Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Deus Vult II: First Edition Released

The first edition is here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15238

Update 1: Minor fixes to Map29 as suggested by Belial.

DVII-1u (2008-02-25)
Update 1: Map20's Thing 62 and 444 are no longer stuck together on skill 1/2.
Update 2: The entrance torches of Map20 now have the correct offset display.

DVII-1u (2008-02-24)
Update 1: Map19 has been restored to its original state to sync with Anima's and Belial's UV-Max demos.
Update 2: Updated DVII-1u textfile, with another subsection on author input.
Update 3: Map31 is now known as "The Manliest Fight EVER."
Update 4: DVII-1u.zip now comes bundled with entryway's latest PrBoom-Plus 2.4.8.3-Test, which has sky transfer fixes.

DVII-1u (2008-02-22f)
Update 1: Thanks to hawkwind, all of the teleport objects in Map19 are now flagged with strictly easy, medium, and hard. Anima's and Belial's UV-Max demos is still synced with this updated Map19.

DVII-1u (2008-02-22e)
Update 1: Thanks to hawkwind, the base teleporter in Map01 now works on skill 1... Anima's UV-Max demo is still synced with this updated Map01. Yay!
Update 2: The resources belonging to Nimrod are now cleared from the latest version of DVII-1u.wad. Thank God.

DVII-1u (2008-02-22c)
Update 1: Thanks to entryway, the latest version of DVII-1u.wad now comes bundled with PrBoom-Plus 2.4.8.3-Beta.
Update 2: Removed another resource that belongs to Kristus' Nimrod.
Update 3: Belial UV-Maxed Map31 with a phenomenal sub-3 minute performance. This demo is now included in the latest version of DVII, of course, must see!

DVII-1u (2008-02-22c)
Update 1: Thanks to entryway, the latest version of DVII-1u.wad can now run in the latest version of PrBoom+ (2.4.8.2).
Update 2: Removed and replaced a resource that belongs to Kristus' Nimrod. I hope you get my PM soon Kristus.

NOTE(S):

Despite all the updates, the maps are FINALIZED, the maps can only be changed if it DOES NOT break any of the UV-Max demos included with DVII-1u.zip.

The "skip map" levels are absolutely necessary, since different skies are required for the actual fleshed-out levels. "Skip Map" allows for sequential progression of secret levels and usage of sky textures from all three episodes (the hell levels would not be hell without a third episode sky). Most of the skip maps are only encountered in PrBoom, and when you play DVII sequentially (without IDCLEVing) from Map01 in ZDoom or GZDoom, many of the skip maps will not be encountered, since MAPINFO is smart enough to ignore the Skip Maps.

If you are not clear about certain aspects of DVII, a detailed textfile by the name of DVII-1u.txt is included with DVII.zip. I recommend reading it.

This mod includes resources taken from my project Nimrod, w/o given consent. Please remove them at once.

Map29 is surprising, but I let the pleasure to discover it to all guys there :)
Hmmm after a quick view, I think themes are well executed, but few things haven't pleased me : like customs sounds, the strange looking double pistol, skip maps wich are crap (why do not group each maps one after the other ?)
It's still a great job !

I can't launch the wad with prboom-plus, tested with zdoom...

Amazing sum's up my opinion, especially the pace from what I've played so far. I liked the idea of the double pistol to speed up the beginning, though I might tweak the graphics for them.

Though like K!r4 says, the "skip" maps seemed a bit pointless.

From a quick glance at some of the later maps, I noticed that the conveyer's in the transportation ring's aren't fast enough to prevent the player from being able to run against it.

I also prehaps wouldn't have included maps from the later themes in this release, for spoiler purposes. I think releasing by "episodes" might have been better.

K!r4 said:
I can't launch the wad with prboom-plus,

Indeed, which means one can't watch all the cool demos. There's a missing texture that doesn't allow it to work.

wow 175mb unzipped, looked inside the wad with xwe, are all those textures/video frames really used? seems alot. great maps tho!

myk said:

Indeed, which means one can't watch all the cool demos. There's a missing texture that doesn't allow it to work.

Make sure you're using the version of PRBoom Plus provided with the wad. I remember trying to run it with 2.4.8.2 and got that texture error. 2.4.8.1 works fine for me though.

The newest versions of PrBoom-plus should probably give you a warning message instead of an error which prevents you from playing the wad.
On the other hand, there is still a bug in the wad. (And yes the included pr+ version does work with it).

The switches lump defines like, a zillion new switches, and for whatever reason the new version of pr+ requires that all those switches have textures associated with them regardless of whether they're being used or not.

