e-commerce, and what the fuck is wrong with that? You guys need to quit fucking bitching over other peoples successes.

Sure Ebay are largely viewed as bad guys, what large corporation that deals with a lot of people isn't seen to be the same?

One of my housemates actually runs an ebay business, and it keeps her afloat at uni, taking far less time than a 'real fucking job' would, allowing her more time to study. Are any of you going to tell her that her job sucks and she needs to get a 'real' one?

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

Ebay allows many small businesses to get a start into e-commerce, and what the fuck is wrong with that? You guys need to quit fucking bitching over other peoples successes.

Sure Ebay are largely viewed as bad guys, what large corporation that deals with a lot of people isn't seen to be the same?

One of my housemates actually runs an ebay business, and it keeps her afloat at uni, taking far less time than a 'real fucking job' would, allowing her more time to study. Are any of you going to tell her that her job sucks and she needs to get a 'real' one?

I think the comment was more directed at people who just work the system by buying shit and reselling it for more. I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with using ebay as a storefront for your own merchandise.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×