Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Creaphis

My First Level Release

Don't let the thread title scare you, I promise that this level is playable. I don't want to wait until the next /newstuff chronicle for somebody to see my efforts, so I'm putting the link here. Have fun!

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15220

Reviews, criticism, etc. are welcome.
Read the text file first.

(Thanks for the link, Nuxius.)

This was fun and had some interesting stuff (the blood trickling into the sewage looks nice and the saws). You know way more mapping tricks than me (conveyor belt, sluggish movement in sewage etc). Linear levels often lack in replay value and are more fun if you save (because if you die you have to begin the relatively same linear sequence over again- and putting something like a hidden chaingunner can make you die kind of easy on the first playthrough. Its easy on the 2nd playthrough though with no surprise element.). The berzerk made it more fun though (no sense in offering a chainsaw later since berzerk is better anyway and then you have to cycle past the chainsaw when you press '1').

Didn't you make it so killing the pain elementals causes the trigger for something at the end? How do you do that (I use zdoom/doombuilder)?

Yeah, the main thing I'm not proud of in this map is my linear layout. I never planned any areas ahead of time and just made them piece by piece, and I should have planned much further ahead to make a more organic structure. I find it fun like this, in an arcade sort of way, but I understand that there isn't tons of replay value here.

None of the mapping tricks I used are particularly difficult. I read boomref.txt and just thought of some interesting ways that I could use simple boom effects together.

The pain elementals' death doesn't trigger anything. That door opens with line type 16 (close for 30 seconds, open) and it just so happens that the last fight takes about 30 seconds.

Glad to see you finished this. I had a lot of fun playing it...it took me 3 attempts, but that's just because I suck. Anyways, I thought you did a very good job with detail and the little effects, and I was wanting more when the map finally finished. I hope you make more maps in the future Creaphis :)

Well, if by "finished" you mean "decided to scrap most of the plan", then yeah, I finished it... :)

Glad you like it.

Creaphis said:

Well, if by "finished" you mean "decided to scrap most of the plan", then yeah, I finished it... :)

Glad you like it.

Heh, I won't tell anyone ;)

This was very good and very challenging. Limited ammo, but with enough punching power. It is different. You use a lot of good tricks. Traps, visuals are great :-)

This is a very nice level. You've obviosly studied up on mapping before your first release =). The detailing and gameplay were all very nice. I thought the difficulty was pretty balanced - I got through it on my first try with 57% health. As you mentioned in your text file, I got stuck at that "certain point" in the map and had to look in my editor to figure out what to do. I'd suggest perhaps an arrow of light to point the player in the right direction. Otherwise, I'd say your map is perfect.

Nice Work!!! =)

this was very fun i like the challengingness of it yet it didn't hang me off to die at every single corner. I don't like how you used map 30 though cause I had to go into doom builder to run it and i don't know how to skip levels in gzdoom. I also misread the title of this topic and i thought that this was the first level you ever made.LOL

stickguy5000 said:

I don't like how you used map 30 though cause I had to go into doom builder to run it and i don't know how to skip levels in gzdoom.

IDCLEV30

or bring down the console and type "map map30" (without the quotes)

I put this level on Map30 so that I could take advantage of monster-telefragging for a couple effects. I could probably have replicated these tricks in other map slots, but I just left it on map 30 for the telefragging and music. (It's convenient.) Originally, this was going to be a much larger map, where the fact that it's on map30 would have been more significant.

I actually did put a couple pointer arrows in the level, but I suppose they're difficult to spot and show up at an unhelpful time. If I update this wad I'll fix that.

I also misread the title of this topic and i thought that this was the first level you ever made.LOL

It really is! (If you don't count my first attempt at this same map idea, which is the same as the first dungeon area, except ugly and cramped.) This is attempt #2. Fortunately for you, the public, I'm anal enough to keep working on something until I know it's good enough.

You've obviosly studied up on mapping before your first release =).

Correct! I've done a lot of reading, and I have a great memory for this sort of thing. Also, I seem to have a natural knack for figuring out how to build simple things (Boom extended linedefs) into advanced structures (a conveyor belt instant-death corpse juicing machine).

Personally I like linear layouts. I like knowing where the author intended us to go next.

The map was very nicely done. Quite enjoyable to play as well.

My only gripe was the severely limited ammo supply. Others won't mind that at all, but it does bother me. I am not to big a fan of taking on a rev. with only a pistol or even less, since my tyson skills suck.

Great job overall. Hope to see more of your work in the future.