Either the switches lump should be trimmed of useless switch entries, or dummy textures should be supplied for all the extra switches.

There could also be other problems with it I have not found yet, but I think that's the main issue. Perhaps someone could confirm/correct what I've found.

Oh yes! These are very good levels. I have tested them and will play through them later, good work and now finish the rest of the levels :-P !

I warped around some of the maps, mostly skipping the earlier ones. Why I can't say. I encountered the skip maps and agree with others that they're pointless, but I understand why they are there. If you never complete those maps, it might be best to remove them and close the gap.

The first map I really started playing was Minas Mogul. The first area is pretty nice. I couldn't figure out why there was so much slowdown when looking down the cavernous green corridor behind the yellow gate. That was until I was overlooking it on the ledge past the yellow skull key...holy shit that is a lot of imps!

I tried playing seriously through that and was sort of successful until the horde was too much. I don't consider myself a terrible player, but that was insane. I decided to restart the map and just type "kill monsters" to cheat my way through to see the rest of the map. I was disappointed to find that the green fortress was a boring hallway filled with hundreds of monsters and archvile ambushes mixed with spider and cyberdemons. Despite cheating, I have to say that I hate the map. I'll give it another go, but I doubt my mind will change.

Fortunately, the map right after it, Eagle's Nest, is genius. It's an ironically claustrophobic affair up the mountain as you try to navigate the narrow ledges with clever monsters ambushes. I love how the green bushes hide everything, but in a fair way. It was very tense and enjoyable, even if I only got about 4 minutes into the level before dying. :D

I'll try out the rest of the maps and tell you what I think!

This looks friggin spectacular.. Thanks!
(aw crap, zdoom has a new version out, bye all previous version demos)

Yeesh, I noticed that bug while playing it through GLBoom before, but I just wrongly assumed that it was one of those freaky slimetrail/HOM problems. I can't really fix that problem without rebuilding the nodes, which would break Anima's beautiful DVII-01-1:48 demo :(

Doom Marine said:

Yeesh, I noticed that bug while playing it through GLBoom before, but I just wrongly assumed that it was one of those freaky slimetrail/HOM problems. I can't really fix that problem without rebuilding the nodes, which would break Anima's beautiful DVII-01-1:48 demo :(

Should not break compatibility (with the same nodebuilder) In any case I can fix it directly in hex editor, but it's too big to reupload :)

Where is other places with HOMs?

You should not use prboom 2481 for this wad because of:

2.4.8.2 @ 2007-10-16

• Improved precision. There are no more HOM's on maps with big open areas: nuts.wad at some positions, thespir2.wad at the start, Generator of Evil.wad in last room, MAP05 @ epic.wad. everywhere, etc.

• It was great improvement in 2482 (thanks to Graf Zahl) You MUST use 2.4.8.2 or higher (2482 has small bug with skies in some situations, thus I suggest the latest beta)

P.S. With quick look I can't find any places with HOM on 2483.
    http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html
    So if you want to put port in zip (generally it's bad idea) you must use the latest beta IMO

Entryway: Fixed Map01's sector 283, Anima's demo was able to run with the latest map01 node rebuild!

I will package PrBoom+ 2.4.8.2 with the next update... which I'm working on frantically... Looking into the DVII-1u textfile and reducing the Buglist and changing PrBoom information accordingly.

Doom Marine said:

linkie? I can't find it, make it fast for me please... back to DVII textfile modificaton: 2.4.8.3

It's not released but I hope it's stable
    http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html
    http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/prboom-plus-2.4.8.3.test-win32.zip

You can test it with demos (to be sure). I do not want, because I want to play it myself before

Why you so hurry up?

I noticed that the sky transfer action linedefs doesn't work in the later versions of PrBoom+ anymore, but I'll still package 2.4.8.3 in the next build.

Doom Marine said:

I noticed that the sky transfer action linedefs doesn't work in the later versions of PrBoom+ anymore, but I'll still package 2.4.8.3 in the next build.

[-] Sky property-transfer linedef types (271, 272) should not be applied for BOOM complevels.

Now you can use "-allow_sky_transfer_in_boom"

I think I'll return old behaviour in release

I can make it immediately and reupload

entryway said:

[-] Sky property-transfer linedef types (271, 272) should not be applied for BOOM complevels.

Now you can use "-allow_sky_transfer_in_boom"

I think I'll return old behaviour in release

I can make it immediately and reupload

Cool! post link when you've updated, I'll include that version of PrBoom+ in DVII!

K!r4 said:

Damn, I've ejaculated in my pant...

Really? I ejaculated twice just looking at the title of this thread.