Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyabusa

Custom Made Monsters?

Okay I was on ZDaemon (The online Doom thing) and I saw some new things, like shotgun guys and Arachnotrons that looked like the marine and a green cocodemon that was green and shot like a burst shot of flames. How do you make monsters like these?

Sprites can be made in any painting program.

Making new bad guys in the game it'self however, varies from port to port. For instance, a new monster made in Doomsday won't work in ZDoom and a new monster made in ZDoom won't work in Doomsday.

I know what you played there...

New monsters are done by modifying graphics and also modifying behaviors with DeHackEd or the like. The wad you played has a DEHACKED lump in it with instructions for how the new monsters will behave. By using things and frames not used by anything else (or by anything you need) you can add monsters over all the existing ones, like Toke did.

okay I downloaded DehackEd but it wont run... why? Is there something special I need to do before I can run it?

You need to edit the paths to your doom and doom2 (the original programs, not your port) exes and wads. Or use Whacked2 as it doesnt require all that farting about and "just works"

If you want to make TOTALLY new monsters, which don't replace any old ones (so you can have two types of caco and place them both in maps independently), it's best to use one of the port specific things such as DECORATE in Zdoom, DDF in EDGE, EDF in Eternity etc, as these let you make all-new weapons and monsters easily, you only have to make the graphics and sounds (or steal them from hexen/heretic/strife/other wads-everybody else does it). Dehacked can be fun for experimenting and trying to do weird things in though, and some great effects can be obtained though it requires a decent amount of practice to get used to what everything does

I downloaded Whacked2 but it dont work. I tried to extract the folder and there was nothing in it. I tried redownloading it twice and the same result.

I can't really help on giving tips on how to make custom monsters...but all i can say is i would like to see more custom made monsters...like that one in Scythe 2 a mix of a baron of hell with revenant(because he shoot homing fireball like they do)and also he float...

Sorry for my off-topic comment...i just wanted to say it really :P

You can also use custom defined enemies with zDoom using DECORATE lumps. You can check at http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=38&Itemid=105. for many new enemies. The advantage of DECORATE lumps is that you can define as many new enemies as you like (also missiles, static objects, etc). If you use the dehacked lump you must modify an existing enemy, witch will not be available in your wad after that.

jval said:

You can also use custom defined enemies with zDoom using DECORATE lumps. You can check at http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=38&Itemid=105. for many new enemies. The advantage of DECORATE lumps is that you can define as many new enemies as you like (also missiles, static objects, etc). If you use the dehacked lump you must modify an existing enemy, witch will not be available in your wad after that.

And there I was thinking this would be a thread where someone didn't claim ZDoom as the answer in this way.

P.S I don't mean the above as a flame. I use many port's myself. I'm just saying that ZDoom isn't the only port with the ability to create mew monsters (maybe with differing levels of flexibility mind).

Vermil said:

And there I was thinking this would be a thread where someone didn't claim ZDoom as the answer in this way.

P.S I don't mean the above as a flame. I use many port's myself. I'm just saying that ZDoom isn't the only port with the ability to create mew monsters (maybe with differing levels of flexibility mind).

It's not the only:

DelphiDoom custom actor definition:
http://delphidoom.sitesled.com/documentation/custom_actors.html

Legacy custom actor definition:
http://forums.newdoom.com/archive/index.php/t-32213.html

etc.

Indeed, the point was that there are more options than ZDoom, Decorate and Dehacked out there (even if the above links don't nescerrilly show that :p).